Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new "All-Weather" 10/22 at academy a number of weeks ago and have been to an indoor range with it 3 diffrent times. I started with a Brick of 500 winchester Xpert hollow points (none jacketed). Also tried CCI Mini mags, Stingers and another type of winchester (100rd Jacketed packs). Anyways I pulled the weapon apart and cleaned, re-oiled before going to squeeze off a few hundred rounds. Long story Short, it seems that only the 10rd rotary mag that came with the rifle works correctly. I purchased a seperate ruger brand rotary mag plus a Buttler Creek 25rd mag (metal feed lips). Neither of these two magazines can feed reliably. I'm talking, missfires, failure to feed and failur to eject. I even had a Stinger discharge with the bolt still open (I accept blame for that as I was trying to see what was happening). My first thought was that the weapon simply needed a good cleaning and did just that before returning the next day. No matter what of the 4 varietys of ammo I use in the factory magazine, every round feeds,fires and ejects no problem. Not so with the other two magazines...what gives?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more information.....after I eject rounds that missfired I checked most of the primers and noticed that they didn't seem to get a good solid strike on them....in other rounds I noticed that the rim was torn, shaved, ect and that the slug was dented,scraped ect...Perhaps too much spring tension? Did Ruger recently change specs with the rifle that require a new magazine specification?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I commonly accept that the 10 round ruger magazines are the most reliable ones to use. The BX25 ruger branded 25 round magazine is next in line. While highly reliable in general, it seems to have more failures than the stock 10 rounders. All other brands seem to come in after the 2 ruger models.

Even the other ruger brand rotary 10 rounder gave you problems? Try leaving them filled up with ammo for a few weeks to perhaps relax the spring.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about trying that but after deployment over seas and neglecting high priced Mags...."shudders" the idea scares me lol.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have found out the hard way that the BX-25 has to be hand loaded. When using a speed loader all I got was jams. Hand load, no jams. I guess the instructions were correct. Also when hand loading, I could feel when a problem was occuring. Looked at the nose of the bullet and it was cocked down. Unloaded the mag completely, and reloaded. Felt better going in and the spacing looked correct on the lead bullet. Will be going to range today and see if theory is correct.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure the mags are cleaned and not too stiff. and make sure the chamber is cleaned
Yeah man the chamber is cleaned each time i take it out. Considering that the factory mag is near flawless i doubt it's the issue. How can I tell if the new mags are to stiff? Based on what i've seen i'd say they are but is there a test?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I purchased a new "All-Weather" 10/22 at academy a number of weeks ago and have been to an indoor range with it 3 diffrent times. I started with a Brick of 500 winchester Xpert hollow points (none jacketed). Also tried CCI Mini mags, Stingers and another type of winchester (100rd Jacketed packs). Anyways I pulled the weapon apart and cleaned, re-oiled before going to squeeze off a few hundred rounds. Long story Short, it seems that only the 10rd rotary mag that came with the rifle works correctly. I purchased a seperate ruger brand rotary mag plus a Buttler Creek 25rd mag (metal feed lips). Neither of these two magazines can feed reliably. I'm talking, missfires, failure to feed and failur to eject. I even had a Stinger discharge with the bolt still open (I accept blame for that as I was trying to see what was happening). My first thought was that the weapon simply needed a good cleaning and did just that before returning the next day. No matter what of the 4 varietys of ammo I use in the factory magazine, every round feeds,fires and ejects no problem. Not so with the other two magazines...what gives?

Could be you got a bad 10 rd mag. If anyone shoots with you or you shoot at a range, borrow another Ruger 10 rd (or try several) and see what happens. Do not use Stingers (case is longer than any other 22). CCI mini mags or Federal Auto Match should be fine. I'm not a fan of Winchester ammo but it should have worked with few failures.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Theory worked. The hand loaded BX-25 did great. The two butler creek with steel lips both had fail to eject problems. The winner is BX-25 handload.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Help me out here,
I believe Ruger 10/22 is not chambered for the CCI Stinger. The chamber is 1/10" too short.
I have used many Ruger 10 rd. mags without fail. I just found a brand new one & it still had the $8.50 price sticker on it. The bullet fits very tight in them. Give them a tap, that should fix your problem.
I have a BX-25 mag but haven't had a chance to use it.
When loading any magazine you must tap the primer side to aline the proper angle of the bullet to feed. If you don't you will not enjoy the results.
Please don't take a close look at the chamber when firing. It's not a good safety practice.
Have a friend fire the rifle & you can take photo's from a distance.
We don't want to load the Liberal's with Ammo.
My $.02
IFFV

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Help me out here,
I believe Ruger 10/22 is not chambered for the CCI Stinger. The chamber is 1/10" too short.
I have used many Ruger 10 rd. mags without fail. I just found a brand new one & it still had the $8.50 price sticker on it. The bullet fits very tight in them. Give them a tap, that should fix your problem.
I have a BX-25 mag but haven't had a chance to use it.
When loading any magazine you must tap the primer side to aline the proper angle of the bullet to feed. If you don't you will not enjoy the results.
Please don't take a close look at the chamber when firing. It's not a good safety practice.
Have a friend fire the rifle & you can take photo's from a distance.
We don't want to load the Liberal's with Ammo.
My $.02
IFFV[/QI

I'll try to better align the rounds in the two mags as well as try relaxing the springs. Also I wasn't trying to watch the chamber while fireing...it discharged while cycling the bolt to test the ejection. (no my finger wasn't on the trigger and trust me I won't do it again)
The ruger 10/22 owners guide states that the stingers are no problem for the standard 10/22 models. Sure they are a tighter fit but they feed/fire/eject no problem in the one correctly functioning magazine.
As far as going shooting with someone else, I don't know anyone else with a 10/22. I'll "bite the bullit" and purchase another 10rd Rotary the next time I go and see if it has the same issues. If so i'll simply send the weapon back to Ruger and ask for either a fix or new one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the information.
I didn't know about the CCi Stingers.
Sounds like you have it under control.
thanks again.
IFFV

·
Registered
422 Posts
CCI Stingers are one of the few bullets that I have found to reliable feed in the BX-25's.

I just bought my wife an "All Weather" 10/22 for xmas 2days ago. I assume you have the powdered metal receiver? Check for rough castings around the ejection port and everywhere else for that matter. They will scrape off with a decent knife. Something could be catching or stuck in the spring. Disassemble and reassemble and make sure everything is exactly where it's supposed to be. Over oiling can cause things to get dirty fast. Waxy ammo could also be the culprit.

Winchester M-22 have worked great for the first 50 rounds. They are as clean as stingers with a black copper coated round nose. 1255 FPS

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It appears to be an aluminum receiver and the casting is definitely rough in spots. Still doesn't explain why only one magazine functions perfectly but ill take a closer look...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts