Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Badger boot grips came in for my Ruger SP101. Very well made and finished!
I am still waiting for new front sight to come in - XS standard dot

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Very nice grips. And those are some great pictures as well.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
grips

Nice grips, and I noticed you highlited the front sight. What did you use ? I use either Testors paint or fishermans jig head paint; but I always like to hear what others are using.:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sweet, I like the Badgers, have a set on my GP100 in black. I currently have a set of the Talo's on my 642 but am considering Badgers for it as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! They are really nice! I haven't shot it yet, and I too am curious how it will shoot with that grip angle;) I painted the front sight blade with testors bright orange paint;)

Though, I did order an XS "Standard" size front sight. It came in today. it's seems like a nice sight, but it might be too small for my taste. I ordered the sight, because the factory sight is lacking in the self defense area.

I had read many posts online about how the standard size xs dot is better for longer range accuracy. After actually seeing the standard size in person, I decided to order the "Big Dot" - this is strictly a self defense gun, I don't need this little revolver to have extreme accuracy at longer than self defense distances. I believe the smaller sight is a trade off.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update***

As nice as these grips are, there was a small issue. the grips are actually 2 separate halfs, that mate together when installed. The back side of the grips mated together seamlessly! I mean smooth(beautiful polish job). The front side , where the finger grooves are and a little at the bottom, have a mismatch at the seam - it wasn't bad, just a mismatch. You could feel the seam with your finger. Well, since I've done work on cocobolo/rosewood 1911 grips before - I decided to fix this. I sanded the seam down untill is was flush, were you can no longer feel a seam. I started with 220 grit sandpaper(used what I had at hand) then 600 then 1000 then 2500. I would recommend starting with 400 grit. Then I polished it with red jewelers rouge and my dremel and felt wheel. Perfect!

If you try this, Remeber don't use too coarse a grit sand paper. You want to remove all sanding grooves/marks before polishing.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Update***

As nice as these grips are, there was a small issue. the grips are actually 2 separate halfs, that mate together when installed. The back side of the grips mated together seamlessly! I mean smooth(beautiful polish job). The front side , where the finger grooves are and a little at the bottom, have a mismatch at the seam - it wasn't bad, just a mismatch. You could feel the seam with your finger. Well, since I've done work on cocobolo/rosewood 1911 grips before - I decided to fix this. I sanded the seam down untill is was flush, were you can no longer feel a seam. I started with 220 grit sandpaper(used what I had at hand) then 600 then 1000 then 2500. I would recommend starting with 400 grit. Then I polished it with red jewelers rouge and my dremel and felt wheel. Perfect!

If you try this, Remeber don't use too coarse a grit sand paper. You want to remove all sanding grooves/marks before polishing.
Thank you for the update. I have a question for you regarding the grip angle. I am currently looking to add an SP101 to my collection and plan on purchasing these grips. My only concern is the grip angle. How does it shoot? Is it comfortable? Any information you can give is greatly appreciated. Once again, Beautiful gun, Great pics!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the update. I have a question for you regarding the grip angle. I am currently looking to add an SP101 to my collection and plan on purchasing these grips. My only concern is the grip angle. How does it shoot? Is it comfortable? Any information you can give is greatly appreciated. Once again, Beautiful gun, Great pics!!!
Thanks, photography is another one of my passions. :)

The grip angle is different than my factory and hogue mono grip. You have to point your wrist more forward - it's a bit weird. As nice as they are(look wise) I too question how it will actually feel when shooting.

I haven't shot it with these new grips yet. I was waiting for my new front sight to come in - it did, and I decided to go with a different one which happens to be on backorder(2-3weeks).

I will try to get out and shoot it before that, and I will post an update!.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks, photography is another one of my passions. :)

The grip angle is different than my factory and hogue mono grip. You have to point your wrist more forward - it's a bit weird. As nice as they are(look wise) I too question how it will actually feel when shooting.

I haven't shot it with these new grips yet. I was waiting for my new front sight to come in - it did, and I decided to go with a different one which happens to be on backorder(2-3weeks).

I will try to get out and shoot it before that, and I will post an update!.
Thank you for the quick response. I also just caught the photography bug and purchased my first DSLR a few months ago :D I look forward to hearing your feedback on the grips. Thanks again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update** 12/29/12

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

I finally got to the range today. I shot some 125gr reloads. These new grips and new XS big dot sight - SWEET! The grip angle is just fine - very comfortable to shoot.

I also brought some hot rounds I loaded for hunting with my GP100 6".

They are 158gr Hornady XTP HP loaded with **gr of H110 ;). Wow, pack some kick in the sp101 with these grips! A bit painful:eek:bu the grips held up just fine. I have no doubt these are easily tamed with the hogue rubber grips.:)

So I really like these Badger boot grips, 125gr .357 mag loads are my defense round of choice (Rem Golden Sabers). The angle of the badger boot grip forces you to hold the gun properly - with arm out stretched!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts