Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Jeff, welcome to the forum. In my opinion, thats not acceptable for a brand new rifle. If I were you, I'd call Ruger tomorrow and send it back.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Disregard, after doing research I discovered that this is normal.

Next time I will research before posting prematurely.
You are correct, that is perfectly normal. The upper and lower are held together by two pins, and there will be some space between... enough for light to pass through just as you are seeing with your rifle.

Once you shoulder the rifle, any movement that will affect accuracy is minimalized.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my experience with mine AR556, the accuwedge fix the wobble but I struggle to put out/in the take down pin. I have trimmed the accuwedge as much as I can.
The o-ring works too but it break after each range trip.
Then I found the foam ear plug works great for me. All I need is to cut it down to 1/4". No more wobble and I can put out/in the take down pin with ease.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Install an Accu-wedge or put electrical tape along the mating surfaces to snug it up.
I was about to suggest the same but I use blue painters tape. I put two layers on and trimmed it with an x-acto knife (actually, a scalpel but they are hard to find) and now it's crazy solid.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I agree with ditto1958. One of the reasons I bought the AR-556 was because there was no slop. I can see it on a gun that has been fired a lot but not on a new one.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I agree with ditto1958. One of the reasons I bought the AR-556 was because there was no slop. I can see it on a gun that has been fired a lot but not on a new one.
Hold your rifle up to the light... I guarantee that you will see light between the upper and the lower. These rifles are held together by two pins and they are not hand fitted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went and checked mine after this post, I did find a hint of light poking through but nothing like to OP has. I feel mine is pretty tight, going to do some shooting in a week or so with a couple friends, one has an M&P 15 NOE Magpul Spec series, the other a CMMG lower, BCM Upper, I'll be examining these closer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I went and checked mine after this post, I did find a hint of light poking through but nothing like to OP has. I feel mine is pretty tight, going to do some shooting in a week or so with a couple friends, one has an M&P 15 NOE Magpul Spec series, the other a CMMG lower, BCM Upper, I'll be examining these closer.
If you get the light, the area where the two pieces come together, and your eyes all in alignment, you will see quite a bit of light come through. And when you take a photo with bright light coming towards the camera, you will tend to get some over exposure.

I have 2 S&Ws, 1 CMMG, and one BCM... all 4 have light coming through. All 4 I can hold up in front of me and look through the gun across the room to the window and see the blinds. It is perfectly normal.

If these were as tight as you guys think they should be, you would have great difficulty ever putting different uppers with different lowers... they would all have to be paired and fitted at the factory.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mine is very tight ???
Tolerance can go that way as well... How many rounds do you have through it? My S&W was tight where I had to use a punch to remove the rear pin. It loosened up enough that I can push it out with my finger after a few hundred rounds.

You will still see light through it though.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
1. Mine is tight, with no light showing through. Other AR-556's I've handled in stores have been the same.

2. I agree with cyphertext that it doesn't actually matter as far as function is concerned.

3. Despite that, if I get a brand new gun that I pay hard earned money for, I want it to be tight, not sloppy. That's why I'd send it back.

·
Registered
440 Posts
1. Mine is tight, with no light showing through. Other AR-556's I've handled in stores have been the same.
Ditto, there is no way that there is no light passing in-between your upper and lower. You just are not looking at it right... And it isn't as big of a gap as it looks in the OPs pic. I can't even get a piece of paper through mine, but I can see light, and I can see through it. Mine also lock up tight and do not have movement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The posters that's suggest the accuwedge are correct for the wobble. It takes a bit of filing with a finger nail file to get it tight but not too tight to interfere with the pins

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to this site, but I have the same problem, I bought my 556 last year, and because of health problems just got to work on it, I put a riser and scope on it then felt it was loose, I thought one of my mounting screws was loose but then saw how poorly made the upper and lower matched up. I have two sons in law enforcement both are range officers, I ask them to look at it. They both said that Ruger sure made a poor AR.
I think the sad part is Ruger knows there is a problem, and never fixed it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The AR-15 5.56 I built from PSA kit and I supplied the Anderson lower, has a slight space at the front and rear but none in the middle area. This is holding it up to the sun. Has not been shot yet.

Thought I would put it on the bench grinder and open up some extra clearance. :))

1 - 20 of 21 Posts