Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a new GP100 Match Champion.

It's had one visit to the range and it was pretty nifty. Quite accurate. Trigger pull was very stout in double action and wasn't particularly smooth feeling.

After I brought it back I cleaned it up a bit and took a close look I noticed that the hammer is noticeably off center. It's practically flush with the left side frame, with a noticeable gap on the right.

I can wiggle the hammer, too.

I haven't broken the thing down yet to get a good look at the interior but I was kind of surprised.

I noticed a distinct squeak (I think coming from the hammer) when dry firing, too. A generous amount of Safariland LP and then working the action seemed to resolve the squeak....

Polished and optimized internals, a centering boss on the trigger, and centering shims on the hammer produce a smooth double-action trigger pull and a crisp and consistent let-off.

The pistol functions just fine as is (I suppose) but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. My SP101 Match Champion probably has a better DA trigger, which is not what I expected.(although to be fair it has hundreds of rounds through it and probably thousands of dry fires).

Any opinions on whether this should go back to Ruger? Is it unreasonable to expect the hammer to actually be centered on this? Would I be better off adding the necessary shims myself instead of sending it back to Ruger?

I had read elsewhere on this forum that the 'polished and optimized internals' were basically non-existent and that shims were just thrown in there haphazardly 'to say they were there'. Any thoughts, opinions?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had a similar issue with mine. I think the squeaking is from particulates left over from manufacturing. I disassembled mine, cleaned thoroughly and oiled, and also polished the sides of the hammer a little. It helped, but I ended up sending mine back. The gun would start to bind up after it got a little warm, and Ruger forgot to chamfer the cylinder holes before it left the factory. When I sent it back, I also mentioned the mediocre trigger and occasional squeaking. It was returned in much better working order with a much better trigger (DA and SA) and is now my favorite modern DA revolver. I say try cleaning out the internals thoroughly, but don’t hesitate to send it back if the action isn’t what you expect. Fortunately their customer service is excellent, I just wish their QC was on the same level.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now that you mention it, my cylinder did have some sort of weird issue with binding up or otherwise being 'funny' once while at the range.

I wasn't able to recreate the issue so I chocked it up to being unfamiliar with the pistol and maybe flubbing one of the controls.

Now that you mention chamfering... I also noticed that magtech .357 rounds absolutely would NOT eject no matter how hard I smacked the ejector rod. I had to knock/grab them out with my fingers.

My cylinder doesn't seem to have been chamfered either... I think...

I see a little line around each chamber, but it doesn't look very pronounced and certainly not as thick as my SP101 (which is definitely chamferred)

Edit: Actually looking further... I think my chamber does have some chamfering... but it certainly doesn't look very pronounced... opinions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
These are not "top of the line" revolvers, but they aren't Dollar Store priced, either. If I had a problem with mine, I would call Ruger and send it back if that's what it takes. I don't tear my guns apart, especially a new one, because I don't know how for one, and I would not want to mess with the warranty. Ruger revolvers, Colt, Smith & Wesson...these are the best "every person's" guns here in America. They will take care of any problems, I'm sure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, it’s hard to tell exactly from the photos, but there does appear to be a slight chamfer. The chamfering on mine isn’t super pronounced, but it’s functional. Prior to sending it in, the edge of each chamber was sharp and could cause a round to hang up slightly when loading. I don’t believe that chamfering need to produce a “funnel,” but just a slight bevel to the edge so that it doesn’t catch on a bullet/casing.

You’re hammer does look off-center, which is odd because this revolver is suppose to utilize shims to prevent that sort of thing.

As jeffrefrig said, they aren’t top of the line, custom revolvers. That’s valid, but they aren’t cheap either. Match Cahmp prices put them in the ballpark of some fairly nice autoloaders (HK, Sig, mid-range 1911s) and is on par with a lot of S&W revolvers (who can’t seem to put a barrel on straight, but that’s another story). I may be comparing apples to coconuts, but my point is, you should get what you pay for. On the bright side, every Ruger that I’ve sent back for work (and I’ve sent a few) has always come back significantly better. They usually have a pretty quick turnaround of about two weeks in my experience.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
One would expect that the hammer would be shimmed and centered in a Match Champion revolver as that's how it is advertised. Option 1 is to contact Ruger and explain your complaints and return it for repair/adjustment. Option 2 is to do the work yourself if you feel comfortable with it. I installed shims as needed on my standard GP100 and also installed lighter than stock hammer and trigger return springs from Wolff. The shims are nice because they can center the hammer preventing it from scuffing against the frame, but the lighter weight springs make the biggest difference in the feel of the action and trigger pull. Wolff sells a pack that contains I believe 3 different weight hammer springs and 2 different weight of trigger return springs. I experiment and go with the lightest weight of springs that I can that will still give me reliable primer ignition as well as consistent trigger returns while firing.

Ruger will not install lighter weight springs for you, that you have to do on your own.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I tore mine down and did the IBOK smoothing before the first range trip. Found what looked like red garnet grinding debris inside in quite a few places. My hammer was shimmed, but not the trigger. Made shims for the trigger. I quite like it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts