Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a New GP100 day before yesterday. I haven't been to the range for around 14 years, and am looking forward to going. My revolver is a .357, with a 4" bbl. I had a Smith many years ago and really liked to shoot it, but I got married and quit shooting.

Anyone know the best place to buy ammo? We have a Walmart and a Cabala's is fairly close by.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You got you a great gun there. When you go to buy ammo, wherever you do decide to go, be prepared for some sticker shock if you have not shot in 14 years! Ammo has skyrocketed the last couple of years. I would say Wally-World would be cheaper than just about anybody on ammo by the way.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yeah, I think the cheapest is Wally-World Winchester white box ammo, in .357 or .38's. A great range/practice round, but it's not what you want for home defense. Then go to the Cabelas and get some good stuff. I like the Federal Vital Shok in .357 loaded with Barnes Expanders. I have seen what they will do to a white tail deer on more than one occasion, and I have no doubts they will stop a BG. By the way congrats on the GP100 you’re going to love it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the same one in SS yesterday too! GMTA! You will love it. I went to the range yesterday and it worked like a charm on both .38 special and .357 magnum loads on steel targets. :D

·
Super Moderator
21,481 Posts
I have a 4" GP100 and it is a shooter and a gun that will last a lifetime or two.

As for the ammo I roll my own and you may want to consider it if you want to do more shooting and enjoy shooting you own ammo.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
congrats!

either way, save your brass.
a feller can always get into reloading later on down the road.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Howdy, I know you'll enjoy the GP100! I do mine. If youall have Dick's Sporting Goods in your areas, I find it a very good place to get ammo. They don't have much of a selection for handgun ammo (or accessories) but pretty good prices especially at sale times. they have very good case prices on 45ACP and 9mm too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wish Ruger would make a GP100 with a 8+" barrel...I owned S&W and have a Taurus 608...Rugers are by far my favorite revolves...

·
Registered
541 Posts
While it's not the cheapest, I've found Remington/UMC's 125gr .38 Special +P hollowpoints in the 100 rd pack to be pretty consistantly stocked by the Wal-Marts in my area. It's an excellent round in its own right, and I especially like it because it's only about $2.00 more than the Wal-Mart stocked Winchester 158 gr .38 Special Target/Range ball ammunition-and because I also use Remington's 125 gr +P Golden Saber as my carry load of choice in both my GP100 and my Security Six, so both my practice, competition and carry loads are in effect one and the same. As I recall, it sells for about $26.00.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Bill, Great gun, it will give you years and years of service. Wallyworld for practice ammo. Try to stay with the 158gr load if possible. It will give you a better chance of doing well right out of the box. Any 158gr or 125gr hollowpoint from a reputable manufacturer will work for self defense, just some are more capable / suitable than others according to your situation. Whatever you get, make sure you practice with it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Howdy, I know you'll enjoy the GP100! I do mine. If youall have Dick's Sporting Goods in your areas, I find it a very good place to get ammo. They don't have much of a selection for handgun ammo (or accessories) but pretty good prices especially at sale times. they have very good case prices on 45ACP and 9mm too.
I buy a lot of American Eagle from my local Dick's. Price is pretty good and they are usually well stocked.

·
Registered
405 Posts
congrats!

either way, save your brass.
a feller can always get into reloading later on down the road.
I did that very thing. Didn't think I had shot that much .38 until I bought the reloading gear and started looking in all the nooks and crannies for brass. I don't think brass will be a big worry for a while.

My son has a GP-100 and had been telling me what a great revolver it was. I gave him the sniff response. After all, how could that big clunky looking thing stand up to my M&P .38 special. He took me out shooting and a week later I was the happy owner of a 4" stainless GP-100. The only thing I can find wrong with the GP-100 is that I don't shoot it enough.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gp100

What a great response from everyone. Thank you all. Way back in the old days, a friend and I had the reloading stuff and we did 9 mm, .38 and .357 and some .44. When we quit shooting he got rid of it all. When I told him I was going to get this new gun, he said "We don't have any reloading stuff anymore", I said, I know.

I guess I'll just have to sell some car parts to fuel my new habit. Anyone need any Mopar parts?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts