Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought one a couple days ago plan on taking it out this week to shoot some rounds through it. Anything special anyone can recommend doing to it? Also I want to through on a bottom rail for a grip and a ambi safety it's my first ar can anyone post links to good parts? Maybe magpul I read it's carbine length but not sure thanks guys!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Contact Brownells and get one of their 90 page AR15 catalogs. That ought to get you started. But you ought to get to know the rifle before you go down customization road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I miss out my words. I've hunted for 13 years and my dad owns and old colt ar so as far as functioning and shooting I feel ok ( I will keep the irons and I rather like them so far) the grip is just because I like the ergos with one thanks so far though guys has anyone shot steel through one? Brass costs so much and I'm a dad on a budget

·
Registered
75 Posts
The trigger that came with mine was super-heavy! Just a guess, but I'd say it was at least 9 lbs.

I put a Ruger Elite 452 in it that measures 4.5 lbs, huge improvement.

Good Luck

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
Bought one a couple days ago plan on taking it out this week to shoot some rounds through it. Anything special anyone can recommend doing to it? Also I want to through on a bottom rail for a grip and a ambi safety it's my first ar can anyone post links to good parts? Maybe magpul I read it's carbine length but not sure thanks guys!
AR556 is a mil-spec carbine, make sure you buy stuff for that kind of rifle! You can get an owners manual on line, if you don't have one. You can spend days finding parts and pieces on e-bay, amazon and hundreds of other sites.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
has anyone shot steel through one? Brass costs so much and I'm a dad on a budget
In all the years I've been shooting, I've never shot steel through any of mine. I also do all my own reloading and you can't reload steel.

"Most" of the problems I've seen with steel comes from whatever they coat the casing with and build up from it, along with the dirty powders they use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Totally re did mine in V Seven took months because nothing is ever in stock ! POF Trigger... 4.5lbs might redo to a G-SSA should have done that first ! but liked the idea of dropin

AR556 is a Carbine Gas System !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet guys thanks a Tom I thought it was carbine length and i don't reload but I hate the idea of steel casing honestly so I'll keep it to brass. Appreciate the link also I will update once I shoot the beauty! I feel the trigger is heavy too anyone know of a affordable good replacment to make it lighter. When I think about shooting I want it to shoot not have to feel like I jerk the trigger

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
Sweet guys thanks a Tom I thought it was carbine length and i don't reload but I hate the idea of steel casing honestly so I'll keep it to brass. Appreciate the link also I will update once I shoot the beauty! I feel the trigger is heavy too anyone know of a affordable good replacment to make it lighter. When I think about shooting I want it to shoot not have to feel like I jerk the trigger
I didn't measure, but I think I cleared my trigger up with about $30.00 worth of parts.

I ordered the JP Enterprises yellow reduced powersprings:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...igger-spring-kit-ar-15-3-1-2-lb-reduced-power

Then, I ordered a trigger adjustment screw with tool from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trigger-Adj...318249?hash=item33ae8585e9:g:-JcAAOSwWKtUuUcC

I then installed both items and it drastically improved my trigger. We'll worth the $30.00 investment. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but between the reduced pull and all the slack being taken out, it is a totally different trigger. I never knew what the term "break like glass" meant until that moment I snapped it the first time.

With drop-in triggers being $150.00 and more, I think this would be worth trying first.

Aqualung

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'll do that I like to know my guns and it would be a good way to learn the ar more. Has anyone put just a bottom rail on the stock handguard or is that possible?

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
I think I'll do that I like to know my guns and it would be a good way to learn the ar more. Has anyone put just a bottom rail on the stock handguard or is that possible?
Did that, too. I put a short length of Magpul rail on the bottom guard. It bolts through the vent holes.

It looks different now, but here's when it had the rail on the stock handguard:

I swapped out the furniture with FDE Magpul gear:

Aqualung

·
Registered
118 Posts

My advice would be leave it the way it is and save money for ammo, get used to the config of the AR 15 rifle first then when you learn more, build one next. Just my opinion. I put way to much into a S&W M&P 15 Sport gen 1 and wish I just kept it stock shot it and learned about the rifle, saved my money for what I really wanted, free float build with good barrel and other accessories.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I feel what you mean but I was only able to buy because of taxes. I'm just going with the vert grip (stock handguard just ordered a grip and magpul rail on Amazon) and I may do the cheap trigger job after actually shooting the gun. I would Love to build but I'm pretty broke to think of that right now. I like the barrel on this one tho 1/8 twist and chrome forged

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I feel what you mean but I was only able to buy because of taxes. I'm just going with the vert grip (stock handguard just ordered a grip and magpul rail on Amazon) and I may do the cheap trigger job after actually shooting the gun. I would Love to build but I'm pretty broke to think of that right now. I like the barrel on this one tho 1/8 twist and chrome forged
I'd hold off on the trigger job and just shoot it. You'd be surprised what the trigger will feel like after a few hundred rounds.

I generally just hand buff/polish mine to smooth out any burrs in the factory machining when I do my first initial take down cleaning off all the factory lube and re-lubing before I shoot it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts