Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well I finally picked up a Gunsite Scout. Sweet little gun. Here's a pick with my 77/44 for comparison. Not sure if I'll scope it or not. I may swap the scope off the 77/44. Anyway, looking forward to shooting it.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Nice. I really like MY GSR!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Nice. I find mine can do just about everything well. My heavy barrel Remington 700 in .308 is a bit more accurate, but only with Sierra Matchking handloads, and it is a lot heavier and longer rifle. My GSR is much less finicky about loads, and handy enough that I actually want to take it into the field.
Try the new Magpul AICS mags, they are a better fit in the GSR ( less wobbling around) than the Ruger Polymer ones, and don't let the rounds pop out on their own if you leave them loaded a while.
I might also urge you get a Ching sling, either from Andy's Leather or the Galco safari Ching sling. Sure makes unsupported shooting a lot more steady and accurate.
The forward mounted scope isn't for everyone, but try one if you get a chance. There are about a half dozen advantages to the Scout scope set up, Col. Cooper knew his stuff well.
I have a Scout scope out on a barrel rail on my GSR, and also a Mini-14 set up that way. I like them so much, I now find it hard to use a conventional scope right up against my face.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I was considering a conventional scope. My buddy has one on his and I really like the set up. This is his. I like his setup, but preferred the synthetic stock

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Swapped the Leupold to the scout. I think it looks great. Can't wait to eight it in!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine and my buddy's are both in .308. I saw one in .223 but I wanted to be able to hunt deer with it. I seriously can't wait to shoot it.

Another quick pic

·
Registered
917 Posts
Wow OP. Now that's a rifle to be proud of! ;)

·
Registered
748 Posts
I love my GSRs. I think Ruger needs to expand the offerings in the synthetic stock. I think they will sell even more of the 18.7" barreled 308s and the 223/556 if they dropped them into the pound lighter weatherproof stock.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I really like the way it looks and feels. Hoping to sight it in next weekend. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love the Scout

As soon as I put my hands on mine, I knew that it would be bumping other rifles aside in my safe. I actually sold off 2 other rifles to fund my build but I have truly ended up with one rifle that does just about everything I want it to do. Well done Ruger with this one!

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have to save that picture to view it. Please walk us through your build and thought process on your custom GSR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to save that picture to view it. Please walk us through your build and thought process on your custom GSR.
McMillan M40 stock (a little longer fore-grip for about the same weight as the laminate)
Quick detach sling cups on both sides as I'm an ambi-shooter and I prefer to sling cross body.
Witt Machine MRE compensator which is so good that my 11 year old daughter can shoot it with a smile and it gives faster follow-ups.
Spec-Tech trigger is a little lighter and a little crisper...I love it.
XS rail which allows for any just about any optic while maintaining back up irons.
Vortex 2.5-10x32mm scope on QD mounts.
Homemade Rhodesian style synthetic sling for off-hand stability.

I wanted one rifle that would be at home in just about any situation. (survival rifle) I think I've found that in this combination and to me, it's kind of a jack of all trades that's not just another AR.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I wanted one rifle that would be at home in just about any situation. (survival rifle) I think I've found that in this combination and to me, it's kind of a jack of all trades that's not just another AR.
How I feel as well. Good combination of power, accuracy and portability. I have been using mine more and more during hunting season, my other rifles just sit in the safe.
I have close to 500 rounds loaded of my general purpose round ( Hornady 168 grain A-Max loaded to 2550 fps. in new Federal 7.62 NATO brass) and when spring arrives, will be practicing at various ranges. Snap shots at close range, and shooting steel at 200 to 500 yards, from sitting, standing kneeling and prone using the Ching sling.
The Gunsite Scout is what I would grab if I had to head into the hills.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts