Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having recently acquired a UK legal version of the SRH in .44 mag, I found the standard grip a touch small for my hands.

Having had a look in the internet, I found what looked like a good custom option from Nill Grips of Germany, link to their site: Karl Nill GmbH

I placed the order online last Tuesday and the grips were delivered Friday morning - very pleased with the speed of service.

The quality of the grips is fantastic as well - I was expecting nothing special in terms of the wood quality but was very pleasantly surprised with the item upon opening the package:

Owing to the odd UK law regarding the overall length of the gun, I had to modify the grip for the extension rod on my gun, this was about an hours work in order to do a nice job.

Overall I have to say I am very impressed with the quality, fit and finish of these Nill grips. They fit my hand really well and I find they have dramatically aided my double action trigger control.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Great looking grip panels.
Shame you have to have that extension rod sticking out like that.
But, if that's what it takes to be legal, well..... ;)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, would prefer not to need the rod, but would rather have the rod than not have the gun.

Despite how it looks, when shooting the gun the rod doesn't get in the way and isn't really noticeable.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
SRH .44 mag

Very very nice looker.

If you buy a SRH Alaskan, does the law require an eqivalently longer rod? ;)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Just a question for you folks from the UK. Us in the USA can't do this, but I was thinking that since you guys have to make your handguns longer and usually do so with a rod making the legal length, could you also install a stock instead of your lengthening rod? That way you'd be making your handgun legal, but also be able to use the lengthening element. A pistol with a stock sure would be a more accurate weapon than just a handgun alone. Just a thought. Smithy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you buy a SRH Alaskan, does the law require an eqivalently longer rod? ;)
Unfortunately not. The law in the UK is that the gun must have a barrel not less than 12 inches and an overall length not less than 24". Regretablly as much as I would love to have an Alaskan it isn't allowed over here.

Just a question for you folks from the UK. Us in the USA can't do this, but I was thinking that since you guys have to make your handguns longer and usually do so with a rod making the legal length, could you also install a stock instead of your lengthening rod? That way you'd be making your handgun legal, but also be able to use the lengthening element. A pistol with a stock sure would be a more accurate weapon than just a handgun alone. Just a thought. Smithy.
Yes we could and there are actually a couple of models of revolving carbines we are able to buy over here.

The reason we go with the rod is that we want to shoot in the style of the handguns we lost.

For rifle work I have a .44 Mag Henry and a .357 Winchester 94AE Trapper to use.

In the UK I am primarily a target shooter competing in Gallery Rifle, which took off following losing our normal handguns - About Galleryrifle - Galleryrifle this link explains a bit of what I mainly shoot. It is shot with pistol calibre lever actions, rimfire semi-autos etc following courses of fire we originally shot with pistols and revolvers and some new ones as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts