Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where might a person get a .38 Special cylinder for a SP101? I would like to get a cylinder cut for the shorter .38 Special chamber.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
1) No reason to get a 38spcl chamber cut for a 357mag revolver. Just shoot 38's out of it.

2) It is cost prohibitive to have custom cylinders made for SP101's, and as of right now, I don't believe anybody is willing to make one anyway. I've spoken with Reeder, Gemini, Bowen, Clements, and C&S about this within the last 6-8mos, none of them are cutting SP101 cylinders.

3) Take-off cylinders from gun buy-back destroyed firearms are relatively easy to find.

4) To make life simple, buy the entire cylinder & crane assembly. Then you can change cylinders by pulling the grips and dropping the trigger guard. Otherwise it's a huge pain in the butt and you'll never actually do the change.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ok I have a question I have a Ruger SP101 fairly new that's a .38 Special would a .357 cylinder say out of the OP's Ruger SP101 fit my gun? That is if the OP might be interested??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Op, part of the beauty/versatility of the magnum chambering is it's ability to chamber and fire the special cartridge as well. There is no need for a different cylinder. If all you are ever planning is shooting the special cartridge then you have that option, no extra equipment required. I can't remember where I heard this (might've been here), but the sp101 has been referred to as a 38 special with the ability to fire 357 magnum.
Fwiw: I would just buy a bunch of 38 specials and enjoy it as is

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Getting a .38 Spl cylinder for a SP101 seems like a long run for a short slide. The cylinder will still have to be "magnum length", so the only potential advantage would be a slightly tighter cylinder throat for the eight of an inch difference between the .38 Spl and the the .357 Mag case.

Also, removing the cylinder in an SP101 isn't a trivial matter, so I'm not sure how often you'd want to do it.

If your goal was to shoot .38 Super in moon clips, it would be reasonable - if somewhat expensive - to convert your SP101, but you can shoot .38 Spl out of it unmodified and with minimal (and probably not detectable) loss of accuracy. Still, if that's what you want to do, it's your money and I'm sure you can find a gunsmith somewhere who will do it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I agree with Varminterror. If you get a takeoff cylinder for a .38 just be certain you did not get one off an early SP101 as they had a shorter cylinder. As noted above trade some cylinder dimensions notably length. Seems like a lot of work for little to no gain to me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. It seems like it would be expensive, difficult, and would offer no advantage. It seems best to leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
DG no problem I was just trying to answer your plea to wanting a .38 Special Cylinder and as Varminterror stated just some simple measurements are needed to confirm it a trade would work. Which is I am betting if your SP101 according to both your's and mine's serial # would confirm if a swap would work. It probably is just a matter of removing the cylinder from both guns and a trade and bingo. You have a .38 Special cylinder & I have the .357. The advantage yes I would have as being able to shoot both .38 & .357. No biggie I have found enough very good .38 Special +p loads that my revolver doesn't lack anything just as it is. I wanted to make some input sooner but I felt just to see how things would play out! Good Luck to you, I can tell you I am surprised just how accurate my 3 inch SP101 in .38 Special is really surprised me just how well it shoots!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked the original question because I am concerned the extra 1/8" gap create a leading issue when shooting lead .38 Special. Is that a concern if I am not switching back and forward between .357 Mag and .38 Special?

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
I asked the original question because I am concerned the extra 1/8" gap create a leading issue when shooting lead .38 Special. Is that a concern if I am not switching back and forward between .357 Mag and .38 Special?
This has been reported as a problem when shooting .45 Colt out of a .454 Cassull, but not with the .38 Spl/.357 Mag combination. Every so often, if I've been shooting a lot of lead .38 Spl out of my .357 Vaquero, I feel a bit of hesitation when I insert a .357 Mag cartridge. Apart from that, no problem.

Jim

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
DawnGazer you do not have to worry about shooting .38Specials out of any revolver chambered for .357. There has been issues in times past by shooting the 110 grain .357's because of flame cutting the top strap of many revolvers especially the lighter framed guns. But then that doesn't seem to be a problem shooting the 125 grain and heavier bullets. Hope this helps good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you do not reload do yourself a favor and start. Load 38 sp. in 357 brass and you will have no issues at all and much cheaper practice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do reload .357 Mag for my Ruger 77/357. I use 125 gr. Hornady XTP over 19 gr. IMR-4227 and 158 gr. Speer lswc over 6 gr. Unique. Both of those at a bit much for the SP101. I have shot .357 mag out of the SP101, but I prefer the .38 Special for recoil reasons, sighting reasons, and to make sure that I do not inadvertantly load up a rifle round. I am glad to hear that it will not creat a leading issue in the cylinder.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
DG I have had SP101 in .357 & I agree I much prefer shooting .38 Specials. One suggestion on shooting .357 reloads thru a revolver tone down your current .357 rifle loads & just try say a medium powder chg with pistol loads. I know my reloading manual has a section for .357 rifle loads vs .357 pistol loads!!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
As long as you stick to .38 rounds in the cylinder leading should not be a problem in the chamber. The problem seems to occur only when after shooting a numbef of .38 lead loads one switches to .357 without cleaning the chambers.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Clean your gun and you'll be fine. It is NOT a concern unless you're shooting hundreds of rounds of 38spcl, not cleaning, then packing 357's on top.

In general, I've found that if I ever get leading or powder build up in the chamber, the revolver "warns" me - .357mags become a little difficult to chamber. If they don't chamber freely, then you're irresponsible if you're willing to ram a 357 load into an obstruction.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts