Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new GP100 22 with 5.5 in barrel at Sportsman's Warehouse today!
I am eager to go to the range tommorow and check it out.
This may be the only type of firearm we are allowed to own soon. :mad: It isn't black and it has that magic 10 round capacity so it won't assault anyone.
The fit and finish is flawless.
The action works well. I am a little surprised by how heavy the trigger pull is in DA. SA trigger pull is great!
It is little heavy, but is well balanced.

I am looking for recommendations for a holster for use at the range only. I have seen some posts from several years ago but I am wondering if there is something new. It needs to be right handed, brown leather is preferred, covers the entire barrel, holds the gun securely and is easy to draw from.
20200707_141606.jpg

·
Righteous Dude
21,626 Posts
Looks great! I hope you enjoy it. The DA on rimfire revolvers tend to be a bit heavy for ignition. Wear it out! 😜

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It came with an empty cylinder indicator. I had not seen one of these before. I have seen discussions about dryfire damage to Ruger revolvers, even though the manual says it's OK. This GP100 manual says that dryfire is OK but don't dryfire with the "safety disk". I don't know if they are referring to this device or the type that fits over the ejector star. Your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the GP100 to a range in the middle of nowhere Nevada today. I really enjoyed shooting it! I was shooting at steel flip up targets, jumping targets, clays and cans. I wasn't able to hit the targets as well as I had hoped. I set up a paper target and shot from a rest at about 15 yards. It was about 3-4 inches low and 1-2 inches to the left. I dialed it in and was happy with the results. I plan to go to an indoor range soon and continue to fine tune it. This is going to be a fun gun!

The DA trigger pull seemed to lessen after around 50 rounds. I think a little more break-in and it will be good to go.

It was a little difficult to push the spent rounds out of the cylinder. I watched a review video where the guy was able to easily push them out with no resistance. He commented that some revolvers were difficult but that the GP100 ejected the rounds with no problems. I cleaned the gun thoroughly before going to the range. I was shooting Federal American Eagle ammo.

What is your experience with ejecting rounds with this gun?

20200701_102403.jpg
20200701_104235.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice range! While you break it in, brush out the cylinder every 100 rounds or so. You will also see which ammo is dirtier then others. Double action smooths out the more you shoot it.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,642 Posts
Love the GP you have here! Very good looking revolver. Enjoy...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought the 4.2" GP100 version a few months ago and it's become one of my all time favorites. Congratulations to you for having the good sense to get one of these beauties. "It's a 10 round assault revolver!" Hickock45

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been considering this gun for about 2 years but nobody in Reno has had it in stock. I was surprised to see it on the rack at Sportsmans Warehouse and, after checking it out, I just couldn't pass it up!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,188 Posts
I bought my KGP100 22-55 in 2016, when they first came out. Out of the box, this was the worst Ruger I have ever bought. After a couple hours on the bench, it turned out half way decent, however for what I paid for it, I expected it to be more like a S&W Mod 617 (same price). Accuracy is "fair", certainly not as good as I expected. Trigger pull was horrible in DA and marginal in SA prior to doing a full action job. I found all sorts of galls and machining chips inside the gun. Once the galls were removed and a fluff & buff was done, it started coming around. Later at the range, I found I was getting light rim strikes (factory springs) so back to the work bench. I found the hammer channel had not been milled properly so hammer movement was limited by the rounded corners in the frame's hammer channel. A little work with a needle file and all was well. Further, the firing pin was defective and had to be replaced. After I got the gun working like it should have been out of the box, I guess I lost interest in it and stashed it in my safe. I'm taking my grandson to an indoor range next week so I think I'll take the GP100-22 along and see if it still works.

Yes, extraction is not easy. I attribute most of that to the 10 round cylinder .... moving 10 empties is harder than just six. I found if I point the muzzle straight up with the cylinder swung out, then give the ejector rod a healthy push, it would eject all 10 spent cases.

Reactions: TNMark

·
Registered
43 Posts
..extraction can be a problem sometimes if the gun has been dry-fired - because the rimfire guns may actually nick the edges of the chamber a bit.

this raises a small burr that impedes extraction after the case has expanded.

the folks at brownells sell a simple tool they call an "iron" which effectively mitigates these almost imperceptible high spots.

having experienced this problem - I bought the tool and found it to be completely satisfactory.

now if/when I dryfire - it's which expended brass in the chambers - no more issues - good luck!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Extraction problems can be a matter of brass. I've found CCI extracts, Blazer doesn't, Aquila doesn't. Haven't tried any others because CCI Mini-Mags work and they work in all my other .22s. Other manufactures may work in your gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts