Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New here and pleased to join a community that adores the SP101 as much as I do (Model 5720)!

Question #1) I have about 400 rounds thru the gun and still trying to teach myself how to properly clean it. When taking a course (4 days at FrontSight) they didn't get into cleaning at all -- and the instructors were baffled when after firing about 300 rounds of 38 the gun would not accept 357 rounds (I thought I was ready for a bigger bang lol). Their gunsmith gave it a quick cleaning for me but now I'm concerned I cannot use "both" sizes of ammo. Any thoughts from others on ammo or cleaning as relates to this issue?

Question #2) I realize my gun has no "rails" on the bottom -- but is there some way to add light/laser to the gun for night home defense (the primary purpose of the gun)?

--------------------
P.S. Here are gun and gun-user specs: Gun is new/stock except I had the trigger spring lightened and added a Hogue grip - both which made the gun awesome. I'm female, 50's, and new to shooting. Oh, and I live in California - the "why on earth do you need a gun?!" State.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Missouri. Very good choice for 1st gun. I own several and like them all. The 38 is a shorter round. With any ammo you shoot there is a carbon ring left behind. With the 38 being shorter 400 rounds through it is enough to cause a thick enough build up that can keep the longer 357 from chambering. If you shoot that many that many 38s per range visit I would suggest you carry a bronze brush and run it through each chamber after about 200 rounds. This is normal in any gun where you shoot a shorter round than the gun was designed for ie:44 Special in a 44 magnum; 32 Long in a 32 H&R. After each range visit I would at least scrub the chambers with the brush and some solvent. It doesn't need to be spotless but the carbon really needs to be removed. What barrel length did you get? As far as laser sights, I'm sure there are some laser companies out there that make a replacement grip for the 101 that would include the laser. As for me I carry a small flashlight to investigate. The flashlight is in the left hand and acts as a support for my right hand that holds the gun. Glad to have you aboard and maybe someone else has some laser company names for you. I hope my explanation makes sense and helps.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Hi! New here and pleased to join a community that adores the SP101 as much as I do (Model 5720)!

Question #2) I realize my gun has no "rails" on the bottom -- but is there some way to add light/laser to the gun for night home defense (the primary purpose of the gun)?

--------------------
P.S. Here are gun and gun-user specs: Gun is new/stock except I had the trigger spring lightened and added a Hogue grip - both which made the gun awesome. I'm female, 50's, and new to shooting. Oh, and I live in California - the "why on earth do you need a gun?!" State.
Crimson Trace makes a laser grip (no light, just a laser) but it is more than $200 and you would have to remove that Hogue grip you like so well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good explanation - thank you. My classmates were using Glocks and kept saying my gun didn't need cleaning for 1000 rounds etc. etc. so it didn't occur to me (or the trainers) the problem was cleaning before changing ammo sizes.

My specific model is Ruger® SP101® Double-Action Revolver Model 5720

I'd include my own photo but the stainless steel is definitely darker now, and really scraped up from a gunsmith filing down the grip so the speed loaders fit quicker. (Keeping up with 10 to 15 round mags is excellent for teaching you to speed load a revolver under pressure lol.)

Anyway, when I took a photo for this site -- I realized that while my gun is nearly new, it already looks beat up and unloved. Kind of like a luxury SUV someone look off-roading in the brush. Proper use, but still gets dirty looks from the other SUV owners lol. For the record, my SUV and my SP101 are both going to have active lives :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I recommend cleaning your after every trip to the range. Search you tube for videos on how to clean your gun.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Get a brass brush for .40 caliber and use it to clean the cylinder chambers, but do not use it in the barrel or you'll destroy the brush very quickly. After each range visit, run a patch soaked in your gun cleaning solvent through all 5 chambers, let it sit for 5-10 min then run the brush through each chamber a few times (4-5). You can see the rings when you look into the chambers so you'll know if the brushing removed them. Next, run dry patches until they come out clean. Do not let the carbon rings dry and bake-in by letting them sit there for weeks and through multiple range visits.

While you are doing it you may as well clean the barrel, the forcing cone and frame. In other words - Clean you gun each time after it was used.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts