Ruger Forum banner

new Gunsite scout....

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Gregg18C 
#1 ·

Well I finally picked up a Gunsite Scout. Sweet little gun. Here's a pick with my 77/44 for comparison. Not sure if I'll scope it or not. I may swap the scope off the 77/44. Anyway, looking forward to shooting it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice. I find mine can do just about everything well. My heavy barrel Remington 700 in .308 is a bit more accurate, but only with Sierra Matchking handloads, and it is a lot heavier and longer rifle. My GSR is much less finicky about loads, and handy enough that I actually want to take it into the field.
Try the new Magpul AICS mags, they are a better fit in the GSR ( less wobbling around) than the Ruger Polymer ones, and don't let the rounds pop out on their own if you leave them loaded a while.
I might also urge you get a Ching sling, either from Andy's Leather or the Galco safari Ching sling. Sure makes unsupported shooting a lot more steady and accurate.
The forward mounted scope isn't for everyone, but try one if you get a chance. There are about a half dozen advantages to the Scout scope set up, Col. Cooper knew his stuff well.
I have a Scout scope out on a barrel rail on my GSR, and also a Mini-14 set up that way. I like them so much, I now find it hard to use a conventional scope right up against my face.

#14 ·
Love the Scout

As soon as I put my hands on mine, I knew that it would be bumping other rifles aside in my safe. I actually sold off 2 other rifles to fund my build but I have truly ended up with one rifle that does just about everything I want it to do. Well done Ruger with this one!

Attachments

#17 ·
McMillan M40 stock (a little longer fore-grip for about the same weight as the laminate)
Quick detach sling cups on both sides as I'm an ambi-shooter and I prefer to sling cross body.
Witt Machine MRE compensator which is so good that my 11 year old daughter can shoot it with a smile and it gives faster follow-ups.
Spec-Tech trigger is a little lighter and a little crisper...I love it.
XS rail which allows for any just about any optic while maintaining back up irons.
Vortex 2.5-10x32mm scope on QD mounts.
Homemade Rhodesian style synthetic sling for off-hand stability.

I wanted one rifle that would be at home in just about any situation. (survival rifle) I think I've found that in this combination and to me, it's kind of a jack of all trades that's not just another AR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.