Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 9E last week after a couple of weeks of internal debate. My wife works from home and we wanted something that had more capacity than a single stack so this will reside in the gun vault behind her desk. We both enjoy shooting the gun, but have noticed a couple of possible issues. First, the slide has not locked back after the last round on 3 occasions (100 rounds downrange) I'm not panicking on this yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on it. 2nd, my wife likes to shoot Critical Defense Light ammo and it seems that the 9E doesn't like that round. First round goes without an issue, but it either FTF or FTE for the 2nd round. The cartridge does seem shorter than the FMJ that we practice with so that may be an issue. Just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Haven't had the issues but if I was to guess. The fte is probably caused by a stiff recoil spring. Galloway sells lower strength springs. It could solve that issue. Have read a lot of post seems fail to lock open happens often. I believe if you contact ruger they will replace your magazine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't had the issues but if I was to guess. The fte is probably caused by a stiff recoil spring. Galloway sells lower strength springs. It could solve that issue. Have read a lot of post seems fail to lock open happens often. I believe if you contact ruger they will replace your magazine.
Thanks for your input. I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Just putting this out there...semis' can be ammo finicky causing cycling issues. Many Glock 42's will not function well with anything under 95gr stuff. Try a heavier grain defense round and see what happens...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree with both responses. I would try a different defensive round (little heavier) and the not locking back sounds like a magazine issue and Ruger will take care of that.
The SR9E is on my to get list if I ever find one locally.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a SR9 and it loves any defense HP ammo at 115 gr and above, I now carry 124 gr Federal Champion ammo JHP and it shoots it well. I agree with others try a larger grain round for carry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I contacted Ruger and they sent out a new magazine. Received it the next day. I purchased a second magazine also and have put 100 rounds down range and have no issues with the slide failing to lock back on the final round.

I asked about the Critical Defense light ammo issue I was having and the rep confirmed that the round is likely too under pressured to push the recoil spring sufficiently. That is not an issue, we'll just keep looking!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I contacted Ruger and they sent out a new magazine. Received it the next day. I purchased a second magazine also and have put 100 rounds down range and have no issues with the slide failing to lock back on the final round.

I asked about the Critical Defense light ammo issue I was having and the rep confirmed that the round is likely too under pressured to push the recoil spring sufficiently. That is not an issue, we'll just keep looking!
Bayou, that Hornady lite 9mm ammo, at a 100 grain bullet, is just too light for the full size 9E. Their 115 grain Critical Defense ammo, will function a Ruger SR series just fine, or at least it does my SR9c.

You have to keep in mind that the 9mm was originally designed for a 124 grain bullet, so that lite ammo is about 25% under that.

With the slide not locking back, as others mentioned, that is usually a magazine issue. # your mags so you can get a feel for the problem being associated with just 1 mag, or both.
When we 1st got my wife's Sig SP2022 in 9mm, it took about 500 round to stop doing that completely, so stay with it, but if it persists, just contact Ruger for a new mag.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I now have 2 magazines and do have them numbered. I've shot 100 rounds with no issues (115 gr PMC Bronze) and my wife did 100 of the same ammo. Original magazine that had an issue is on it's way back to Ruger. She had 1 magazine that the slide didn't lock back after firing. We'll keep an eye on it.

We have abandoned the Critical defense light. We may try the Ruger ARX. I've put some of that through my Glock 19 with no problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts