Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will a Standard Barrel fit on an Aftermarket Stock?

Hey guys,
My birthday was this past weekend and I got some gift cards and cash to use at my LGS. I've been wanting to pick up a 10/22 to do a custom build and I talked with the shop yesterday about getting one. He informed me they'll be getting several at the end of the week.

I plan to buy a standard 10/22 and decent scope to start. However, I will be replacing the barrel and stock sooner or later (most likely sooner rather than later). I haven't decided on the barrel yet (probably a Green Mountain or TacSol). For the stock, I'm definitely going with a thumbhole stock of some sort as I used one recently and really liked it.

From what I understand the .920 barrels don't fit in the standard Ruger stocks, correct? That being said, will the standard Ruger barrels fit in the aftermarket stocks that are made for .920 barrels? My guess is no since they're made for a larger barrel, but I didn't know if there was an adapter that could be put in there to hold the barrel level or if it would even be necessary.

The reason I'm asking this is because I don't know if I need to order the barrel and stock at the same time or if I can get the stock now and upgrade the barrel later. The Green Mountain barrels in anything under 20" are sold out in most places. I don't dislike the idea of a 20" barrel, but I would prefer something shorter as I tend to shoot off-hand out at the family farm for the most part.

I know some of you guys around here have built multiple 10/22s (as will I, I'm sure) so if you can give any insight as to the order or compatibility with barrels, etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Matthew

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing to consider:

Would I be able to use one of those Green Mountain barrel sheath things to tighten up the tolerances around the standard Ruger barrel? Might help hold me over until I get the barrel that I'm after.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Standard barrel in a .920 stock will work, there will just be a large gap and the barrel will likely be fully floated...

If you are talking about a GM AERO barrel shroud, it will not work on a factory barrel-only that specific AERO barrel...

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Standard barrel in a .920 stock will work, there will just be a large gap and the barrel will likely be fully floated...

If you are talking about a GM AERO barrel shroud, it will not work on a factory barrel-only that specific AERO barrel...
Thank you for your input. I know some stocks come in Standard or Bull and I know eventually I'll upgrade to a bull barrel but I can't do it all at once. This is good to know that I can replace the stock and then the barrel a couple of months apart.

Would you recommend putting anything in the aftermarket stock for barrel support or just leave it as-is and let it float?

Anything special I need to do?

·
Registered
238 Posts
There shouldn't be any challenge whatsoever with the factory barrel hovering over your stock...I have a 16.5 GM that does it no problem...the problem you have is with heavy bull barrels that pull down on your receiver where the barrel slides in and you can end up with "droop"-easily solved by an adjustable V-block, or bedding your barrel correctly...:cool:

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you again. I appreciate all of your feedback and help!

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you haven't checked already, there are some great places to find GM barrels, although they seem pretty scarce in some places as you've seen...

Rimfire Sports &Custom
Shooter's discount
Joebob Outfitters
Brownells
Gunkings
Hi-desert Dog
Cabella's
EA Brown & co.

Just to name a few...Also if you haven't already, Rimfirecentral.com is a great place for 10/22 resources too.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you haven't checked already, there are some great places to find GM barrels, although they seem pretty scarce in some places as you've seen...

Rimfire Sports &Custom
Shooter's discount
Joebob Outfitters
Brownells
Gunkings
Hi-desert Dog
Cabella's
EA Brown & co.

Just to name a few...Also if you haven't already, Rimfirecentral.com is a great place for 10/22 resources too.
I'm noticing the scarceness of the 16.5 and 18" barrels. The 20" is in stock just about everywhere, but I really want an 18 which is why I originally started this thread. I wanted to go ahead and get the stock and then add a barrel later on when they're back in stock...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Depending on what finish you are looking for, just found some TacSols, PWS, KIDD, Beyer,Volquartsen, etc. also depending on your price range...most are 16-16.5 inches in the places listed above...You can pick up a KIDD barrel in your choice of 16-18" for 175 bucks! Most likely the best barrel you will ever shoot...

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depending on what finish you are looking for, just found some TacSols, PWS, KIDD, Beyer,Volquartsen, etc. also depending on your price range...most are 16-16.5 inches in the places listed above...You can pick up a KIDD barrel in your choice of 16-18" for 175 bucks! Most likely the best barrel you will ever shoot...
I hadn't looked at the KIDD brand. I'll check them out for sure. That's definitely in my price range. I was actually in the $135-200 range so that's right in the middle. Not bad at all.

Thank you again for all of your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the archangel stock (if you dont mind plastic) is pretty nice and comes with a block for standard barrel support and can accomodate any 920 barrel i believe its a pro am product

1 - 11 of 11 Posts