Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Federal recently announced a new carry specific caliber. According to their hype it’ll have less recoil than a 9mm but similar ballistics, much better than a .380, but have the ability to carry 2 more rounds than a 9mm or .380 with a 10 round capacity. Interesting, if it lives up to the hype I could see it sticking.
Font Screenshot Multimedia Darkness Software

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
I saw the introduction. I see what they are trying to do, but it’s not for me. The narrower cartridge will be big for those micro compact high capacity firearms.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Looks like a 32 acp Magnum . I predict the same thing that happened to the 41 Magnum , a small loyal following but the majority will cling to , shoot and buy 9mm or 45 acp !

A 32 acp magnum for an auto loader isn't a bad idea . I had an AMT 1911 style pistol in 30 Carbine which was a bit much ... loud and not extremely powerful ... stepping a 30 cal up between 32 acp and 30 Carbine is a good idea but going to be a hard sell to the multitudes of uneducated gun owners .
The 41 magnum is a great round and totally ignored by the masses .
Gary

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'd be interested in test shooting one. Definitely can see my daughter's interested in it. They both have 9mm's in smaller guns and while pretty proficient, the 9mm can be a handful for them sometimes in these smaller guns.
I just bought a DB9 and when (and someone will) builds a pocket size 30 Super Carry similar in size to an LCP or DB9 I'd definitely be interested.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
32acp is not .32". More like .311-.312. It is not a bad idea but I doubt it will get far. Like the 32 magnum revolver cartridges. Loyal following but not a crowd. I could see it in a Hellcat sized gun. Less recoil and more rounds since it is a straight wall cartridge. 9mm is my main cartridge for handguns and PCC's. I do keep a mouse gun for a bug or when I cant carry anything bigger. I have a P32 and would like to see Ruger bring out the LCP2 in 32acp. I sold all my 380 because of poor performance in mouse guns. They either expand and dont penetrate or dont expand and over penetrate. In the 32acp I just carry fmj.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've zero interest in such a cartridge/gun combination. European .32acp does just fine as a small pistol round, and many pistols carry more than eight rounds. The 9mm and .38 Super are plenty powerful in most loadings, if the user does his job. Which includes the .32acp. Accurate hits count and usually does the job. Even if only a .22LR, which has killed plenty of people. These last fifteen or so years people keep making "new, new, new" stuff just because they can. And then argue about a couple foot pounds of energy. There is absolutely nothing new that does any better than the older cartridges, except maybe a shorter length in rifle cartridges, which are designed to work in the AR15/AR10 platform. Big deal.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s pretty obvious they’re riding the momentum of the high capacity micro pistol. It might also gain acceptance in those countries that ban service calibers for civilian use. Once the newness of 30 Super carry wears off they can go back to the woodshed and cook up something else like a .25 Super Duper and cram another couple rounds in.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
No interest in this caliber. I will stick with my 9mm. Good luck finding the ammo after you buy the firearm, if you can find one. Finding 9mm ammo is hard enough.
Bummer, I can find 9mm very easily. 380 is a little harder to source.

Try finding 327 mag. I always stick to ancient calibers. 9mm, 38Sp, 45 acp....etc.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm not jumping on the bandwagon nor am I going to instantly rush to judgment and poo poo the new cartridge.

It's new and could be the latest and greatest innovation in ballistics. It could be a total flop. But it's good to see something new from ammo manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts