Ruger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ive had good luck with Bucks per se- Ive owned a few and have had to replace them due to loss or destruction- no fault of the knives themselves. They do take a good edge! Kudos to Buck being able to make and market their products in the USA - for the most part, anyway.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Weather a fixed blade sheath knife or hunting pocket, I love Buck as it is a favorite! I am a Boker fan also.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
How good is 420hc stainless steel?
420HC steel is a budget and versatile stainless steel used in many popular knives. The 420 steel with "HC" or high carbon makes it a bit harder. However, it is still considered a softer steel in comparison to most other steels available. In terms of quality, 420HC is rated as a lower mid-range steel.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I still have the Buck 118 Personal I was given at age seven in the mid 1970s. After all those early years of utility carry, it is now professionally honed and used only for gutting/skinning. (Photo is representative of 1970s 118).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Always wanted a Nighthawk, just never pulled the trigger. Buck makes good stuff. Congrats on yours.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Noss, the Golem in the hockey mask that tests and tortures knives to destruction had a long time with some Buck 420HC. Lasted longer than some big name, pricey customs.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
PriseDeFer, I have serious doubt that 420HC will hold it sharpness as long as a properly heat treated S30V or 35V. On the S30V I have customers feedback on 2 deer & 2 elk field dressed and skinned out and blade still sharp enough to shave hair. Another with 5 deer and blade still sharp. Another with two deer, one bear, and one fox and the customer used the knife also to debone and cut up the meat on the 2 deer and bear and felt it needed a slight touchup.
I am not trying to belittle Buck, as I feel that for a factory knife they are one of the very best. My first hunting knife 45 years ago was a Buck 110 and I still have it. In fact I feel the steel they used 45 years ago is better then some of the steel they use today.
Buck also has one of the better heat treat programs going and that helps on blade hardness and it's ability to hold a sharp edge.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very nice knife. What is the scale material? Micarta? Recurves can be a bit more challenging to sharpen.
I do not like recurves period. They round the corners of my stones and generally are a PITA to sharpen properly. If I had one of those the first thing I would do is lose the recurve.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was too late to the party to find a Mesa but I did pick up a 104 Compadre camp knife. I really like it. The 5160 steel really takes a great edge. It is the perfect size and shape for general purpose knife work.

I'm a big fan of Buck. My EDC is a Buck Vantage Force. Great blade shape, easy one handed opening, slim profile, great pocket clip, comfortable in the hand during heavy use, easy to clean for a folder, the BOS heat treated 420 steel takes and holds a very good edge. I don't like the recurve as I prefer to sharpen on traditional stones.

Back in December I was tempted by the 104 Frontier - a Silver Knights Blades version of the 104. Same shape as the 104 Compadre, but flat ground with D2 steel. I've been testing it regularly since and it has become my favorite field knife. The D2 takes and holds a scary sharp edge and the Burlap Micarta handle is comfortable and grippy. I like it so much I bought a backup.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts