Votes: 16 16.7%
  • other

Votes: 55 57.3%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a great day at the range yesterday. Went out with a guy whose parents run a tactical training center and learned a lot! I've decided to trade in my USP compact for striker fired pistol. I'm thinking either a Glock 19 or M&P 9. I would also consider the SR9 but having never shot one I need to know how it compares to the other two. I really liked the M&P but didn't like the lack of trigger reset. The Glock is also much cheaper and was very good all around. I know this is a Ruger forum but I trust I can get some unbiased options.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Didn't vote since I don't carry yet, but I love my SR9c. I was looking at the Glock 19, but didn't want to spend the extra $100. And - I like the safety on the SR9c.

Reading the multiple forums like I do, either would be a great choice, as many people carry the different guns you listed.

I shot the Glock 19 and the SR9c within a day of each other, and I liked the SR9c - cheaper or not. First round out of the Glock, the spent shell hit me in the face. But one day, I will have the G19 as well. It's a great weapon.

Happy hunting- you will be happy no matter what.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,360 Posts
Of the ones listed, I would pick the Glock. I prefer 1911s in .45 ACP or .357 magnum revolvers for my carry. If I could own only one gun, it would be my Glock G20SF 10mm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like my SR9 and my M&P Shield in .40 S&W but I just don't like the long DA only trigger pull.

I picked up a CZ Rami DA/SA Subcompact .40 S&W and just added a Colt New Agent .45 ACP SA Only. So now I think I am gonna be happy.

Note, pic borrowed off the net as mine is in the shop getting some tweaking.

Karsten

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I carry either a 357 snubby or a 3" 1911 45acp.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I am the biggest Ruger fan on earth. But I want nothing to do with the SR9 or the glock. Any gun that has injured so many people they have a term for it "Glock Leg" and I sure a similar term will be applied to the SR9. The so called safety being on the trigger just doesn't fly with me. Anytime you meet resistance when drawing a gun the natural reaction is to clench. Where does the trigger finger go when you clench? On the trigger! God forbid if someone grabs your hand when trying to draw.

I am all to happy to stick with my dinosaur P95.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I carry a Glock 17 and a Glock 26 at LEAST 4 days a week, 11 hours a day. Never had a problem "cleanching" the trigger because I keep my finger off the trigger until I'm on target. Don't see what the problem is there. And you should also protect your gun side so no one grabs your hand or your weapon, or you have more problems on your hands.

That being said, my preferred carry is my Colt Defender.

I did like the M&P when I looked at them, but got the G26 to accompany my G17. G26 is easy to carry, and trigger isn't horrible.

If you shot them both, figure out which one you shot better or liked shooting better and go with that. The price difference isn't that great, and if you settle, you will only end up getting the one you really wanted later.

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
XDs here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I carry a SR9c and luv it, really nice trigger, accurate, dependable. If you are gonna carry I hope you consider the SR9c. For a home/range gun I say either the SR9 or the M&P.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Not a Fan of most Ruger Pistols,Revolver Rugers love em,anyway Glock 19,S7W Shield 9mm,Kel-Tec P-11 Fluffed Buffed Polished and Northwood trigger,this one all under $300 invested,The smallest and easiest of carry of all three with a 10 round capacity.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,360 Posts
I am the biggest Ruger fan on earth. But I want nothing to do with the SR9 or the glock. Any gun that has injured so many people they have a term for it "Glock Leg" and I sure a similar term will be applied to the SR9. The so called safety being on the trigger just doesn't fly with me. Anytime you meet resistance when drawing a gun the natural reaction is to clench. Where does the trigger finger go when you clench? On the trigger! God forbid if someone grabs your hand when trying to draw.

I am all to happy to stick with my dinosaur P95.

I have been carrying Glocks with one in the chamber for over twenty years now with many thousands of rounds shot and I still don't have Glock Leg. I have also carried a 1911 cocked and locked for forty-nine years. I pocket carry a Sig P238 HDW cocked and locked. If you follow the rules, they are very safe. Any gun is only as safe as the operator.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I carry a Glock 26 so I voted for the Glock 19. All your options are great. Go to a range and rent your choices. The best one to carry is the one that fits you best.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not a Fan of most Ruger Pistols,Revolver Rugers love em,anyway Glock 19,S7W Shield 9mm,Kel-Tec P-11 Fluffed Buffed Polished and Northwood trigger,this one all under $300 invested,The smallest and easiest of carry of all three with a 10 round capacity.
Let's hear a little more about your P-11. I have had one for years but after the trigger broke (Ket Tec new what happened and told me to send it back) I don't trust it and have never shot it again.

Let's hear about the Fluffed, Buffed and Polish as well as the Northwood Trigger

Karsten

·
Registered
428 Posts
the best carry gun i have is an M&P 9mm shield.that said,i like my 3 in sp101 357 when i can dress around it better.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The best carry gun I have is the one I am carrying at the time.
What gun I carry depends on where I am going, what clothing I am wearing and what I will be doing when I get there.
Having a favorite gun is like having a favorite dog. I love them all but they are all different.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I disagree. My dog does it all.

The others are back-ups so that they can pass the break-in period for when my EDD (every day dog) passes

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I already have a fullsize 1911 that I carry sometimes. I am a bigger guy so concealing a gun is not a problem. I would like to avoid a gun with a manual safety if at all possible. I mistyped earlier, I actually shot a G17 yesterday. Today I handled a G19 and liked the feel better. I have small hands so I need a gen 4. I shot good groups with both the M&P and Glock. I guess I should have been more specific but I am definitly looking for a semi and not a revolver. This would also be used for more training like what we did today so revolvers are out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Honestly, the smith or the glock will serve you well. i know my glocks are flawless and have never failed unless I intentionally made them fail. It's going to be just preference. Whichever you feel the most comfortable with and shoot the best. You will get a million different answers from a million different people (with a couple duplicates), but really, unless you're happy, you'll just buy this gun to fill the need for a "new gun" and then just have to buy the one you really want later on anyways.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Kahr CM40. Small and great round for self defense.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts