Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after lots of indecision I finally dove in and got a NM Blackhawk convertible in 45/45colt, and I couldn't be happier. It took a few trips to the range to get accustomed to the different grip compared to my semi autos. So I put on a Hogue mono grip and it made a big difference, a real pleasure to shoot.
I have been having issues with my cast 45acp loads seating in the cylinder. I have to push them down to get a good seat in the cylinder, but they are shooting nice tight groups. Factory loads drop right in, Im thinking the factory ammo must be just a bit smaller .451? The colt rounds load and shoot great.
I've read older posts on the cylinder throats being undersized. Is this an issue that Ruger is still having after many years.
Thanks to all the posters out there helped me to make a great decision. I love this gun!

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! Glad you are happy with your new revolver.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Yep. Welcome. Enjoy....

Is this an issue that Ruger is still having after many years.
I think so. My newer revolvers were a lot better and I may have got by with them, but I reamed to .4525 anyway for consistency (both the .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinders). Even at that my .45 ACP cast bullets would need some seating pressure after a couple of cylinder fulls were shot. Seems to build up crud right where the case mouth seats.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,670 Posts
The last Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt that I reamed was a Christmas present for a friend, purchased new in Dec 2015. So the answer is ... yes, it is an ongoing problem and has been since the first 45 cal OM Blackhawks rolled off the assembly lines in 1971.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have had my Blackhawk in 45LC/45ACP since 1980. The gun has survived a second shot with a squib load in the barrel. After that I needed a new barrel dollars ejector. The barrel is 9.5 inches long and I almost exclusively shoot 260 gr with a charge of 27 gr of W296/H110. I have fired mavbe 2 to 3 thousand rounds through it and it is still tight and accurate. While I was having the barrel changed, I had the Blackhawk hard chromed.
The Blackhawk came in handy when I moved to Ohio as they only allow either a shotgun or pistol to hunt deer. I have put food on the table.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could be the bullet design that your using? For example a long time ago I bought some 230gr precision .451 swaged/coated bullets and after loading 600rds of it none of it would fit into my match 1911 chamber. The diameter of the bullet was not the issue, the issue was the ogive of the bullet being fatter and not tapering down like the majority of the 230gr bullets did. Solution was to seat the bullets into the cases a little further, it didn't match any of my other OAL loads but the rounds fed and chambered properly. Or you could open up the chamber throats and be done with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt that I reamed was a Christmas present for a friend, purchased new in Dec 2015. So the answer is ... yes, it is an ongoing problem and has been since the first 45 cal OM Blackhawks rolled off the assembly lines in 1971.
Thanks Iowegan, I'm going with having the throats reamed. I checked with my local gun smith and he will do both cylinders for $100. sounds like a reasonable price, since getting a tool from Brownells would cost me close to that, if I were to do it myself.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I sort of collect the 45ACP/45Colt convertibles. Actually only have 5 or 6 now. Some do and some don't. You have to look at the specific revolver in question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts