Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the new Story 8 shot .22lr cylinder for my new-to-me 1976 Ruger Single Six and was impressed.

I just dropped it in (after cleaning it with Prolix) and with no fitting at all this cylinder worked flawlessly. I see no signs of misalignment and the lockup was tight.

Here's what it looks like installed

Here's the results of first 24 shots from 30'... Still working on sighting it in and I was shooting fast just to get some lead through it

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
Jlandis - Good News that your replacement cylinder worked out. I had to return my eight shot magnum cylinder to Midway a few days ago. It lined up just fine on six chambers – but it was noticeably off on two chambers. That was pretty disappointing since I didn't order one until I researched it here on RF – and everyone else had good luck with theirs.

My Single-Six is 1984 vintage as far as I know. Midway was great about it – but, in my defense, this was the first item I ever return to midway out of probably at least 50 orders.

I can't tell from the photo – is your grip frame stainless steel – or is it aluminum and polished out?

·
Registered
434 Posts
these cylinders are great. i have a couple of them for my single sixes. They dropped right in no issues. great product.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Jlandis - Good News that your replacement cylinder worked out. I had to return my eight shot magnum cylinder to Midway a few days ago. It lined up just fine on six chambers – but it was noticeably off on two chambers. That was pretty disappointing since I didn't order one until I researched it here on RF – and everyone else had good luck with theirs.

My Single-Six is 1984 vintage as far as I know. Midway was great about it – but, in my defense, this was the first item I ever return to midway out of probably at least 50 orders.

I can't tell from the photo – is your grip frame stainless steel – or is it aluminum and polished out?
A gunsmith could have fixed your revolver with a few strokes of a file. But you cannot cry over spilled milk. I take it your pistol shoots fine now.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I believe it is stainless steel... I'll have to put a magnet on it to be sure

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Very nice......what did it set you back?

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
Old Crow - Thanks, but give me a little credit for knowledge here! I took the cylinder to the lock notch eight times. Six of those eight lined up perfectly - two lined up so far to one side (guessing at least 1/16th) that I could see it by shining a small flashlight down the barrel. I also used my field expedient range rod on those two charge holes and it was a no-go.

My guess is that the charge holes were cut correctly spaced around the cylinder - but that two of the lock notches weren't cut with/in the correct geometry. I understand that most will be skeptical of that statement - but, I'm just statin' the facts.

Anyways - Midway graciously took back the cylinder. I haven't given up on Story cylinders especially since everyone else has had such good luck with them. My want list for next year - meager as it is ;) - includes a 4-5/8's SS so I'll try a Story cylinder with it... The Story cylinder was like $122 and Midway even refunded the shipping cost - they're the best!!

I'm glad this worked out for Jlandis - plus I like the two-toned look of his SS!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
A bit pricey at $122... But I was happy to find one
Dang, that's a lot of clams for the ability to load an extra 2 rounds each time. It's a great concept, I considered it but it's too pricey for me and they don't have a stainless version. Would be nice to have a couple extra shots in both .22LR/.22WMR for my Single Six.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts