Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up my new 357 today and really like it. Does have a few imperfections in the stainless finish but nothing too bad. My question is will the loading gate become easier to open with time or is thier something I can do to help with that. My SBH and single six have been very easy to open since they were new. Also does any one have any recommendations for a leather shoulder holster? The Mernickle shoulder holster looks nice but that is all I have been able to find. Thanks

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,077 Posts
Chasin Tail, Being a "hip holster" guy, I can't help you with a shoulder holster but I can give you some guidance for your loading gate, which is a very common issue with all New Model Ruger SAs..

Ruger uses an odd shaped flat spring for the loading gate where the tip of the spring rides on the loading gate's pivot pin. As you open the loading gate, the tip will find a flat spot on the pivot pin and detent to the gate to the open position. When you go to close the gate, again the tip of the spring will bind on the "flat spot" until it is almost closed, then will detent to the closed position. The problem is .... when the tip of the spring is ground to shape at the factory, it often leaves machine marks in the tip which creates a lot of friction between the spring and the pivot pin.

Try this: remove your cylinder then look at the inside bottom of the loading gate to find the loading gate spring tip and flat spot. Force some heavy grease in this area then operate the loading gate multiple times to get the grease under the loading gate spring tip. This should free it up where it works smoothly. If the spring tip is really rough, you may have to totally disassemble the gun and buff the loading gate spring tip until it is nice and smooth. Generally, the grease trick works well and after some use, it will eventually smooth out work with little effort.

·
Registered
549 Posts
CONGRATS on your new purchase...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, I will give grease a try. The Diamond D holster is nice but at 160 bucks It's more than I want to spend, even the ammo carriers are 30 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts