Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I saw a comment on YouTube that an individual has discovered that the cerakote finish is coming off the cylinder near where it comes close to the forcing cone. I guess there are rings of exposed metal. He feels the heat/flash is ruining the finish. How is your finish holding up?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I saw a comment on YouTube that an individual has discovered that the cerakote finish is coming off the cylinder near where it comes close to the forcing cone. I guess there are rings of exposed metal. He feels the heat/flash is ruining the finish. How is your finish holding up?

I’ve only got about 80 rds through it so I’ll have to see if there’s a problem with it. Being as it’s a $200 revolver, unless the cerakote starts chipping off; I’m not going to be too concerned about the finish. I know the color attracted me but it’s going to be a snake defense revolver while I cut my yard. I’m sure I’ll ding & scratch it up over the next few years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Nice shooting. Keep in mind that this is a minute-of- beercan plinker. Can’t wait to get one.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,843 Posts
I believe it was stated that the cylinders on the Wrangler are not finished in Cerakote. Only the main frame, grip frame and barrels. Someone said the cylinders were blued steel but they may have some other finish applied as bluing typically holds up to the blast of heat and gasses that occur at the B/C gap.

If the cylinders are Cerakoted then you can expect some ablation at the B/C gap. That is a known phenomenon on any Cerakoted revolver. Here's an example. This GP100 was originally all black.

After a couple hundred rounds the Cerakote was getting blasted by the flame and gasses at the B/C gap and it looked like this.

So I decided to polish out those spots and go with this look.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I believe it was stated that the cylinders on the Wrangler are not finished in Cerakote. Only the main frame, grip frame and barrels. Someone said the cylinders were blued steel but they may have some other finish applied as bluing typically holds up to the blast of heat and gasses that occur at the B/C gap.

If the cylinders are Cerakoted then you can expect some ablation at the B/C gap. That is a known phenomenon on any Cerakoted revolver. Here's an example. This GP100 was originally all black.

After a couple hundred rounds the Cerakote was getting blasted by the flame and gasses at the B/C gap and it looked like this.

So I decided to polish out those spots and go with this look.

Nice solution, looks pretty sharp!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Those shots are right on for both windage and elevation....I can't ask for any more than that , the rest is on my shooting abilities .
The Wrangler Can Shoot... Looks like I'm going to be forced to get one...Drat !

Thanks Eshooter...
Gary

·
Registered
42 Posts
First 6 rds from 7yds, one handed. Where my finger is at is my first shot, the one closer to 6 o’clock on the right. Got anxious on the 5th shot & had the flier to the right. As you can see I’m not a sharp shooter but not bad for me shooting one handed. Seems to shoot better one handed but after about 50rds I was able to hit a few bullseye from 7yds shooting 2 handed.The sight is tiny & hard to see, but; no worse than my Heritage rough rider. Like Feral Cat Killer mentioned earlier, I have the aging eyes issue as well. Didn’t think about the contrast difference when I bought it, does the silver one have a same colored blade as the barrel? Have to admit the bronze color was half the draw to me. The guy at my lgs said he had 2 bronze ones left after mine was sold & he hadn’t hardly moved the silver or black ones. May try to paint the back of the blade, just don’t know what color would work best; thinking bright green maybe. I did not do well at all at 25yds, I hit the target but nothing worth mentioning. I do need glasses & a lot of practice. Over all I like the little revolver! A bit stiff to cock the hammer but fairly nice trigger pull. The loading gate is a bit stiff but I’m sure will loosen up after awhile. This will definitely be replacing my Heritage as a snake gun, the rough rider has a 5.5” barrel; mistake on my part for buying the long barrel but I wanted the case harden look & it was only available in that length. That Heritage is now going to be a dedicated .22wmr pistol as I have the conversion cylinder. Now I’ll have to get a holster for it. It fits my rough rider holster but tightly & that holster is too long.

Having shot MANY 22 revolvers over the decades I believe you will find as the barrel and trigger breaks in and the barrel "seasons" some you are going to be really happy with your Wrangler.

I too have the '"old eye's" so I only use white or green background targets. It makes finding the black on black sights a lot easier.

I can't wait too purchase mine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That front blade is 90 degrees to the barrel at the rear. So, whatever "color" it can easily be polished with a file and painted with any color. When I was a young cop and could not afford replacement sights, we used bright red nail polish. Now, any craft store can provide lots of colors including fluorescent orange, green, or whatever.

Gunblast did a video on these and say with Wolf target ammo he got 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards and 1.5 inch groups with cheap ammo, either one is great.

The 4 and 5/8 barrel does not get much velocity increase when you go to 22 mag, but I would sure think there would be market for one with the extra mag. I also think that they could sell these chambered for a 5 shot 38 special. The 22 and 22 mag have a max pressure rating of 24,000, the 38 Special Plus P is only 18, 500. I would sure buy one.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
In a Wrangler review ( Gunblast.com ) the fellow said he was amazed at the accuracy considering the price point .... with the Wrangler mounted in a Ransom Machine Rest ,
he wasn't expecting the 25 yard accuracy (25 yards , not feet) the worst group was with Remington Thunderbolt ammo it printed 1 1/8 inch group ....
Now the best group was with Wolf Match Ammo... it printed 1/2 inch groups !
That's something. At the end of the review he has a lot of very up close and personal views of the guns...he has two...you can see all the of the finishes etc. very well .
Check out the Gunblast review... very interesting .
I think the Wrangler is well worth the asking price and I'm going to snag one before the price goes up...things that sell usually get outta my price range quickly .
Gary

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm convinced. I want one. Checked all the lgs and the big chain store today by phone and 'net - no one stocking them, yet... Boo...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts