Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's new, but I got it a few weeks ago. I've been busy preparing to move (finishing my upstairs- so sick of drywall! ;) ) and I had a baby boy last week. So, life has been busy!

I have had a hankering to get another snub and a 9mm. I would love a SP, Speed, or even a S&W 940, but the prices are usually over $800. So, I searched for a different revolver. The Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm is just a tease- they do not actually exist (right, Weblance? :D). Taurus makes a nice little package that is affordable and available.

I bought a Taurus 85UL last year and it was great. I sold it for no reason and I wanted to get another small framed Taurus, so this was win-win. I checked around and found a nice stainless model in Texas. Bought it. Shipped it. Transfered it. Here it is!

I will hopefully shoot it soon (end of May if not sooner). I checked it over real well. The craftsmanship is quite excellent. The finish is nicely bead blasted similar to my Wiley Clapp GP (I love bead blasted stainless). It uses moon clips for the 9mm round, but it can be fired without them as well. The trigger pull reminds me of the excellent pull on the 85. DA is good, SA is great. If it shoots straight and reliably, I will add it as a carry piece. It rides well in the pocket. Anyways, here it is.

The Taurus 905 9mm snub. :cool:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Congrats on your new baby boy and on your new snubbie!

Let us know how it shoots.

The Taurus, that is. Don't want to wait till your son is old enough !

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've been thinking about one as well ,my edc in the summer is a J frame Smith and a CZ copy in the winter so two years ago I reduced my firearms down to fewer caliber's . WTS the 9mm has always been a favorite for practice and carry and since my love for a revolver has only grown it makes sence to consider a 9mm ... I'm still on the fence with the Taurus line (just bought a Rossi Plinker) so if it all works out ill consider either the CA or the Tauri .Ive heard some pros and cons of the caliber in a revolver but being around firearms my whole life i realize evey caliber has some...keep us posted on its performance the are others's who would like to know. Oh btw congrats on your other new addition

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
First congratulations on the birth of your son. Give our respect to your wife, I think she had a lot to do with having him.

Now, nice looking revolver I know you have been looking for a while. I have a 1992 model 85 in 38 sp. And it is a great gun I did have to do some work on the trigger and replaced the springs with a set from Wolff. It sounds like Taurus has gotten the message that shooters like smooth triggers. If I ever decide to let the 85 go I just might look hard at the 9. I am looking forward to a range report.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase and your new son! I have been having a hankering for a Model 85 myself as of late...

·
223 deer slayer
1,857 Posts
Congrats on the baby boy. Did you name home Ruger? Lol. Been out of the loop and kinda bummed you didn't text me. Congrats again!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your son. I know you have been wanting the 905 for some time. I think you will find its an excellent little snub. You will be surprised at the recoil for the first few cylinders. I was. Its between 38+P, and .357. I always leave a few moon clips laying on the rail at the range when shooting it, so that other shooters know its something different. That has struck up quite a few enjoyable conversations over the couple years that I have owned my 905.

Have fun, post a range report when you can.

Looking at your picture again... Is there a caliber designation on the right side of the barrel? Mine says "9mm Para". I dont see that on yours...

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Wow!
New baby boy -- Congratulations to both of you.
Remodeling
Getting ready to move to Tennessee.
A new nice looking 9MM revolver
You are living the American dream and that is terrific ;)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Congrats on the baby and the gun:)

I've had several of the 905's in my hands at gun shops but never bought one, I did have an M380 that I traded for an 82.

My main calibers are .38/.357 and 9mm, and also now .40. The idea of a revolver that can use 9mm is awesome.

I always figured I'd split the difference and get a Blackhawk 9mm convertible.

The Taurus .40 snub was also intriguing but I believe they dropped those.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Many congratulations on your new son! You will be busy. Just waiting for that news that you have escaped to Tennessee. :D

And congratulations on the revolver. My son-in-law has been thinking about getting one. Looking forward to hearing a report from you on how it shoots.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on your new baby boy and on your new snubbie!

Let us know how it shoots.

The Taurus, that is. Don't want to wait till your son is old enough !
Thank you! I will let you know about the 905. The boy shoots everywhere! Gotta change those diapers fast! ;)

I've been thinking about one as well ,my edc in the summer is a J frame Smith and a CZ copy in the winter so two years ago I reduced my firearms down to fewer caliber's . WTS the 9mm has always been a favorite for practice and carry and since my love for a revolver has only grown it makes sence to consider a 9mm ... I'm still on the fence with the Taurus line (just bought a Rossi Plinker) so if it all works out ill consider either the CA or the Tauri .Ive heard some pros and cons of the caliber in a revolver but being around firearms my whole life i realize evey caliber has some...keep us posted on its performance the are others's who would like to know. Oh btw congrats on your other new addition
Will do! Hopefully it makes me happy like the 85UL

Love my Taurus 85's...9mm, interesting.
I thought so! :)

First congratulations on the birth of your son. Give our respect to your wife, I think she had a lot to do with having him.

Now, nice looking revolver I know you have been looking for a while. I have a 1992 model 85 in 38 sp. And it is a great gun I did have to do some work on the trigger and replaced the springs with a set from Wolff. It sounds like Taurus has gotten the message that shooters like smooth triggers. If I ever decide to let the 85 go I just might look hard at the 9. I am looking forward to a range report.
Thank you! The trigger is very nice. I am excited to see it in action! :cool:

Congratulations on the birth of your boy Neon!...oh and nice gun.
Thanks! He is #2! :)

Congrats on the new purchase and your new son! I have been having a hankering for a Model 85 myself as of late...
They are nice. Event the 605 is a great shooter!

Congrats on the baby boy. Did you name home Ruger? Lol. Been out of the loop and kinda bummed you didn't text me. Congrats again!
Sorry :eek: I tried to text for lost time ;) :D

Congratulations on the birth of your son. I know you have been wanting the 905 for some time. I think you will find its an excellent little snub. You will be surprised at the recoil for the first few cylinders. I was. Its between 38+P, and .357. I always leave a few moon clips laying on the rail at the range when shooting it, so that other shooters know its something different. That has struck up quite a few enjoyable conversations over the couple years that I have owned my 905.

Have fun, post a range report when you can.

Looking at your picture again... Is there a caliber designation on the right side of the barrel? Mine says "9mm Para". I dont see that on yours...
Excellent ideas! I am ready for that +P power! :D The caliber designation took me a few hours to find! I'm kidding, but it's hidden under the barrel. I didn't expect that!

Wow!
New baby boy -- Congratulations to both of you.
Remodeling
Getting ready to move to Tennessee.
A new nice looking 9MM revolver
You are living the American dream and that is terrific ;)
America is great! And thank you! :)

Congrats on the baby and the gun:)

I've had several of the 905's in my hands at gun shops but never bought one, I did have an M380 that I traded for an 82.

My main calibers are .38/.357 and 9mm, and also now .40. The idea of a revolver that can use 9mm is awesome.

I always figured I'd split the difference and get a Blackhawk 9mm convertible.

The Taurus .40 snub was also intriguing but I believe they dropped those.
Yea, the whole concept is cool. I like my 38/357 revolvers, but playing with the 9mm in the revolver is too cool. The M380 is a neat little setup.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many congratulations on your new son! You will be busy. Just waiting for that news that you have escaped to Tennessee. :D

And congratulations on the revolver. My son-in-law has been thinking about getting one. Looking forward to hearing a report from you on how it shoots.
Thank you! :) I cannot wait to escape! I will get a range report going as soon as I have a moment to get out. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I really like its appearance.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Congrats! on the birth of your son and great looking gun.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Congrats X 2! I do like the look of those grips and it looks like they will protect from any trigger guard bite. Kinda surprised to hear about the recoil being between +P and .357. 86 degrees here in Sevierville; after the winter up north it is a big change!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Neon Horse said:
The caliber designation took me a few hours to find! I'm kidding, but it's hidden under the barrel. I didn't expect that!
Interesting... I wonder what the decision was to do that... I wonder how many people will try to jam .38 Special into the cylinder, not knowing, or seeing the caliber designation...:confused:

Heres mine. Note "9mm Para" on the barrel

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ezsqueezy, the weather sounds so excellent! I can't wait to get there! I'm coming to the Knoxville area. Can't wait!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting... I wonder what the decision was to do that... I wonder how many people will try to jam .38 Special into the cylinder, not knowing, or seeing the caliber designation...:confused:

Heres mine. Note "9mm Para" on the barrel

Interesting! Yours looks great. Mine says "9mm Para" as well. I am noticing that mine has the model number (905) stamped under the serial on mine.

You make a good point about individuals trying to use the wrong cartridge in it. The caliber designation is really not apparent on mine. I do wonder why they moved it... I wonder if the new 85s and 605s are similar to mine or yours.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts