Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came in to some money and want to buy the perfect handgun. Price range is up to 800.
I don't believe that price is always a sign of quality, or that an entire line from a reputable company is always up to par with the rest of their eputation.
The new handgun may replace my P95 as my CCW, will definately be used at the range, home defense and possibly be the star piece of my growing collection.
I am at a wall when I look at all the choices available.
It would help if someone could provide a link or describe the physical reasons that make H&K and Sig so expensive. Is it the finish they apply, the fit of the individual pieces, tighter quality control than other brands? I have heard a lot of good things about H&K, I have heard good and bad things with Sigs, sounds like they are either incredibly reliable and accurate or suffer from poor quality control and have issues over the years with their finishes and how if the gun isn't wet it jams up which makes me question their prices over other handguns that offer better consistancy in QC.

In short there is a lot of personal preferences floating around as to why brand (a) is better than brand (b) but no real data to show why one gun is more accurate (at ransom rest, since grip prefrences affect people), best fit and finish, material in terms of applied (consistent thickness, least amount of imperfecions) and what it best holds up against to (corrosion, holster wear, drops).
I feel these are the main differences and what seperates most handguns from the rest. Rugers, CZ, Beretta, Glock, Sig, H&K, SA, S&W, etc, etc... All produce reliable, combat accurate, durable handguns. So looks and ergonomics aside what are the best series of handguns out there based on Consistent Quality Control, Accuracy, Finish quality, Customer service and parts availabilty?
If it matters I am looking at 9mm and .40S&W, possibly .45ACP.

In the end I will choose the gun that fits me best! The knowledge I Gain from this thread will help me narrow my choices since I Know I will have a hard time choosing just one new handgun.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Looks to me that you're a pistoleer as opposed to a revolver person. Therefore unless I'm wrong in my supposition I would be less than helpful to you if I had the termity to suggest anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Perfect Handgun, or Searching for the Holy Grail.

Here are some of my free suggestions.

1. Pick a caliber. This could take some time.
2. Using any method you choose, decide on revolver or autoloader. When in doubt, flip a coin.
3. Blue, alloy or stainless? Take your time...
4. Oh, and if you chose a wheel gun, you now get to select a barrel length.
5. Trundle off to the Toy Store, find your selection and tell them t wrap it up.

Do not give in to the Dark Side. Do not look at, or handle, any other guns, or you will find yourself right back at #1.

I hope this helps...
:D

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
The "perfect" handgun huh? I own a safe full of perfect handguns chambered in many different cartridges. Some are revolvers, some are auto loaders. Lots of different barrel lengths, sights, grips, single action, double action, etc. All are "perfect" for their intended job. Cost range is from $300 to $1600.

You need to look at guns just like you do with tools .... "the right tool for the right job". To compound things, all ammunition is "perfect" when used in the right application.

No handgun collection is complete without at least a centerfire single action revolver and a centerfire double action revolver. You also need a single action 1911 type pistol as well as a SA/DA pistol and a striker pistol. The list also includes 22 rimfires in all the above.

Why are SIGs and H&Ks so expensive? For one, they are foreign made so we have to pay import taxes. Eastern Europe cost of living and salaries are much higher than most US cities so we pay more for labor and overhead. They are both very high quality pieces with excellent designs and quality control. Are they worth the extra bucks? Well, sometime the cost will fool you.

I do not own a H&K but I do own a SIG P-220 (45 ACP). The SIG is an engineering marvel. A very easy gun to operate yet very accurate and totally reliable. I bought the P-220 as a factory reconditioned gun. It looks and works like new yet cost less than a near identical profile Ruger P-345.

Spend your money wisely and don't ever expect one single gun to be a "perfect, do it all" gun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definately want a revolver eventually.
For now I'm set on a semi, I'm impolsive though so if I see a nice deal on a 3"to 4" SP101 or GP101 or S&W 686 in .357 it may go home with me.
I am basically looking for my own little holy grail in a semi auto. I want something of a show piece quality, not sure if i want something like a Browning Hi Power with a high polish blue or something of a tactical show piece like a H&K P2000.
Whatever it is I want the knowledge to at the least rule out some guns that don't offer anything more than a gun that cost $200 to $300 less.

Thanks for all the good advice
Guess my next purchase will be tough.
Also looks like I will have a never ending collection and each new gun will only keep me happy untill I buy a new one.
Yep, sounds like an addiction to me.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
best of luck!
it is a never ending hunt.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In my opinion, except for something lighter or more compact, you are going to have a hard time finding a better self-defense semi than a P95. In terms of reliability, which to me is the single most important aspect. Capacity is not an issue at 15+1. Weight is reasonable at 27oz. If anything, it is a little big compared to some other carry handguns. It's certainly accurate enough for self-defense purposes.

I sometimes prefer something smaller and lighter, so my carry rotation is as follows:

- Bersa UC9 (9mm)
- Ruger P95DC (9mm)
- Bersa T380CC (.380 Auto)

I just bought an SR9 on Friday, and I am loving it after two range trips and 250 rounds, so I'm sure that is going to make it into the rotation soon.

Good luck in your search. Do whatever works best for you. My advice is forget about a showpiece for self-defense! Pick the one that you trust your life to - whether it's 'sexy' or 'high tech' or 'cool' or 'sharp looking' means nothing when your life is on the line.

If you want a showpiece, keep it under glass or in the gun safe and bring it out to let people 'ooo and ahh' over it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If I had up to $800 to spend on a semi-auto, with the possibility of having it be a carry piece, I'd probably be steering in the direction of a Commander length 1911. Always kinda wanted one of those.

I just don't see the added price justification for a HK, or Sig over say a Glock. Throwing out an extra couple hundred bux isn't going to give you a perfect target every time.

In the case of the extra that a 1911 costs, I can see the justification for all the added machining and fitting that type of gun requires.

Your decision will of course depend on different factors than mine, or anyone else's for that matter. What have you always wanted? What caliber do you want? Is weight an issue? Thickness? Recoil? Element resistance? Any chance of using it competitively? Lots of things to consider...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will say the most depengable woulbe Glock and the most notorious reliability for Colt. My Ruger p89 was very used and bought for $350 and has never jammed. Glock is only about $400 used and Ruger about the same around here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all the good advice giving. It helped narrow down my list and shed some light on the differences between various makers and there different models.
I have to thank the owner of American Sport Shooting in PA, he patiently let me handle a wide selection of handguns and was knowledgeable and honest.
I purchased a Glock 19 and I am rather impressed with it. Price was $485 which is close to or better than what I have seen online and much lower than the prices I've seen in Cabelas and a few other local stores. Picked up some ammo too and will be back this weekend most likely to grab some more ammo and maybe a holster.
Haven't had a chance to go to the range yet. Should have time to go this weekend.

Wow the weekend is soooo far away.:(

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Congrats on a new weapon!
As i previously said however, it seems to be a never ending quest.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

Congrats on a new weapon!
As i previously said however, it seems to be a never ending quest.
Thank you!
And your right, it is a never ending quest. Now I am saving up for either a revolver or a AR15. Probably will grab an AR first, hopefully they won't be banned by the time I have all my pennies saved up.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Congrats on the Glock. Fine weapon. The only thing I would like to say about the Sig is that I have had 2 in my life...a P230 that I still have, and a P226 that I sold (like an idiot). I shot IPSC with the 226 in minor caliber (9mm). I had the slide hard chromed and had a gunsmith at Sig in NJ. do a trigger job on it. That 226 was the best shooting pistol I have ever owned or shot. I would put 1000 rnds/week through it during the summers, and 200 rds/week during the winter, and had no failures. Always placed either 1st or 2nd in class. Wish I would have never gotten rid of it...but, it did go to my best friend.....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Smith made a .44 Mag(read Spl.) SS 3" iron sights model with a round butt...used, it ought to bring about $800---that's my idea of the ultimate CCW revolver.....in autos, the KP90DC---tough, reliable, accurate, cheap ammo....can't be beat for CCW or plinking-some may say it's target quality for competition but I don't know ....I'm happy with mine...I like my cartridges like I am...old and heavy and slow;)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Best wishes with your new handgun. Just referring you back to Iowegans post. You're going to want/need more. Just too hard to find one "DO IT ALL" handgun/caliber.

I guess that's why we have so many.... :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like my Kahr CW9

I have a SP101, A GP100, a S&W 638 and my new gun is a Kahr CW9. I was carrying the SP101 in my front pocket and the short story is I now have a Kahr CW9. I really like the CW9 for pocket carry. I also carry it IWB. It's not as powerful as a .357 but has more than a .38 Special, 325 to 400 ft. lbs depending on who you believe. 9 mm practice ammo is really cheap. It is also made on the same frame as a CW40 in S&W 40 which comes closer to a .357 in power. It is DAO and is supposed to have a 7 pound trigger. However mine has the lightest 7 pound trigger ever made (seems more like 4 to 5 pounds)

My son who was using a Glock 30 IWB and a S&W 638 in the front pocket like the Kahr so much that he bought a CW9 also.

Two years from now I might feel differently about the Kahr but right now I like it for pocket carry. Kahr also makes smaller pistols, the MK and PM series.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just came in to some money and want to buy the perfect handgun. Price range is up to 800.
I don't believe that price is always a sign of quality, or that an entire line from a reputable company is always up to par with the rest of their eputation.
The new handgun may replace my P95 as my CCW, will definately be used at the range, home defense and possibly be the star piece of my growing collection.
I am at a wall when I look at all the choices available.
It would help if someone could provide a link or describe the physical reasons that make H&K and Sig so expensive. Is it the finish they apply, the fit of the individual pieces, tighter quality control than other brands? I have heard a lot of good things about H&K, I have heard good and bad things with Sigs, sounds like they are either incredibly reliable and accurate or suffer from poor quality control and have issues over the years with their finishes and how if the gun isn't wet it jams up which makes me question their prices over other handguns that offer better consistancy in QC.

In short there is a lot of personal preferences floating around as to why brand (a) is better than brand (b) but no real data to show why one gun is more accurate (at ransom rest, since grip prefrences affect people), best fit and finish, material in terms of applied (consistent thickness, least amount of imperfecions) and what it best holds up against to (corrosion, holster wear, drops).
I feel these are the main differences and what seperates most handguns from the rest. Rugers, CZ, Beretta, Glock, Sig, H&K, SA, S&W, etc, etc... All produce reliable, combat accurate, durable handguns. So looks and ergonomics aside what are the best series of handguns out there based on Consistent Quality Control, Accuracy, Finish quality, Customer service and parts availabilty?
If it matters I am looking at 9mm and .40S&W, possibly .45ACP.

In the end I will choose the gun that fits me best! The knowledge I Gain from this thread will help me narrow my choices since I Know I will have a hard time choosing just one new handgun.[/QUOTE The HKs, based on my reading, use a modern heavy duty finish.... it might involve a carburization (spelling?) process. It is not the Glock tennifer finish though...which is an EXCELLENT finish. Don't know about Sig. WATCH OUT FOR FINISHES THAT ARE NOTHING MORE THAN GLORIFIED POWDERCOAT/HEAT CURED EPOXY PAINT OR PARKERIZING UNDER ANOTHER NAME. Parkerizing is OK ....just don't get ripped off paying high bucks for an OLD FASHIONED FINISH. I really liked the Beretta PX4 Storm......but the finish was basically glorified powdercoat/epoxy paint and I would not pay their price for a gun with that finish. SEE WHY SO MANY OF US LOVE STAINLESS STEEL?.....IT'S GREAT. IMO STAINLESS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. OBVIOUSLY this is a Ruger site so there is positive bias here. IMO , for the money, Ruger durability, reliability, service accuracy can't be beaten......if you want a reliable tool that'll do the job......Rugers are hard to beat. I've owned/collected them for 32 years so I've got lots of hands-on experience. BUT....one of the very best, if not THE BEST 9s ....is the Glock.....and it has the tennifer finish.....a big plus IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts