Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from Knoxville, TN. After researching and shooting several pistols (Glock, Kahr, Kimber 1911 -$$$, and the SR9c) I laid down my money today on the SR9c.

(I also own a Pardner Pump Protector 12 guage.)

Haven't fired the Ruger yet; but have stripped it, wiped it down, cleaned the striker / track, and reassembled. All thanks to Youtube vids.

One question, if I may. After the gun is back together, and the slide has been racked... Should I go ahead and dry fire it to release the trigger tension, or just leave it alone? I haven't yet picked up any snap caps. I see Hickock dry fire all the time after he has racked the slide, but lots of people say it's bad for the gun.

Thanks, and I look forward to lots of education from you guys here.

Oh, one more thing. Am I a total newbie for liking the speed loader for the magazines? :confused:

Here's my Ruger. My heart wanted the all black, but I didn't want to wait for them to order it. The stainless is growing on me.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Welcome from Colorado. I don't have an answer to your question but asan opinion I would always recommend snap caps even if the manual says its ok to dry fire. Couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from Colorado. I don't have an answer to your question but asan opinion I would always recommend snap caps even if the manual says its ok to dry fire. Couldn't hurt.
Thanks. Man, the 9mm are SO much more expensive the 12 guages I bought :eek:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sincerely appreciate the welcome, everyone.

It's a small thing, but taking the time to stop by and welcome me is really nice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just read in the owner's manual that it CAN be dry fired without damage as long as an empty magazine is in. Don't know how I missed that when I first read the manual.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
it can be dry fired. check out the ruger website. it CAN be dry fired, but there's not necessarily any good reason to-- ruger website says when reassembling, to put an empty mag in, drop it back out, and rack the slide a few times (at least that's what it says for the P95. i assume it says about the same for the sr9). no, i don't think you're a wimp for liking the speed loader-- honestly, it's hard as hell for me to load without it and it's not like i have weak hands or anything, even when your mags are broken in a little. welcome to the forum, and enjoy your ruger!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly, if you dry fire and you break the firing pin on any firearm, it was going to break anyway. Don't make it a habit, but every now and then when reassembling is ok. Snap caps are a great tool if you plan on dry firing often to practice drawing your weapon and "shooting".

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Welcome from southern OK. Enjoy. It's a great place to hang out.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome from Maine. I've resisted the instant gratification and left the stainless model SR9c in the cabinet at my LGS for someone else to buy while they order a black one for me. Carrying my LC9, which I want the new SR9c to match, in the mean time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.