Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new GP100 today and am disappointed with the poor fit of the wood insert in the grip. I have and have had a few of these exact grips and this one is horrible. Calling Ruger in the AM. I am about to find out if the customer service is as good as I've heard.
Helmet Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK...why accept it from the FFL doing the transfer?
You’ve already paid for it..you own it.. the transferring ffl has zero to do with the transaction..

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
With the scarcity of GP Rugers, I would have bought it knowing the inserts weren’t perfect.

@Phreddie, have you considered upgrading to aftermarket inserts that are a little nicer. If not, I am willing to bet Ruger will send you new inserts if you contact CS and send them a picture. I seriously doubt you will be asked to send the gun to them.

·
Registered
Ruger Rimfire Junkie
263 Posts
I went through the same issue with Ruger Customer Service last year.
My GP100 (1757) had inserts that did not fit the rubber grip properly.
Customer Service went "above and beyond", IMO, but could not make things right,
as the basic issue is with the vendor who supplies the grip inserts.

My cure for my issues with grip inserts as well as Single-Six grip fit issues has been
going to an aftermarket craftsman!
Extra cost, yes, but pride of ownership is worth the extra cost to me!!
Thanks to Chig's Grips!!

Rex

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

Air gun Revolver Trigger Grey Line

·
Registered
463 Posts
In my experience, that's the risk of buying online. You can save some $ AND get access to otherwise hard to find guns, but there is risk in what gets delivered. IMHO, you did right in accepting the gun as the defect was minor and had nothing to do with the receiving FFL. Rejecting it/sending it back would have put him in the middle of a dispute. ( Lets not forget, he's making $20-$40 on the arrangement) In any case, I'd offer: a) Ruger will take care of this at no cost. b) Sounds like a good excuse for a grip panel upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Customer Service went "above and beyond", IOM, but could not make things right,

My cure for my issues with grip inserts as well as Single-Six grip fit issues has been
Thanks to Chig's Grips!!

Rex

View attachment 170013

View attachment 170014
The light colored wood looks good with the stainless. Been thinking about finishing a set myself. Is that maple?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
While RCS has been very good to me, my experience getting them to change out grips has not. As r2r said, these are a vendor item, and you pretty much get what you get. There are some excellent aftermarket grip makers, and I would recommend going this route. It is just the first step in customizing your new gun. Be careful it is addicting.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would recommend the Altamont version of that grip w/inserts. The Altamont rubber is textured on the backstrap and underneath for a more positive grip and their snakeskin or checkered inserts look great and fit snug in the rubber. Don't buy Altamont inserts to use in the Ruger OE rubber or you will have a gap between the rubber and insert. I learned this from my own experience.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sounds like RUger CS admitted they are aware of a supplier problem, but accepted non-compliant product, anyway, (no RCCA) and knowingly shipped the customers inferior parts. That's not exactly customer-first practice.

Customer service goes much deeper than a nice voice at the phone desk.

Again, don't waste their time with cosmetics, but mechanical issues (and a "ship it anyway" practices) are things that affect a company's reputation. Word spreads quickly these days.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would recommend the Altamont version of that grip w/inserts. The Altamont rubber is textured on the backstrap and underneath for a more positive grip and their snakeskin or checkered inserts look great and fit snug in the rubber. Don't buy Altamont inserts to use in the Ruger OE rubber or you will have a gap between the rubber and insert. I learned this from my own experience.
I ordered a set of Altamonts rubber grips two weeks back. Despite the grips showing as being in stock, I was emailed later that day saying there would be a 4 week wait while they made them. Nice product but disappointing /deceptive advertising.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As expected, things went well with Ruger customer service. A single phone call without much wait and an email with some pics and lees than 2 hours later I have an order number for new rosewood inserts. Yes, it is part of the risk of ordering online but is offset by the cost savings. I have $840 total in a new model 1773. That is everything including local FFL.

I noticed it right off but did not want to refuse it because it wasn't a sever fault and I expected Ruger to make it good without much hassle.

This is a replacement of a GP100 lost in a divorce settlement years ago. Except for the sights and being 7 rounds it matches. It also matches my Super Redhawk .44 big brother.

I'm not counting my chickens yet since I haven't got the replacements yet. Worst case is I replace the grips on both to keep them matching.

@AzShooter1 I don't think they are ugly. I'll do better than you and keep my subjective thoughts about your hat to myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Customer Service went "above and beyond", IOM, but could not make things right,

Thanks to Chig's Grips!!

Rex
Thanks for the info and the lead. I may need to go that route. It sounds like I'm not the first with the issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like RUger CS admitted they are aware of a supplier problem, but accepted non-compliant product, anyway, (no RCCA) and knowingly shipped the customers inferior parts. That's not exactly customer-first practice.

Customer service goes much deeper than a nice voice at the phone desk.

Again, don't waste their time with cosmetics, but mechanical issues (and a "ship it anyway" practices) are things that affect a company's reputation. Word spreads quickly these days.
Are you implying that cosmetics don't matter and an unhappy customer shouldn't "bother" customer service? FWIW this is also a functional fault impacting the shooter's grip.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts