Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Welcome to the club. I searched for better part of a year for the 5½ barrel .45, no luck. Then I found one one night, and thought about it one last time. By the time I woke up next morning ... gone :mad: I vowed never to let that happen again. A few months later Sportsman's Warehouse had one, I [email protected] near broke my shoulder getting the credit card out. Not sure why, but the 5½" is sometimes hard to scrounge. You might be surprised that it likes AA5744 almost as much as my .45/70 does. Launching large lead is a kick (pun intended).

-jb, congratulations, it's sooo much fun

· Registered
567 Posts
Well now, I also have a Blackhawk .45 Colt and I've had it for at least 15 years. But it's an early three-screw model with the 7-1/2" barrel. It's a lot of fun to shoot.
However, I also have 3 OM Blackhawks in .41 mag. The 1st and oldest has the 6-1/2" barrel, the other two have the shorter barrel (4-5/8"?). IMO, reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot any of them, but I've felt that way since 1972 (?) when I purchased the first .41. I also cast my own bullets for both cartridges.
I'm not interested in a starting a protracted cartridge/caliber discussion, so I would say this about the two. Each has a specific niche that it fills handsomely IMO. I enjoy shooting both, but for portability and "woods walking", I'll take my short barreled .41's every time. I do have a "short" barreled .45 LC, but the .41 mag. has been doing all I require for a long, long time - KWIM?
Enjoy your new revolver, it appears to be a good one and is certainly easy on the eyes. If you don't already reload, learn how. It adds a whole other dimension to the shooting/hunting experience, as does casting your own bullets (But that's a subject for whole separate discussion!).

WYT-P
Skyhunter

· Registered
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well now, I also have a Blackhawk .45 Colt and I've had it for at least 15 yeathe shooting sportrs. But it's an early three-screw model with the 7-1/2" barrel. It's a lot of fun to shoot.
However, I also have 3 OM Blackhawks in .41 mag. The 1st and oldest has the 6-1/2" barrel, the other two have the shorter barrel (4-5/8"?). IMO, reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot any of them, but I've felt that way since 1972 when I purchased the first one. I also cast my own bullets for both cartridges.
I'm not interested in a starting a protracted cartridge/caliber discussion, so i would say this about the two. Each has a specific niche that it fills handsomely IMO. I enjoy shooting both, but for portability and "woods walking", I'll take my short barreled .41's every time. I do have a "short" barreled .45 LC, but the .41 mag. has been doing all I require for a long, long time - KWIM?
Enjoy your new revolver, it appears to be a good one and is certainly easy on the eyes. If you don't already reload, learn how. It adds a whole other dimension to the shooting/hunting experience.

WYT-P
Skyhunter
I do reload, that's why I initially was seeking a 41 mag. Looking forward to diving head first into the 45 colt reloading journey.

· Registered
5,284 Posts
I am a simple man…My momma always told me….Buy guns in the original caliber they were designed for.

1911 - 45acp
SAA - 45Colt
AR - 5.56
Glock - well they all suck right
J-frame - 38special, they barely handle that
AK - 7.62x39

All the other calibers, bigger or smaller, are red headed step children that at best, are picky eaters and at worst, trouble makers.

Life is like a box of chocolates.

· Registered
6,216 Posts
A .45 Colt in a 5.5” barrel is as useful as a pocket on a shirt. Enjoy !
Couldn't have said it better... Since 1873 :) .

Nice! You'll enjoy it. I use my large frame for all my .45 Colt testing and my medium frame .45s for everything else. Stoke the BH with anything you want to shoot!

· Registered
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Sweet acquisition, stock photo looks good and as the others have said you now get to do some mods to make it more of your own.

Just hearing of the scarceness or uniqueness of the .41, I would think the .45 Colt should be the wiser option anyway as far as available options for upgrades. Have fun w it michael63.
You know I will. Once I get some loads done, some range therapy will be on the agenda.

· "The Real Deal"
10,674 Posts
Well I have both 41 Mag and 45 Colt. Now before you put the credit card away you need a Lever action to backup those Blackhawks and reloading is extremely rewarding.
He already reloads, but a few rifles could accent him a bit. 😉

21 - 40 of 100 Posts