Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
To the Right of Reagan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name is Kevin and I live in southern Minnesota and I just joined Ruger Forum today. I have a printing company and I'm married to a great gal. We have two labs named Bell and Sophie.

I bought my Ruger Vaquero LC 7.5 inch nickel finish revolver in 2000 -- brand new. The last time I looked, it's worth about the same price as when I bought it. Good to know it's holding its value! I've replaced the original walnut grips with Ruger white ivory grips and they really make the look.

I attended a carry class yesterday for the first time. At the tail end of the class, we took turns in the shooting range. That was the first time I had ever done that. I had to fire three sets of 12 at three different positions of the target. The target was a piece of typing paper. I kept them all in a group that was about half the size of the sheet! That was pretty cool.

One fella that was at the range asked me what I hunt with my Ruger. He was serious. I guess it must be a hunting revolver. I picked it out of the catalog years ago because it caught my eye and I couldn't ignore it. I must have looked through that catalog a dozen times and I just had to have this one. It fits my hand perfectly.

I have to apply for my permit to carry now, and then wait to hear from my Sheriff. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

I've been looking for a conceal carry shoulder holster. I'm not really focusing on a cross-draw style, just one that will keep my firearm at my side when I travel.

--Kevin

·
Registered
17,112 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle. It's hard to beat Rugers and Labs.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Welcome from another Minnesotan Kevin. The good thing about Minnesota's permit to carry law is that we don't have to conceal our carry pistol.

·
To the Right of Reagan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The good thing about Minnesota's permit to carry law is that we don't have to conceal our carry pistol.
Would you believe that I didn't know that until yesterday? Neither did most in our entire carry class of about 26 people. Our instructor said he wasn't surprised, because most everyone he meets is under the impression that you'll be breaking the law if you're seen open carrying in Minnesota.

Thanks for the welcome!

--Kevin

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hi Kevin. Welcome to RF from Maine.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Would you believe that I didn't know that until yesterday? Neither did most in our entire carry class of about 26 people. Our instructor said he wasn't surprised, because most everyone he meets is under the impression that you'll be breaking the law if you're seen open carrying in Minnesota.

Thanks for the welcome!

--Kevin
Yep, Minnesota calls it a PTC (permit to carry) and not a CCW permit (conceal carry weapon) like many other states.

·
To the Right of Reagan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We were informed by our instructor at our PTC class yesterday that if we are turned down by our Sheriff to receive a carry permit, he must have a very good reason. Should we be turned down, a particular lawyer will take up the case for $800 up front and head to court. If he wins, he gives you the $800 back, then bills the state for about $1,600 to $2,000 in attorney fees. The instructor says that Minnesota has a law that says the state must pay the court costs and attorney fees for a poorly-made decision. I don't know all the ins and outs of this law, and hopefully I won't need to know.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Welcome from Texas!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.