Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been looking at a GP100 for quite some time, with my eye on the 1755 Match Champion edition to pair along with my SP-101MC. Of course as soon as I get enough spare cash to pull the trigger I see that they came out with a "Deluxe" GP100 Talo exclusive with engraving... :eek:

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1784.html

https://ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/specSheets/1755.html

The two pistols at first seem pretty similar. Both GP100s with a 4.2 inch barrel and use the same adjustable rear + fiber optic front sights (Edit:it was pointed out they actually use different sights). Cosmetically they have a few obvious differences, but that isn't what most interests me.

Ruger doesn't mention any special trigger or internal work for the 1784 "deluxe" - but on the 1755 MC specifically mention centering the hammer and putting shims in the trigger along with additional polishing of internals. I believe they also taper the cylinder on the MC and chamfer the cylinders and give it a 11* target crown.

I don't suppose anyone has handled both pistols? Does the "Deluxe" 1784 get any additional work on the trigger or any other components or is it simply pretty grips and engravings? It certainly comes with a hefty premium over a standard GP100 and even a pinch more than the match champion.

Finally... the 1784 appears to have some writing or etching on the top strap of the revolver but doesn't clearly show it in any pictures I've seen. Does anyone know if that is an additional Ruger rollmark, more scrolling/engraving or is it a dreaded "READ INSTRUCTION MANUAL, DUMMY" mark? Most importantly... does that dumb mark appear ANYWHERE on the pistol? I was able to live with my SR1911 and SP101 having it on the underside of frame/barrel, although wasn't happy with it. I could not abide with it being directly on the top strap of the gun or some other super obvious place.

·
Registered
94 Posts
From the website it looks like the only thing Deluxe about it is the engraving.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,892 Posts
I think it's all about the machine engraving. If you like the looks of it and want it then that's your choice. The minimal "action job" (mostly just shimming) on the MC can be done to any GP100 either as a DIY or by any competent gunsmith. If you like the barrel profile and tapered cylinder on the MC then go that way.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Underneath the spec sheet the list is 4 lines for the deluxe,more for the MC.I would think Ruger would list any upgrades besides engraving.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Which grips would be more comfortable to you? My self, I like the heft and balance of the full lug barrel, but others may prefer the half lug. Also the Talo appears to accept the interchangeable front sights of the GP100 while the Match Champion is a dove tail front sight. Does the machine engraving add value and appeal to you? I seriously doubt that any custom fitting is done to the action of the two revolvers shown.

I prefer the standard GP100 revolver and do my own shimming, but it's all up to the personal preference of the person doing the buying.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engraving is highly appealing to me as are the classic look of the grips. I like that the markings on the engraved pistol are much more subdued whereas on the match champion it SCREAMS it's name on the slab sided barrel. Those bold face decals have certain charm their own, but it's a little gaudy IMO (which is some kind of ironic coming from a guy considering a firearm with engraved scrolling).

I was curious about the top of that top strap though... if it's more scrolling i'd be groovy on it. If it's a reminder to read the manual I'll instantly cross it off my list.

Unfortunately nowhere I've visited locally has a GP100 match champion in stock or the deluxe version of the GP100 either so I can't get handsy and finger them a bit before I try.

Despite my desire for engraving, this pistol is intended to be the kind of gun that always comes along for a range visit. Something about slowly dropping the rounds into the cylinder of a six shooter and hearing that 'da-thunk' is just so zen-like. Combine it with the mental and physical concentration to align the sights and it really is a form of meditation. :rolleyes:

But with that in mind, I do care about how it shoots. That leads me towards the match champion, but reading around some old threads it's been said by some folks have that the Match Champion's internal improvements are minimal/questionable at best. I read at least one user claiming that of the specific examples at his LGS, the MC didn't even have the best trigger pull. I also saw pics of some examples that were... sub-standard.

My own experience with the SP101 Match Champion was that it was a nice pistol but either came with cracked grips or the grips cracked after the first magnum loads went through it. It also had a squirrly feeling ejector rod (which, to be fair - Ruger offered to fix immediately and without complaint). It still hasn't made it's way back to Ruger yet because I love it too much, flaws and all, to let it leave my safe just yet.

wproct, I appreciate the heads up on the sights. I didn't realize they actually utilize a different type of fiber optic AND mounting method.

Can anyone guess as to which pistol will appreciate in value more over time (or depreciate the least)? Obviously the engraved pistol has a higher initial purchase price - but other than the engraving there isn't anything particularly unique about it.. whereas the Match Champion has several features not really available stock on any other GP100 including the tapered cylinder and slab side barrel mod on a half underlug.

Of course I could always have someone do some engraving on the match champion for a truly unique piece... hmmm... life is full of tough choices :):p:cool:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do you plan to shoot the gun a lot?- Match Champion

Do you plan to look at it a lot and mostly keep it in the safe?- engraved

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would check gunbroker for deals on the MC model. They are more common at this point, so you can often find screaming deals on them. I got a brand new Match Champion in 10mm for right around $570 with free shipping through an auction!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you plan to shoot the gun a lot?- Match Champion

Do you plan to look at it a lot and mostly keep it in the safe?- engraved
What if I plan to look at the gun a lot AND shoot it a lot? I, personally, don't find the appeal of buying a pretty gun and putting it in the safe, never to see the light of day. Bring that pretty baby out and shoot it while others on the line cringe at the sound of the 125GR magnums screaming out the shiny stainless barrel. Of course you clean that baby up nice and oil her after every outing - to be used, not abused is my motto.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Zooming in on the picture of the top strap of the engraved model I can see that it says "RUGER GP100" and below that it looks like it says "357 magnum" followed by a few more characters which I can't make out. Which makes sense because you can plainly see that it doesn't list the caliber on the barrel like the other models.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 6" GP100 and a 4.2 MC. The trigger on the 6" is better than the MC but I have over 4000 rounds through the 6" and have done some polishing. Only around 1000 through the MC and haven't done anything to the internals, yet.

Sorry but can't help with info about those you are contemplating. Yep, tough choices! Nice thing to have. Whatever you get, get what makes you happy. Then get the other one, too!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
There’s several differences between the 2 Ruger GP100’s you like. But fancy scrolling & slab sided barrels doesn’t make either revolver shoot any better than a stock stainless steel either 4 inch or 6 inch Ruger GP100 can do. I will say I looked for 2 years before I bought my first Ruger GP100. I ended up with a Blued GP100 Wiley Clapp unit with a 3 inch barrel. My trigger pull was ok I didn’t rush out to install new Wolff springs etc. But after shooting several hundred rounds the action is very smooth & a beautiful trigger pull. But what stands out are the Novak sights that came with my Revolver totally the best sights I have used!!! Good Luck to the OP!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Let me ask this question. Can anyone 'rate' the apparent quality of the engraving on the "deluxe" version? It's machined engraved and not unique which certainly matters... but can anyone throw out a ballpark figure on how much an equivalent job might cost at a gunsmith/engraver? I've looked into engraving once or twice and always found that number one - I didn't really know what I wanted and number 2 the price was really quite expensive. I visited one website that showed nearly 'identical' looking engraving could vary wildly in price depending on the actual detail.

Leaning towards the engraved one and perhaps getting a trigger job later on if I'm really dissatisfied with how it runs after putting some rounds through it and an evening or two of dry fire. I called around and couldn't find either model in stock at the big box gun stores - and probably couldn't afford the markup at any of the smaller shops.

I did feel up a standard 4.2 inch GP100 at Scheels today. They said they had a match champion but it sold two days ago. I matched it up against a 686 that they had in the case next to it, also 4.2.

Good GOD that particular Smith had one of the heaviest double action triggers I've ever pulled. It was easily tougher than my J-frame and next to the GP100 I held was quite a joke. The GP100 double action easily over 10 but I'm pretty sure that 686 was nearing 14lbs or more (according to my questionably calibrated finger and the gentleman at the counter). Combined with the Hillary Hole 'lock that isn't a lock because anyone can open it' I crossed any new production 686 out of contention. I would note that the 686's ejector rod felt like a much better fit. I don't know if it's by design but the Ruger's ejector was kind of loosey goosey feeling.

I'm going to sleep on it for another day or two and see if I can find one locally to actually put my hands on before I drop that many bills on a gun through the mail sight unseen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Let me ask this question. Can anyone 'rate' the apparent quality of the engraving on the "deluxe" version? It's machined engraved and not unique which certainly matters... but can anyone throw out a ballpark figure on how much an equivalent job might cost at a gunsmith/engraver? I've looked into engraving once or twice and always found that number one - I didn't really know what I wanted and number 2 the price was really quite expensive. I visited one website that showed nearly 'identical' looking engraving could vary wildly in price depending on the actual detail.

Leaning towards the engraved one and perhaps getting a trigger job later on if I'm really dissatisfied with how it runs after putting some rounds through it and an evening or two of dry fire. I called around and couldn't find either model in stock at the big box gun stores - and probably couldn't afford the markup at any of the smaller shops.

I did feel up a standard 4.2 inch GP100 at Scheels today. They said they had a match champion but it sold two days ago. I matched it up against a 686 that they had in the case next to it, also 4.2.

Good GOD that particular Smith had one of the heaviest double action triggers I've ever pulled. It was easily tougher than my J-frame and next to the GP100 I held was quite a joke. The GP100 double action easily over 10 but I'm pretty sure that 686 was nearing 14lbs or more (according to my questionably calibrated finger and the gentleman at the counter). Combined with the Hillary Hole 'lock that isn't a lock because anyone can open it' I crossed any new production 686 out of contention. I would note that the 686's ejector rod felt like a much better fit. I don't know if it's by design but the Ruger's ejector was kind of loosey goosey feeling.

I'm going to sleep on it for another day or two and see if I can find one locally to actually put my hands on before I drop that many bills on a gun through the mail sight unseen.
The ejector rod on a 686 HAS to be much tighter, since the tip of the ejector rod actually acts as a locking point for the entire cylinder assembly. The gp100 has a locking point on the cylinder crane instead which engages directly with the frame. This is generally considered a more rugged and robust design (since the locking point is much closer to the cylinder, rather than way out there on the tip of a steel rod). The Ruger ejector rods are therefore only used for one purpose (ejecting) and don’t have to fulfill the secondary purpose of securing the cylinder (like they do in S&W’s).

Anyway: I should also mention that the trigger on my Match Champion was much better in both DA and SA than my stock gp100. The difference was especially noticeable in SA: it was much crisper and lighter. Could be just “luck of the draw” though.
I have also installed trigger, hammer and hammer dog shims on a gp100, and I can say it’s extremely easy and inexpensive. You can get a full shim set for $20 from triggershims.com with free shipping, and measuring the gaps and installing them is super easy. So I wouldn’t even consider the inclusion of shims on the MC to be much of a factor if I were you.
Anyway good luck making your decision!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts