Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new grips came in today from http://abc.eznettools.net/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?25X300536 . I think these are some of my best pictures yet. :D

The new grips make this gun feel 100% better. They fit straight out of the box, I didn't have to do anything to them. It was a straight swap. They also came with a longer screw to fit the extra width. I was trying to use the factory screw until I figured out I was't suppose to lol. I can't wait to take it out to the range again. It's too bad I have to work this weekend.

I have a picture showing the thickness of the new grips if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Those are real nice. It has real good looking grain. I think they would look better without the logo. Is that burned into the wood? Did you only get the one grip? I'd like to see a pic of the other side too!

Jman8182

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quote:Originally posted by Jman8182

Those are real nice. It has real good looking grain. I think they would look better without the logo. Is that burned into the wood? Did you only get the one grip? I'd like to see a pic of the other side too!

Jman8182
The last picture is of the other side. I just like the side with the ejection port. The logos look like they may be inked on. I'm not really sure hwo they got them on there. It's definetly not burned, there's no indentions where the lettering is. It may be a simple decal on top of the enamel.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I haven't kept up with Walther, are they imported by S&W now or owned outright? Don't remember seeing any with the Smith & Wesson name on it before.
Nice looking grips there David! Really set off the stainless finish.
I like mine too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jimbo, I love that PPK. What year/model is it? I want a solid black PPK but they're hard to find now.

Walther is still their own company right now. The PPK is being produced under license by Smith & Wesson. All new PPK's and PPK/S's are made by S&W. There are pluses and minuses to this. The quality isn't as good as the original french-made PPK's. The guns are more reliable for the most part but the finishing touches like hand polishing the edges are left out on the S&W models. The machining inside is actually better than the originals and I think the quality of materials has improved. This is more a result of improved machining technology than anything else. Due to this improved machining process you get very tightly made guns. It feels dead solid in your hand and there's no slack in anything. However, you can tell just holding the two guns side by side that the S&W PPK's aren't made with the same love and care that the originals were. There's something about a gun you know was hand made and cared for that just makes it feel better.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
David, the PPK/s was bought about two years ago, from a wholesale store salesman that carried it as a sample. It is in excellent shape. Don't know what the actual year on mfg is, but can't be too long ago. It shoots very well, and my son has it right now. I do have one other, bought by an uncle in the 30's while he was working in Germany as an engineering consultant. He brought it back with him just before WWII started and it was passed on to me at his death in the 80s. He carried it for personal protection through the 50s as he travelled a lot, then it got retired to a suitcase and forgotten for a bunch years. Oh, it's 32acp. Sorry for the fuzzy picture. I do love the PPK, neat little gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts