Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again everyone, I just picked up my new GP100 yesterday and I'm loving it so far. I went with the Match Champion with the adjustable rear. I was somewhat leary of QC with some of the posts I've read here. However, I am grateful for all of your reviews, good and bad. I think they've helped me to manage my expectations of the revolver and see it more for what it is as opposed to what I wished it was or wasn't. A few things I've noticed before being able to hit the range (either tomorrow or Sunday):
1) The rear sight was adjusted somewhat noticeably to the left. Do they zero them at the factory?
2) The trigger isn't as smooth as the model that was displayed (which was also dry fired and cocked by every customer that held it). But it's better than either of the two Taurus DA's I've owned. One of my buddies (who also has a few Smiths and a LNIB King Cobra) was about to mug me for it. He really liked the action.
3) Around the firing pin there's a sort of red "smudge." I tried searching online and don't have a clue as to what it is. I'm not concerned about it, just curious. I'll post a pic if I can.
4) Fit and finish is okay. Not great. Machine marks in nooks and crannies but nothing that I can't live with. I'm not one to abuse my gear but I don't necessarily romp through the brush in a large hamster ball either. The lines that they gave this model are smooth and symmetrical. I was very pleased with it.
5) It points very nicely and has a nice heft to it. I can't wait to put it through the paces. It wears comfortably OWB in a Bianchi Cyclone holster.

Thanks for reading and for any feedback you may have. Sorry for the Charles Dickens post, I tried to keep it short.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks like just some red paint on the proof rounds they test fire it with. Should come off with a wire brush or steel wool. Congrats on the new gun!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sound great! I don't think they necessarily zero the sights at the factory. I'd center them up and then zero them in yourself. The trigger will smooth up. Put at least a few boxes through it and see what you think. I wouldn't hesitate to swap out the springs if it is still too heavy a pull at that point.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just got a new stainless GP100 I tried the Match Champion and for the extra money I couldn't tell the difference between the two actions as far as smoothness went. Niether can compare to my 586, which is silky smooth. So I went with the regular GP100. After an hour with 1000 and 2000 wet dry paper on the parts followed up with a Dremmel polishing wheel and a set of Wolf springs it is much better. Back in 1991 I bought a new in the box GP100 at a gun show in San Antonio and out of the box that trigger was smoother than this new revolver even after getting worked over. I think the older ones made in the late 80's were better guns. None the less, it is a great weapon and does it's job so I am happy.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Looks like just some red paint on the proof rounds they test fire it with. Should come off with a wire brush or steel wool. Congrats on the new gun!

..... or with regular use

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey fellas, I appreciate your insight and responses. slimjim9, I'm definitely gonna run a couple hundred rounds through it before I even think about tinkering with the springs. I couldn't agree more with you more. And thanks for fielding that info on the sights too. Those that wanted pics, I'll hopefully have some up with some afterthoughts from a trip to the range.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My GP came with the sights way over to the left and thankfully I had to center the sight to shoot straight. I think I had the red mark also but it soon goes away. Hope you love it.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
As mentioned already Ruger assembles and test fires for function and safety but does not regulate the sights. You get the privilege of doing that job yourself. The red smudges are typical as well and I agree with the opinion they're from the proof loads used. Whatever the cause they can easily be cleaned off or better yet shoot a couple boxes of ammo and they'll disappear.

I'm not convinced the older guns were really any better than the new ones. I've had a number of GP's from the 1980s and early 1990s and a bunch from recent production and some are better than others across the board. What has changed is the popularity of gun forums where everybody can whine and complain about everything that they find disappointing in their new gun. The happy owners rarely post because they're out having fun shooting up their ammo. This gives the impression that quality control is poor, problems are rampant, etc. It's all anecdotal opinions and hard to quantify while the manufacturers keep the real data to themselves.

Congrats on the MC - enjoy.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The happy owners rarely post because they're out having fun shooting up their ammo.

Congrats on the MC - enjoy.
I agree, despite my several times having praised my five-year old blued 6" GP.

"After an hour with 1000 and 2000 wet dry paper on the parts followed up with a Dremmel polishing wheel "

That's why I never buy a used gun.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The GP100 MC has become my favorite. It only gets better with each outing!

I did not make any changes, alterations, polishing with mine; nothing. I did however disassemble it and cleaned it well, something I personally do not believe you need to do. I did it because I wanted to learn more about this great piece and when I did, I failed to remember they have shims on both sides of the trigger. BE CAREFUL or you might drop one or lose it.

As I said, it's my favorite. As with any, some will love it, some will like it and others will prefer another. Just like a a pretty lady, we all have our favorites.....(of course my wife is mine)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on your new Match Champion! I've had mine for a little while now and it's become my favorite GP100 of the handful I own. Give the trigger a little time to break in, I too was a little underwhelmed when I first brought mine home. After a few hundred rounds it really starts to settle in and feels fantastic.

Have fun and shoot safe!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello everyone, I put close to 300 rounds down range yesterday with my new GP100. Here are a few thoughts. The first couple directly correspond to my initial questions or concerns:
1) I took the advice offered and eyeballed the rear sight to center. It was right on at the range and needed no further adjustment. The front fiber optic dot stood out nicely (it was a gorgeous sunny day, so go figure). I had reservations about the adjustable sight model not being as easy to get on target as the Novak model. In hindsight I have no regrets about my choice. The white box out line on the adjustable rear sight is very much like a Glock's rear sight, which I have to admit I am fond of.
2) In DA, the trigger stacked smoothly with a predictable and fairly crisp break. I ran all but 2 cylinders in double action because I badly need the practice. SA pull was light and crisp and very enjoyable. After the recommended dry firing and range time the action feels as if it's smoothing up some.
3) You all were right about the red smudge around the firing pin. It was gone very quickly after the lead started flying.

The ammo was largely 158 gr with a 50/50 mix of magnums and 38's. A friend chronographed two 125 gr "defensive loads" - both magnums. Federal's JHP and Hornady's Critical Defense both averaged 1,400+ fps.
The attractive hardwood Hogue grip turned into a crocodile with magnum loads when I took my gloves off. I just wanted to see how it felt and I certainly found out. I have never had a handgun blister my hands before and can now take that off of my bucket list. If I were to run a ton of heavier loads through it in a single sitting, I'd either glove up and/or use it as an excuse to get a set of the Lett's-style grips and panels.
The only thing that really concerned me was that:
a) I still haven't been able to remove the trigger assembly-she's in there pretty tightly.
b) The cylinder locked up a couple times after 200 rounds. I'm chalking this up to excessive carbon build up and perhaps a tad too much oil on my part. I regret that I didn't get a pic of this thing while she was filthy for you all. I didn't buy her to let her sit in the safe.

As always I appreciate you all weighing in and have appreciated your previous advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone, I put close to 300 rounds down range yesterday with my new GP100. Here are a few thoughts. The first couple directly correspond to my initial questions or concerns:
1) I took the advice offered and eyeballed the rear sight to center. It was right on at the range and needed no further adjustment. The front fiber optic dot stood out nicely (it was a gorgeous sunny day, so go figure). I had reservations about the adjustable sight model not being as easy to get on target as the Novak model. In hindsight I have no regrets about my choice. The white box out line on the adjustable rear sight is very much like a Glock's rear sight, which I have to admit I am fond of.
2) In DA, the trigger stacked smoothly with a predictable and fairly crisp break. I ran all but 2 cylinders in double action because I badly need the practice. SA pull was light and crisp and very enjoyable. After the recommended dry firing and range time the action feels as if it's smoothing up some.
3) You all were right about the red smudge around the firing pin. It was gone very quickly after the lead started flying.

The ammo was largely 158 gr with a 50/50 mix of magnums and 38's. A friend chronographed two 125 gr "defensive loads" - both magnums. Federal's JHP and Hornady's Critical Defense both averaged 1,400+ fps.
The attractive hardwood Hogue grip turned into a crocodile with magnum loads when I took my gloves off. I just wanted to see how it felt and I certainly found out. I have never had a handgun blister my hands before and can now take that off of my bucket list. If I were to run a ton of heavier loads through it in a single sitting, I'd either glove up and/or use it as an excuse to get a set of the Lett's-style grips and panels.
The only thing that really concerned me was that:
a) I still haven't been able to remove the trigger assembly-she's in there pretty tightly.
b) The cylinder locked up a couple times after 200 rounds. I'm chalking this up to excessive carbon build up and perhaps a tad too much oil on my part. I regret that I didn't get a pic of this thing while she was filthy for you all. I didn't buy her to let her sit in the safe.

As always I appreciate you all weighing in and have appreciated your previous advice.
Mine stays in mine pretty tight too. I actually have to take a punch and hammer and lightly tap the plunger downward, then lightly tap the trigger guard assembly outward just so i can remove it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
After I bought my m/c I read where ruger supposedly paid a little more attention to them and did a action job and installed hammer shims. Mine didn't feel any smoother or lighter than any standard off the shelf gp100 I felt. When I took mine apart it did indeed have shims installed but the internal surfaces looked just as rough as any ruger I've seen. A little polishing on the hammer and sear made a world of difference. It's nowhere near s&w smooth and light (forgive me) but it's waaay better than it was when I first got it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
welcome to the MC club!!! we need on of those nifty forum sig square thingies that everyone has for the Match Champion :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts