Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Handgunner since 1973.
Just bought my first AR556. Have a question, what is the below picture for? came with the Ruger and don't know what it is.
Thanks in advance!

·
"The Real Deal"
7,622 Posts
Yeah, as neon stated it allows you to adjust the front sight post up and down. Some use a 5 prong spanner, others the 4 prong as you have. The older was 5, and is still used on some of the match .40 front sight pins. The trick to using it is that you have to push down the detent pin then rotate the sight post in or out. In can be testing to your patience but the detent is designed to keep the post from moving after being set. You may or may not need to bend the prongs on the post tool to fit onto the front sight post. Just little things I have witnessed in my adjusting of ar front sights.;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since you are a handgunner you may not be familiar with zeroing the sights on an AR. There are several articles and YouTube videos that discuss setting your sights for practical accuracy. Here is a good article you may want to read:

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2012/4/10/zero-distance-for-a-home-defense-ar-15/

I'd just suggest doing some research before sighting in as the AR does not typically follow the traditional 100 yard zero like many folks do with a rifle.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,622 Posts
Since you are a handgunner you may not be familiar with zeroing the sights on an AR. There are several articles and YouTube videos that discuss setting your sights for practical accuracy. Here is a good article you may want to read:

Shooting Illustrated | Zero Distance for a Home-Defense AR-15

I'd just suggest doing some research before sighting in as the AR does not typically follow the traditional 100 yard zero like many folks do with a rifle.
That may be true "IF" you use the standard rear sight like the a2 configuration, since its linked to the elevation marks, but with standard flip ups it does not really matter. If zeroed at 100 yards, the 50 yard impact is pretty much the same, and still good enough for silhouettes at closer ranges. Also if sighted at 100 yards, at 200 the irons are still on pretty close at 200 yards allowing me to easily make hits on 12" steel, thats what mine are set at. I start at 25 yards, then move to 50, and 100 for the final setting. I have sighted 30 or 40, and all of mine are set at 100. The military setting zero best I remember is 25 meters or 27 yards with the arpeture marked 0-2 or zero to 200 meter ranges.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, I zeroed my AR556 at 25 yards with open sights. It's easier for me to see the hits at that distance and make adjustments. Once they were set I was hitting 8" and 4" steel plates at 118 yards at the back of one of our 100 rifle ranges.

I built another upper for long range and mounted a scope. I zeroed at 100 yards because the scope has a BDC reticle and I could see the hits with the scope.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That little tool came in very handy for me today. Normally I just use either a nail or bullet tip to adjust the front site, but because of the design of the front site base, the area is tighter than on a normal fsb.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,622 Posts
we don't need no stinking instructions! no directions either! we never get lost.
just sometimes you can't get there from here!
:D yup....:D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
savemejeebus

Where did you go? Have you gotten your Ruger zeroed yet??
Let us know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts