Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad I finally joined. I've been a multiple Ruger owner since 1980. So the question I have today is this. I have been thinking about getting a SP101 357 in either a 2 25" or 3" barrel or LCR 357 to carry. But I'm more concerned about accuracy rather than weight. What are some thoughts? I have carried the LCP good to conceal but I was not accurate enough with it.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
What is your prior experience w/ revolvers? Some people are awesome w/ revolvers, some people are horrible. My wife can stack rounds on top of each other w/ a Beretta M9, but has a hard time getting on paper w/ a revolver. Other people are the opposite. What part of Ohio are you in? There's a lot of us Buckeye's here w/ SP101's who would probably meet you at a range. :) Welcome. Stay dry!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Dakota. The 2 1/4" SP101 is inherently just as accurate as the 3" out to approx. 25 yards, where the shorter barrel may produce some key-holing( and this is true of any revolver ). The difference is in ease of shooting the 3" barrel; longer sight radius, a little more weight, a little less felt recoil.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Welcome from the Central Coast of California.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is your prior experience w/ revolvers? Some people are awesome w/ revolvers, some people are horrible. My wife can stack rounds on top of each other w/ a Beretta M9, but has a hard time getting on paper w/ a revolver. Other people are the opposite. What part of Ohio are you in? There's a lot of us Buckeye's here w/ SP101's who would probably meet you at a range. :) Welcome. Stay dry!
I've Owned mostly Revolvers starting with a Security Six 6" 357 back in 1980. I've had Gp100's and now I have basically 3 Single actions from 22-44. I have had auto's also With my current carry SR9C that I'm pretty decent with. And I live about 25 miles SE of Findlay Ohio.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum from North Dakota. The 2 1/4" SP101 is inherently just as accurate as the 3" out to approx. 25 yards, where the shorter barrel may produce some key-holing( and this is true of any revolver ). The difference is in ease of shooting the 3" barrel; longer sight radius, a little more weight, a little less felt recoil.
Thanks for the info. The only issue I have is coming up with a 3". I sure would like to try the LCR but if shoots anything like a S&W Bodyguard 38sp that I had I am sure I would not want it. That's why I am thinking about the SP101

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, thanks for info all. I'm going looking tomorrow and probably Saturday at a gun show. Maybe I can find a good used one or two. Maybe one of each.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hello from Mo. Bro (oooh, that was bad.)
Think about the SP101 DAO. No hammer to snag clothing. Just draw, point and shoot. Best CCW close up and personal gun I have.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have carried the SP101 2.25 in. and LCR357 and both are great to CC, the LCR being noticeably easier to carry because it is super light. Both are accurate at self defense range, the Sp101 has the advantage of shooting single action but the LCR has a really great double action trigger and is designed to really handle recoil well. The Sp101 handles 357 mag. heave loads really well but the LCR is quite abusive with those heavy loads, i generally use .38 spl. +P with the LCR, the super loud muzzle blast is a big issue with either gun with Magnum loads. I use the CT laser grips with both pistols and highly recommend them with either. Whichever one you choose will be good, they are both solid and accurate, If CC only i would choose LCR but if for range use and weight is not an issue i would choose the SP101. You might also consider the LC9 they are easier and more pleasant to shoot than LCP but not much larger.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Some people claim to comfortably carry an SP101 in the pocket. I know I couldn't. If pocket carry isn't an issue, then I'd go with the SP w/3 inch. You might want to add the SP101 .22 for cheap practice. (I did.) If I owned an LCR in .357, I'd also own the .22 version. If you want to be good, there's nothing like lots and lots of practice. Either of your two choices are plenty accurate.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Welcome to RF.net...from NE Indiana!

I would highly recommend a 3" SP101 in .357 mag...you can't go wrong with it! It's accurate, fairly easy to shoot, rides comfortably enough, and is extremely reliable.

I had an LCR in .38+P...and finally sold it and kept the SP101!

The SP101 has a variety of grips from Hogue, Badger Custom, Uncle Mikes, etc...to choose from!

You can find Tritium front sights from Meprolight, Trijicon, and (my favorite) XS Sights!

Holsters...Bianchi (my favorite), DeSantis, Galco, etc...take your pick!

It's a great little revolver...I've had mine since December 1994...and, even though I have Gen II Glock 23...it's often my 'go to' CCW gun!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.