Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am a new forum member and have been shooting for less than a year. To this point I have been going to a public range and renting a gun (usually a .22 Ruger).

I have finally decided I am going to buy my own Ruger and join a private range. I need some advice! I have my appointment with my local Police Department on Wednesday (I hear they are tough and normally give out restricted LTC :(). Any tips on what to say or not would be appreciated!

Thanks for listening!:)

Lisa

·
Registered
17,071 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Welcome from central Kansas.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome from your neighbor to the north.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lisa - from "The Mountain State"

Good luck with the permit - hopefully someone from MA will chime in with some helpful tips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome fellow Bostonian, I'm in lexington I got a unrestricted ltc... Only think it took me 12 weeks to get my ltc, not really a big deal. I never had to go in for my interview, the lt of lexington called me up and asked me a few questions. He also liked the fact that I am going to become a firearms instructor. It all really depends on the town here in the lovely state of MA lol. Like my friend in Watertown which isn't that far from me, he got a ltc but with range restrictions,

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Welcome from the Florida PanHandle near Pensacola...
Merry Christmas & God Bless....

·
US Constitution Defender
889 Posts
Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forum.

I know Danvers and the North Shore pretty well.

Here is a hyperlink about restrictions on Massachusetts License To Carry:

Mass License to Carry (LTC) Restrictions « ltctrain

There is much more information available by googling the following search string:

massachusetts restricted LTC

Basically, the state does not want people to have guns at all but can not make them illegal due to the Second Amendment.

So, it has been made as difficult as possible.

Bottom line... if Essex County Sheriff Frank G. Cousins, Jr. decides he is inclined not to give you a LTC, then you don't get one. If he decides to restrict it in any way then it will be restricted. A court redress is possible but the country sheriff has the final say in Massachusetts.

The good news is Sheriff Cousins is a Republican initially appointed by Republican Gov Bill Weld and has won reelection ever since that appointment in 1996.

The not good news is Republican office holders in states like Massachusetts tend to be wobbly just to get along with the liberal strong armed media and state liberal office holders.

It matters who you are, what your background check turns up and doesn't turn up, who you have as a county sheriff and what kind of a mood he is in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.