Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've built several AR's over the years, sold a few I shouldn't have, and am currently in the middle of another project (bad idea in the pandemic pricing but I already had the stripped lowers and uppers bought before covid so why not). I'm currently on the fence about the caliber of the build. I'm debating between a 223 Wylde, 224 valkyrie, and a 204 Ruger. The 204 Ruger idea currently caught my eye simply because it's the only caliber with readily available ammunition on the dealers shelves. I've had a lot of experience with the 223 Wylde, has anyone had any experience with the 224 Valkyrie cartridges or the 204 Ruger in an AR platform and what's your thoughts? Primary use would be coyote control on the ranch and target shooting. In case anyone's curious the lower and upper are both Aero Precision being paired with an ALG Defense QMS trigger, a set up I've had great luck with in previous builds

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
What range are you shooting? Within 600 yards or so the 223 is fine for targets and coyotes (I think, I've not used one that far out), and when you can find ammo it's cheap to feed and there is a large selection. Even at current inflated prices ($1/round) it's cheaper than 224 or 204.

·
Premium Member
14,219 Posts
The 224 Val caught my attention before things got crazy with supplies and ammo shortages. After getting revved up over all the 6.5 Creedmoor hoopla I would stick with the good ol' 223.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It really depends on what you depend to do with it.

Just before things got crazy I was in the same boat as you. ended up with the 6.8spc as it will mostly be used for hogs. Where I hunt them distance is not an issue so the .270short (6.8) works well

·
Registered
66 Posts
“Coyote control” and ”target shooting” tell us nothing about the OP’s use. What range are the coyotes? Called in or still hunting? What range is the target shooting? 100 yards? 300 yards? 600 yards? Throw us a bone dude!

·
"The Real Deal"
7,187 Posts
I would offer my two ideas for you to look at.

First is the 6.5 grendel. Its VERY accurate. Will out perform the 5.56 all day and out range it with a 120 grain bullet. Only differences are the bolt head, barrel. muzzle device, and magazine. I have 1 as well.

Second is the 25-45 sharps. I have 3. You tale a .223 or 5.56 case and blow out the neck and load a 25 caliber bullet or .257. I load a 90 grain and 117 grain round for mine, very accurate and killer on hogs. Only difference is the barrel swap everything else is the same.

Give those a serious look, let me know if you have questions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Grendel as mentioned would be a very good option.
I built mine with a Saturn barrel/bolt and out of the box it is 1/2 moa at 100yds with the Hornady Black 123 gr ammo. The ASC or E-Lander mags ( I forget which) work well and for me will do double duty with my Ruger American Predator.

For those so inclined the Grendel suppresses quite well with a 30 caliber can.

Mine was built on a matched Aero upper/lower/handguard set.

Here is a picture of it assembled after a day at the range. The upper/lower/handguard set came cerakoted in Coyote brown.

The lighting makes the handguard look a bit darker.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tacky, I assume you reload for the 25-45 sharps? I've read a bit about the cartridge but am not the most knowledgable on it. How hard are the components to find, I reload quite a bit myself, but am not currently sitting on any small rifle primers.
I've kicked around the 6.5 grendel a bit but as someone who owns a 6.5 creedmoor AR I don't have a particular need for another in that caliber hence the focus on either a 224, 204 or 223 wylde. Shooting distances could vary anywhere from point blank to 600 yds+, it depends on how well of a jump you get on the coyote when you run into them feeding cows or checking fence.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,187 Posts
Tacky, I assume you reload for the 25-45 sharps? I've read a bit about the cartridge but am not the most knowledgable on it. How hard are the components to find, I reload quite a bit myself, but am not currently sitting on any small rifle primers.
I've kicked around the 6.5 grendel a bit but as someone who owns a 6.5 creedmoor AR I don't have a particular need for another in that caliber hence the focus on either a 224, 204 or 223 wylde. Shooting distances could vary anywhere from point blank to 600 yds+, it depends on how well of a jump you get on the coyote when you run into them feeding cows or checking fence.
Yes i reload for it. Used to buy bulk 5.56 brass $3.50 per hundred and convert them to hold the .257 bullet. Very easy.
The components for the sharps are pretty easy to acquire. Rcbs small base dies, and .257" bullets. You can go 75 grain to 117 grain. I use h335 and h4895 in my reloads but most .223vrem powders work for it. Have extensive data for developed loads for the sharps. Hey like i said i liked it so much, i built 3 for my collection, as shooters.

Dont discount the 6.5 grendel, in my opinion its one of if not the best round available for the ar15. Hits hard, shoots flat, gained distance, no real recoil increase and very accurate, my best .557" 5 shots at 100 yards with a shilen barreled ar15. I use the alexander arms 26 round mags. Plus you can be versatile and use the bullets in the creed or the grendel.

Reactions: DQL5150

·
"The Real Deal"
7,187 Posts
Here is one of my 20" hbar 25-45 sharps i built.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tacky, if I'm reading this right you can use a 5.56 BCG with the 25 sharps correct? I'm only curious because I do have a 5.56 toolcraft BCG on hand in my parts bin. Have you ever tried H4350 on the 25-45? Just curious because I have that on hand and powder's pretty much cleaned out around here. That is a gorgeous rifle by the way, I see you shoot lefty as well judging by the safety.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,187 Posts
Tacky, if I'm reading this right you can use a 5.56 BCG with the 25 sharps correct? I'm only curious because I do have a 5.56 toolcraft BCG on hand in my parts bin. Have you ever tried H4350 on the 25-45? Just curious because I have that on hand and powder's pretty much cleaned out around here. That is a gorgeous rifle by the way, I see you shoot lefty as well judging by the safety.
I shoot ambidexterous really, for versatility however im right hand dominate. I like to be flexiable when shooting. Thanks i really like that rifle. Will add my other two below. That one has the hbar. The other has a 20" light, and 16" is an hbar as well.

Yes everything for the sharps is the same for the 5.56 except the barrel and muzzle device which is 5/8×24 threaded to allow for the bigger bullet. The toolcraft bcg will work fine, mags, all other 5.56 parts will too. Very easy swap.

I find the 16 likes the 90 grain sierra hp with 335. The 20's like the 117 interlock with 4895. I have all the data for several rounds too. I have never used the 4350 but you should be able ti work up a load from the bottom as i did with the 117 since their was no data available. Start low increase by .5 grains and test.

Here is my 16" Have to find a pic of the other 20".

·
"The Real Deal"
7,187 Posts
I ended up removing that a2 clamp on front sight, and adding a gas block and folders on the hbar 20". Needed that a2 clamp on, on another build. I can pm you some reload data too if needed.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,187 Posts
Here is the wifes light weight 20" i built in 25-45.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts