Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old model (3 screw) Single Six 22 mag. I looked up the serial # and it's from 1967. Did this originally come with a 22lr cylinder as well? And if it did, where can I purchase a 22lr cylinder for it?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Josh, there's a good chance it did leave the factory as a convertible with both cylinders, they shared serial number blocks with the regular Single-Sixes. You will pay more and find fewer of the .22LR than the .22WMR cylinders due to most of the LR cylinders tended to stay with the Single-Sixes. You can find them on Ebay but they may need to be fitted to your revolver.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,321 Posts
Josh321, Look at the roll mark on the left side of the frame, just below the cylinder. If it says "RUGER SINGLE-SIX WIN .22 RF MAG CAL" it was shipped with just a magnum cylinder. If the roll mark says "RUGER .22 CAL. SINGLE-SIX" then it could have been shipped as a convertible with both cylinders. As noted above, 22 LR only, 22 Mag only, and Convertibles were all in the same serial number sequence so other than finding out when the gun was made, it won't determine which model you have.

Reactions: ATP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. It has Ruger .22Cal. Single Six on the frame making me believe it very well could have been a convertible. I bought it used and it only came with the mag cylinder. It would be nice to have the LR as well. I'll check ebay now and again for one. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Is it possible to contact where you purchased the revolver from and see if they have or can track down the .22lr cylinder from the previous owner?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible to contact where you purchased the revolver from and see if they have or can track down the .22lr cylinder from the previous owner?
The guy I bought it from has had it for years and is not the original owner. He told me it only came with one cylinder, the mag.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You already have the experts helping you out, but welcome to the forum. These guys know as much about Rugers as Ruger does, maybe more ! :)

Reactions: Josh321

·
Registered
677 Posts
Keep in mind when looking for the 22 long rifle cylinder, use the over all measurement (from front to rear,gas seal stem and the ratchets included) of the mag cylinder that is in the gun now,this will be needed for the NEW cylinder as close as y0u can get to better fit YOUR gun,,,,,,,you can always shorten one up, tough to make them longer....good luck....I am guessing it is around 1.620" over all.........

·
Registered
261 Posts
Since the gun may have come out of the factory with both cylinders, could you check with Ruger? Ask if they will install a LR cylinder, and what they will charge.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,321 Posts
Jim, Ruger no longer supports Old Model Single-Sixes except to do the transfer bar modification.

Reactions: Gearhead Jim
1 - 11 of 11 Posts