Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked it up, looks well made, have a Leatherwood 2x7 scout scope on order, can't wait to get it to the range. Gonna try different types of ammo, including some Wolf steel case,see how it shoots , will report back.

· Registered
5,337 Posts
Congrats! The RGSR is my next purchase!

· Registered
285 Posts
That one is on my want list. Give us a full range report after you take it out!

· Registered
111 Posts
I have had my LH Scout for about 6 months now and it has replaced just about all my other rifles, including my AR. I bought a nice scope, but ended up shooting it before the scope came in and I've decided not to put the scope on yet. It is fun to shoot without the scope. I took a nice 8 point at 75 yards this season and didn't miss a scope at all. Course if the buck would have been at 150 yards it would be a different story.
+1 with Mark above reference to ammo for accuracy. However i utilized Horady for hunting this season and will probably continue due to the Scout's shorter barrel.

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Gsr

New to this forum. Got my LH Scout a couple months ago. I also went with the Leatherwood Hi-Lux 2-7x. Scope is bright and clear, happy with it so far. Worked up a load with the Hornady 165 gr. SST, W-W brass (necked sized), W-W primers, and 41.2 grs, of H4895, which gives 2500 fps out of the Scouts 16" tube. Sighted in at 200 yards. Groups at that range are 2 1/4". Also recently picked up a P345, so I'm really liking this forum!

· Registered
3,761 Posts
I have had my LH Scout for about 6 months now and it has replaced just about all my other rifles, including my AR...

That's pretty much the Scout Rifle concept: all-around rifle. I think the .308 round has more utility than the .223. If I didn't already have a built-up Remmy Model Seven 7mm08, I'd get a Ruger GSR. But I have two friends with GSRs that I can shoot, if I want...

· Registered
609 Posts
I have dozens of center fire pistols. I have multiple .22 pistols and rifles (though their all Rugers). I have several shotguns.

I have two rifles. One is an AK I bought 20 years ago just to have one, and the GSR.

I feel covered in that department.

I would have never thought one rifle would do it for me, but the GSR does. It's fun at the range, handy to have around and toss in the car when I think it might be useful. It is accurate with a 4-12x42 Nikon Monarch scope, and it has proven itself a very capable deer hunting tool that is convenient to carry through thick woods and brush.

· Registered
1 Posts
Ring mounts for 4-12x42 Nikon Monarch scope?

I have dozens of center fire pistols. I have multiple .22 pistols and rifles (though their all Rugers). I have several shotguns.

I have two rifles. One is an AK I bought 20 years ago just to have one, and the GSR.

I feel covered in that department.

I would have never thought one rifle would do it for me, but the GSR does. It's fun at the range, handy to have around and toss in the car when I think it might be useful. It is accurate with a 4-12x42 Nikon Monarch scope, and it has proven itself a very capable deer hunting tool that is convenient to carry through thick woods and brush.
Hello Yetiman,
I just purchased the Scout Gunsite and I have been searching for a scope online while waiting for the 10 day CA waiting period to end. Couple of questions I hope you have time to answer.
1) How did you mount the scope? Meaning which ring set did you use?
2) The Scout is planned for an LER (Long eye relief) setup. Did the Nikon have issues with blocking the bolt action? I'm not sure I'll be a fan of having a low power scope mounted so far forward and with my aging eyes I feel a higher power with larger field of view would be better.

Thanks,
Charlie

· Registered
322 Posts
Hello Yetiman,
I just purchased the Scout Gunsite and I have been searching for a scope online while waiting for the 10 day CA waiting period to end. Couple of questions I hope you have time to answer.
2) The Scout is planned for an LER (Long eye relief) setup. Did the Nikon have issues with blocking the bolt action? I'm not sure I'll be a fan of having a low power scope mounted so far forward and with my aging eyes I feel a higher power with larger field of view would be better.

Thanks,
Charlie
I have QR rings on my GSR and like them. My scope is a Leupold scout scope so is low power. Leupold makes a variable scout scope I believe though if that is what you like.

Good luck in your search.

· Registered
609 Posts
Hello Yetiman,

Thanks,
Charlie
I used the rings supplied with the rifle from Ruger and removed the forward mounted scope rail. I was able to get filler screws from Ruger to put in the holes in the top of the barrel.

I like the traditional scope setup, but mostly haven't allocated the cash for a forward mounted scope as I am pretty comfortable with the way it is set up now.
The Nikon scope does not interfere with the bolt operation at all, though It is a close fit (like on most bolt action rifles).

A close friend of mine who I go deer hunting with scoffed at the rifle last year for the box magazine, short barrel and flash hider (which I have since removed).
This weekend he had to borrow it, and shot a nice buck with it, and he now is raving about how light and handy it is, what a great trigger it has (a Timney set at two and a half pounds) and what a great shooter it is. Just two hours ago he was asking me what I want for it, or where he can get one.

-Yetiman- (also Charlie)

· Registered
2,760 Posts
People either love the scout rifle concept or hate it. Most of the people who hate it have never shot one or even held one. Once they get "educated" they are converts. To be a true scout rifle " a la Cooper" it needs to have a forward mounted optic though. It's easier to wrap your hand around the rifle to carry it, nothing mounted over the action makes it easier to clean, clear a jam, or top load/top off the polymer magazines, and you don't have the "tunnel vision" that you have when a conventional mounted scope is right up next to your eye. You can work the bolt fast without having your thumb pinched between the bolt handle and your scope eyepiece, and if your scout scope isn't to big and you use low(Q.D.) rings, you can mount the scope a bit lower than over the action. And you don't have to remove that nice Ruger peep to mount your scope, and can leave it on and zeroed. I could probably think of a few more advantages to the forward mounted optic, but have rambled on long enough.

· Registered
272 Posts
People either love the scout rifle concept or hate it. Most of the people who hate it have never shot one or even held one. Once they get "educated" they are converts. To be a true scout rifle " a la Cooper" it needs to have a forward mounted optic though. It's easier to wrap your hand around the rifle to carry it, nothing mounted over the action makes it easier to clean, clear a jam, or top load/top off the polymer magazines, and you don't have the "tunnel vision" that you have when a conventional mounted scope is right up next to your eye. You can work the bolt fast without having your thumb pinched between the bolt handle and your scope eyepiece, and if your scout scope isn't to big and you use low(Q.D.) rings, you can mount the scope a bit lower than over the action. And you don't have to remove that nice Ruger peep to mount your scope, and can leave it on and zeroed. I could probably think of a few more advantages to the forward mounted optic, but have rambled on long enough.
I remember that I started a thread asking about the GSR on another gun forum, and yes, my experience was what you described: people either love it, or are highly disdainful of it. People who actually owned one or shot one generally had very positive things to say about it, from the build quality, to the handiness, to the nifty stock spacers to adjust LOP, to it's surprising accuracy, to the nice peep sights, etc. Nits that were picked were regarding the weird stock color (some would have preferred a synthetic, others a more traditional brownish wooden or laminate stock), others weren't enamored of the ugly barrel device (but I believe it's threaded and removable, no?) and that the peep sight, while a nice touch on a bolt rifle, wasn't click adjustable like on a Garand or M1A.

Those that hated the whole concept and pooh-poohed the rifle were usually those that never shot or even held one, or who just didn't feel like it offered enough value compared to similar lightweight or compact bolt rifles.

My conclusion? I felt that I still wanted one, and certainly have a long-term goal of one day owning one (will have to sell some other stuff off first, though), but would like Ruger to offer them in perhaps a synthetic stock (which will probably make it less expensive), make the rear peep sight an adjustable one, and make the magazine top-loading via stripper clip, like a WW2-vintage military bolt rifle. After all, if the scout rifle is supposed to be a true all-around rifle, and thus serve as a combat arm in a pinch, then making quick reloading should be an important consideration.

· needs more ammo
1,093 Posts
and make the magazine top-loading via stripper clip, like a WW2-vintage military bolt rifle. After all, if the scout rifle is supposed to be a true all-around rifle, and thus serve as a combat arm in a pinch, then making quick reloading should be an important consideration.
But, but, but, it has a detachable magazine! Pop in a fresh mag from your ammo pack and it's ready. Much better IMO than a stripper clip that might drop a round when pulled from an ammo pouch. :D

· Registered
609 Posts
I would agree that I much prefer the box mag to a stripper clip setup, and the pol;y mags can be loaded through the top.

My biggest issues with mine were that I want the bolt to operate as smooth as my Remington 700, and I didn't care for the flash hider which I removed and replaced with a thread protector.

I put in a Timney trigger as icing on the cake.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
I have owned and used a variety of 30-06's and 308's over the years... Browning Lever guns, Win Model 88 and 100, a Sporterized '03, and now a Ruger 77 MKll in 338 win mag. Of all, the Ruger GSR is my favorite all around hunting (outside of Indiana) rifle. I have taken several Hogs, two white-tail deer and a whole bunch of little critters that made the mistake of getting into our garden. Plus It is an easy gun to tote-around, I did remove the bipod and use only 5 or 6 rounds in each mag to reduce weight a bit more.
Here's the grandson with my GSR after shooting his hog last summer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.