Ruger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
I love my 45 colts. Currently have 3 revolvers, a brass birdshead 3 1/2 inch vaquero and 2 7 1/2 Bisleys. I've done springs and smoothed triggers and sears. Spent lots of time at the bench developing handloader etc. I have discovered the key to accuracy is in the cylinder throats. My favorite pistol ever is my first Bisley that I bought used from a grumpy old guy at a gun show. He had taken the time to do all the cool stuff and it is a shooter.
It will routinely put 5 of 6 rounds on 10 inch steel plate at 100 yards open sights.
The other Bisley was my sons and it is not nearly as accurate. I measured the throats and they run .451 to .453
So on my ever increasing list of gun stuff to do is round up my friends with 45 colt BHs, do some shooting, then rent a throat reamer and see how much improvement we get.
Stay tuned, at the rate my gun projects are moving I should have it done before we have flying cars.

· Registered
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·

· Registered
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

· Registered
1,999 Posts
I would like to shoot the Marlin. I have a 90s era winchester 94 with the cross bolt safety. It's a 16 inch trapper super handy and easy to carry but the trigger is awful and it's not as smooth as my older 94s or my Marlins.
My 1994, Winchester .45 Colt Trapper was the only pistol caliber rifle I had when I wanted to shoot Cowboy Silhouette. The gunsmith friend who worked on the trigger said that he got really tired of taking it apart and re-assembling it before getting it to where it was OK (never weighed it but it is nice). I got the impression that he never wanted to do another one so my 1994 30-30 is still 'as-issued'. Every time I set that Trapper on the bench between strings that $$%^# cross bolt safety would go back on, not sure I ever learned to expect it but a couple of properly sized 'O'-rings finally kept it from happening.

rmichael needs a .45 lever gun to go with the revolver!

Bruce

· Registered
264 Posts
15ish years ago the was a smith in town named Milt Morrison. He was a genius with ruger single action. He was also very good with the lever guns. If you had the funds he would "fix" the junk trigger, smooth the action and get rid of the cross bolt safety. The latter required rebluing the gun.
Unfortunately my kids were young, money was tight blah blah blah. Anyhow i missed my window on that.

· Registered
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
My 1994, Winchester .45 Colt Trapper was the only pistol caliber rifle I had when I wanted to shoot Cowboy Silhouette. The gunsmith friend who worked on the trigger said that he got really tired of taking it apart and re-assembling it before getting it to where it was OK (never weighed it but it is nice). I got the impression that he never wanted to do another one so my 1994 30-30 is still 'as-issued'. Every time I set that Trapper on the bench between strings that $$%^# cross bolt safety would go back on, not sure I ever learned to expect it but a couple of properly sized 'O'-rings finally kept it from happening.

rmichael needs a .45 lever gun to go with the revolver!

Bruce
lol lol ... not sure it will happen anytime soon but i'm always open for suggestions ...

· Registered
2,365 Posts
OMG ... those are just what a Buckeye needs on his BH ... i'm going to have to look into these ...
I always thought the buckeye burl looked better on a stainless gun. If you don’t see what you want in his store, you can call him up and see what he has. He is a super nice guy, and very honest.

· Registered
15,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Ok, after some delay I finally got some time to clean up the new filly. Switched out the black plastic "cheese graters" for a set of Altamont grips I had laying around. They won't be staying on long, only till I find some grips to my liking.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

· Registered
.22 Single Six and Ten, three Wranglers, 2 44 Vaqueros, MkII, 10-22, 22 Charger, 77-357, GP100s.
852 Posts
I recently bought a set of birdshead grips for my Wrangler Shopkeeper from bmggrips. The fit and finish are great. A set of bmggrips for a Blackhawk would be a good choice.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts