Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Ruger American pistol about a month ago and I couldn't be happier with my purchase! This is the first 9mm I've ever owned and I must say that I'm very impressed. It's the most accurate pistol as well. My only complaint is Ruger's choice of using a Torx screw on the interchangeable backstrap instead of a Allen wrench. The Torx wrench doesn't seat in the screw as well as an Allen wrench does. It feels like it slips out of the socket when it didn't. Well, me being the heavy-handed schlub that I am, I turned the Torx wrench until it felt like it had seated into the screw head, and I proceeded to turn it 1/4 turn counter clockwise as per the manual, and snapped off the tip of the Torx wrench which NOW decided to stick in the backstrap. All that caused a panicky phone call to the gun shop where I purchased it and was told to bring it in and the Gunsmith would have a look at it. In the end, the Gunsmith removed the stuck tip and explained what happened and that I'm not really a dummy, I'm just unfamiliar with Torx wrenches. They really do feel like a Phillips head screwdriver that's slipped out of the slots. Other than that one issue, I love this gun. I've taken it to the range and tried all three backstraps. They all felt good, but the large one fits me best. Which is strange because I don't have huge hands, the large grips just puts my trigger finger exactly in the right spot and gives my support hand enough room for a positive palm weld. Great job, Ruger!

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Central PA.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Welcome from NW Georgia.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey. my youngest daughter and son in law and 2 grandchildren live in Lynchburg where my son in law is a professor at Liberty University.

·
Registered
17,084 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin