Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my rifle in today! Brought it home and completely stripped it down to inspect and give it a through cleaning. Thanks to the forum I had some things that I wanted to make sure were right, ie #1 Pins in the front sight base. #2 All the gas rings installed. #3 checked to make sure the barrel nut was tight. It looked like they did a good job on this rifle - all checked out. I also put a little anti seize on the delta ring threads.
One thing I noticed on the tear down is the firing pin retainer cotter pin is a PITA to get back in, thought about trying to flatten it a little, all in all not that big of a deal. Take down pins are tight, but they can push out by hand.
I went out and shot it and it groups pretty good, but they were low so I had to lower the front sight post to bring them up. Trigger started to get better the more I dry fired it - basic mil-spec trigger.
I had a double feed on the second mag on the last 3 & 4 rounds, pretty sure it was the mag that caused it. Ammo was the American eagle 55 grn fmj 5.56. Pretty happy with the rifle.

ar556.JPG

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that's a good one, they looked good also. thanks

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congrats and happy shooting!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Don't forget to take the mags apart and clean them. Mags are the central item that's critical to any semi auto action.

Leave them dry when you reassemble.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't forget to take the mags apart and clean them. Mags are the central item that's critical to any semi auto action.

Leave them dry when you reassemble.
That's a good reminder, I was defiantly paying all my attention to the gun and not the mag as far as cleaning! Got the mag cleaned up and hopefully that will help resolve double feed issue in the future

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what is the going "street price" on that Ruger 556?
My rifle cost $599 ($30 off on the Ruger mid winter sale) plus 35 shipping & 20 at my lgs for the transfer to me. so $655 total. I would think you might can find them from 600 to maybe 700

·
Registered
159 Posts
I paid $599 at a local gun shop. But they are getting hard to find. Cabelas and the big name stores want $699 and that is if they can get them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased one last night off of gun broker.com for $600 (plus $25 shipping and $15 for FFL fee). I had been tracking some other auctions and they all seem to be going around the $600 mark before fees,etc.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
One thing I noticed on the tear down is the firing pin retainer cotter pin is a PITA to get back in, thought about trying to flatten it a little, all in all not that big of a deal.
View attachment 23143
I'd leave it alone. It helps keep it in place so it doesn't work out. You DON'T want that loose enough to slide out on it's own.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts