Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an EAA Witness P full size chambered in 9 X 19 mm. It's the Tanfoglio Force, imported from Italy by EAA. It's based off the CZ75.

This has got to be the smallest factory pistol case. The EAA Witness P includes one magazine, the instruction manual, a safety lock. It also includes two cleaning brushes: polymer bristle & phosphor bronze.

Back to the pistol...

The grip texture is rough where it needs to be. First picture is the front strap. Second is the back strap. There are no interchangeable grip panels.

Field stripped:

A view into the frame:

Slide field stripped. The metal guide rod is a plus.

A view into the slide. A close up of the rear slide serration.

The barrel. The locking lugs are very 1911-esque.

The feed ramp on the EAA Witness is very steep.

With a magazine & dummy round inserted, you can see the path the round takes to the chamber. It will be interesting to find out if the EAA Witness P is hollow point ammo sensitive.

I can't wait until the weekend to break it in. I plan on firing a hundred factory loads and then transition to my reloads. So far it feels very good in the hand, no sloppy fit or finish. For $299, I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Range report please...looked at one of these on two occasions but didn't find any reliable feedback. Let us know...looks great!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Range report please...looked at one of these on two occasions but didn't find any reliable feedback. Let us know...looks great!
I'll post one up as soon as I get back from the range this weekend. I am/was in the same place as you. I search engines & YouTube didn't return any substantive results.

After initial inspection & function check, I don't expect to have any problems with FMJ's. Because of the steep feed ramp angle, I'm concerned that it will choke on hollow points. The only hollow points I have are 147 gr Hornady Critical Defense & a couple left-over 124 +P Remington Golden Saber's to test through it.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Hey JaPes good job, very nice pistol!

No pun intended, (referencing it's Italian origin), but it has a classy, sleek European look to it. Looks great, I've never seen one before!

Good luck and happy shootin'! Looking forward for the range report ;)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Witness series are fine guns,dependable,accurate,feeds all ammo,and your price paid ? Got mine 1986 and has been flawless all steel model at that time,congrats.
$299.00

Good to hear about your experience with the all steel model. I'm done buying firearms in 2012. My only firearm purchase plan in 2013 is a handgun chambered in 10mm. The EAA Witness 10mm is on my radar.

·
Registered
177 Posts
$299.00??!! Seriously? I don't remember it being that good of a value. Looking forward to your results.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations mate.
Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
586 Posts
had one for a few years- loved it but sold it when i got my sr9c. and bought a 10/22 charger. never had a problem with it or any ammo. let us know how you like yours!

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I have a full sized Witness in .40. My only objection to this fine pistol is that it's kinda heavy. The polymer frame should fix that, though. Is this based on the small frame or the large frame Witness? I understand that Tanfoglio went to all large frames a while back.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Congratulations on your new Tanfoglio Force. My guess is you're going to love it. I too will be looking forward to your range report. Those are some superb photos too. I really envy you guys that have the skill and equipment to take pictures like that. $299 sounds like an amazing buy.

Here's my Tanfoglio Witness Match. It's also a 9mm and holds 18 rounds. It's single action, like a 1911, and it's a superb shooter. It's very attractive IMO, except for the dumb ass rail they began incorporating on all their full size frames about 2 years ago. :) This poor picture doesn't show it, but it's got a nice brushed stainless frame and a polished blue slide. (The grips are aftermarket.)

(Yes, I know rails are popular and functional but, on a target gun they're somehow inelegant.) :D :D :D

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Congratulations on your new Tanfoglio Force. My guess is you're going to love it. I too will be looking forward to your range report. Those are some superb photos too. I really envy you guys that have the skill and equipment to take pictures like that. $299 sounds like an amazing buy.
LOL. I use a Canon Power Shot SX130IS that cost me $199. I think they're around $150 now. I have no skill whatsoever. I set the camera to "AUTO" and let it do what it needs to do. I was ticked off at the camera because pictures were turning out grainy. After two years, I finally found how to set it for it's best quality and voila!

I light the firearm with two $5 desk lamps set close the firearm, and positioned opposite each other to negate shadow. I'd use more, but I'm too lazy to buy more cheap desk lamps.

The real magic happens when I upload to Photobucket. I use their free online photo editing tools. Auto Correct does it's best to clear up the yellow from the florescent bulbs. Crop out the good bits. Resize.

I'm thinking of buying a $4.00 plastic lazy susan, so I can just put the gun down once and rotate it around while taking pictures.

Here's my Tanfoglio Witness Match. It's also a 9mm and holds 18 rounds. It's single action, like a 1911, and it's a superb shooter. It's very attractive IMO, except for the dumb ass rail they began incorporating on all their full size frames about 2 years ago. :) This poor picture doesn't show it, but it's got a nice brushed stainless frame and a polished blue slide. (The grips are aftermarket.)
She sure is a beauty. I'm starting to really like the Tanfoglio pistols. They're a good value for the dollar.

Now if my polymer frame is the one that can support a 10mm caliber conversion kit, I'll be in gun-heaven.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
If it's anything like my .45 full-size Steel Witness, you're gonna love it. Dead nuts accurate, likes everything I've put through it, and I think the design helps with follow-up shots (double taps) due to the barrel being so much closer to your hand.
It makes it REALLY hard choosing between it and my P90.
I got mine for $335 through Davidson's Gun Genie.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Range Report

Went to the range today. Between new hypertension medication & work stress, my shooting wasn't stellar. Excuses...excuses... :(

The EAA Witness P / Tanfoglio Force flawlessly cycled 300 rounds today. 100 Winchester White Box. 100 mild reloads w/frangible truncated projectiles. 50 peppy reloads w/frangible truncated projectiles. 50 peppy reloads w/Berry's 115gr copper plated.

The Witness P is definitely more than the sum of it's parts. Accuracy is spot on accurate. The deep curved & serrated trigger weren't a detriment as I thought it would be. The hybrid grip texture is grippy in all the right places.

My only other comparison to a full size is to my S&W M&P 9fs. Felt recoil with factory rounds and the "peppy" rounds out of the EAA Witness P is on par with a S&W M&P 9fs.

Using the mild handloads, the EAA witness' ejection is more positive than the S&W M&P 9fs. Using the mild loads, my M&P makes a neat pile right by my feet. The same rounds out of the Witness P are flung to the right as if they were full power loads.I perceived less muzzle flip firing the Witness P than my M&P 9fs. It made follow up shots easier.

The EAA Witness DA trigger pull isn't bad at all. The SA trigger pull is perfection.

The one observation I have is that I'm used to manipulating a traditional side that mounts over the frame rails. It gives me more slide surface area to grip it overhand and power-stroke the pistol. The Witness P has less surface area on the slide for an overhand grip & power stroke. No big deal.

Target is out to 10yds./30ft.

First target:

I wasn't concerned about accuracy. I was paying more attention the pistol's function, felt recoil impulse, and trigger.

Second target:

Pistol functioning perfectly. Now paying attention to how the trigger breaks, DA & SA.

Third target:

Paying more attention to the sights & trigger. Moving around to see where POA correlates to POI.

Fourth target:

Now I'm trying to put it all together. I'm getting frustrated because the new hypertension medication is affecting my shooting. This is my first time completely off caffeine & with this new medicine.

Fifth target:

This was the best I could do today. The grouping is good, just off to the right of the bullseye. The Witness P is doing it's job exceptionally well. I'm just not holding up my end of the bargain well.

I can't believe this gun cost $299. It's definitely a bargain.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Congrats on your new pistol. I have the P-Carry version of that gun in 9mm plus I also have the full size steel 45acp/22LR combo with an additional 9mm conversion. I have never had any problems with either. Very reliable and accurate and nice trigger.

If you decide to add the 22LR conversion slide to yours, I have found that mine shoots best with a 40gr 22LR round.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Great range report. Very informative and interesting. Oh yeah, and VERY good shooting too! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts