Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front sight flew off my New Model Blackhawk 4 5/8 in 357 while I was firing it. The gun was purchased earlier this year and has about 250 rds through it. Ruger CS was very helpful and stood behind their product, they will be fixing for free including free shipping. My question is how does this happen. It appears to be silver solder and broke loose. Is it common. Do they have to reblue the gun to fix it. After it's reattached is it something I have to worry about. Love the gun and want to keep it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Huh! I never heard of a front sight just flying off from shooting. I suppose they will touch up the base of the sight and the mounting spot on the barrel, but a reblue job I think not. I hope this is NOT common, I have two Blackhawks! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Looks like there was a bad day at that station. In a factory things do happen. Ruger will fix it and you will never have to worry about it again. Probably will be reblued if they don't just replace the gun.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have seen two 22/45's in the last month with front sights that came loose, mine being one of them.
Kind of hard to shoot when all of a sudden your front sight is sitting sideways on the barrel.
15 seconds with Loctite and a screwdriver fixed it but it seems the front sight installation expert at Ruger may be on vacation.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Had a stainless Ruger Bisley .45 with a crooked front sight. Ruger replaced the barrel and sight. Great CS, you will be taken care of.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
The picture looks like a cold solder joint or poor fluxing prior to soldering. I don't know what the standard is for guns, but I like to see the solder right up to the edge of the piece soldered on, so that there isn't a crevice for corrosion to hide. This would be especially true, I would think, of a blued gun, since the bluing process is nothing more than controlled rusting and bluing "salts" are corrosive.

This is also the kind of quality control problem that would be very hard to pick up on inspection, since the problem is hidden.

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good things to hear. Like laidlerj said it's impossible to inspect the pistol and notice since it's covered up. Already can't wait to get it back.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Yep what he said. Ruger uses silver brazing and it was a cold joint. That's one reason it didn't flow to the edges. It will be hot blued when done if they don't give you a new barrel, and you'll never tell it from a new gun. You could win the lottery easier than have that sight fly off again. You'll have it back within 10 days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep what he said. Ruger uses silver brazing and it was a cold joint. That's one reason it didn't flow to the edges. It will be hot blued when done if they don't give you a new barrel, and you'll never tell it from a new gun. You could win the lottery easier than have that sight fly off again. You'll have it back within 10 days.
Awesome. I had a 6.5 inch blackhawk in 357 magnum and always wanted a 4 5/8. Got this one and love the feel and balance of it. I had it with me this hunting season all the time and it carries nicely on the belt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got it back from Ruger. New front sight installed and the slight blemish on the barrel is gone so maybe a barrel reblue? Looks and feels great and I'd swear the trigger is a tad smoother. Quick turn around time, picked up at my house and delivered back to my house. Ty Ruger.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nice! I sent them back an SP101 back in November. Had gun back in 9 days and gun was better than ever. They replaced the barrel and sent a target showing all shots touch at 7 yards. I am trying to duplicate their target.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts