Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello eveyone - first AR, first post, first problem... hope someone can shed a little light on it for me.

Pick-up the SR-556E a few weeks ago and got right to the mod's, was having trouble accessing the charging handle with the scope mount I had, so I changed that out to an extended handle from the local gun shop (can't recall the brand, but it was expensive, $65, but very nice quality and function is excellent). Took it out and shot a few hundred rounds. Added the Geissele S3G trigger, what can I say that hasn't already been said around here, great trigger. Took it out again and shot a few hundred rounds. While I was out shooting this last time, my buddy pointed out to me that I shouldn't actually need to charge the rifle each magazine I insert... Up to this point (and again, first AR, so I am a true beginner) I had been pulling the charging handle back and depressing the bolt catch plunger each time I loaded up a magazine. I now know that the BCG is supposed to stay in the open position once the final round in the magazine has been fired so all you need to do is hit the paddle after you load subsequent mag's.

Called Rugers support line, explained the issue, the woman was helpful, but not incredibly knowledgable... she too had to confirm that the BCG was to remain open after firing the final round, and since mine was not, she gave me a service request # and told me to send the riffle in. I am hoping to avoid sending it back in, 2 reasons, don't want to be without the weapon for 6-8 weeks and don't want to uninstall the new trigger and try to figure out how to put the factory trigger back in. So, kudo's to Ruger for wanting to fix this issue at the factory - however, if this sounds like a simple issue to you guys and you can point me to a spring or clip somewhere, I hope to learn how to work on my own guns and not rely on the service department.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer the "new guy"

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
It is usually a magazine issue if the bolt isn't staying back after the last round. If Ruger says to ship it in, I'd do it. That way if it isn't magazine related, they can repair or replace the rifle. I doubt Ruger will have your rifle more than 2-3 weeks.

Good luck !

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
welcome to the forum! hopefully, it will be sorted out as easily as kingpins9 and therealmfngrinch stated. ruger does have a great customer service reputation to uphold. if one rep doesn't do it for you, call back and see if the next one seems more knowledgeable. good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Any or all mags have the same result?

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle. Did this problem occur in the stock configuration?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses, with all that in mind I field stripped the weapon and I think I have come up with a few conclussions...

1) when I compare my bolt catch to the bolt catch pictured in the user manual (figure 25, page 27), the tab that extends out to interact the magazine insert on my bolt catch is much smaller and does not contact with the magazine insert (either with the included PMAG or my Lancer mags)

2) when field stripping the weapon for the first time, I stripped the bolt down and discovered that the extractor spring was not installed at the factory :mad: ... no idea if that has any relationship to my BCG not retaining the open position when the magazine is empty, but interesting enough to mention here.

again, thank you for all your help --

1 - 7 of 7 Posts