Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sportsman's had a sale on their Heritage Rough Rider Model RR2286 for $30 off the regular price. I also signed up for their credit card and got an addition $18 off.
Out the door, with tax, it was $110.42.

Like many of my gun purchases, I didn't really "need" this gun. I recently bought a Wrangler and I have an old Rohm 22lr revolver and a GP100 22lr. It seems there is a fine line between "need" and "want". Now I need to decide if i "need" a magnum cylinder. :)

I will be going to the range tomorrow to check out the new gun and compare it with the Wrangler.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Font Gun accessory

·
Registered
365 Posts
I really like my Heritage Rough Rider. It's a great shooter. It might be one of the most accurate guns I own despite fairly basic sights - I kid you not. Worth every penny I spent on it. Tons of fun.

I think the manual safety/hammer block is a neat feature because it allows you to dryfire the snot out of the gun even though it's a rimfire.

The finish on mine was pretty rough in some areas (IE missing entirely). I looked at a few different pistols and they all had similar blemishes. This one was the best of the lot, believe it or not! But hey... for $100 I was willing to accept it. Sure ain't a collector's piece but I think everyone ought to have one in their collection.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You know for the price of 29.95 you gotta have the magnum cylinder, LOL. Them wants will cost one money. I got about the same deal on my Rough Rider, BUT, bought the mag cyln, and a purdy .22 lr cylinder with engraving, another set of grips, & of course a holster. Good thing I got a good deal on the gun.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good catch, sir— how is the cylinder lockup on it? It appears to have a pretty good, even finish.
The lockup it pretty tight but the Wrangler is a little tighter.
The finish is good. There were a few minor scratches on the top and on right sight of the frame. I cleaned it up and did a quick bluing job. It looks better. I may continue to work on it. I am seeing a few more minor dings that I can probably eliminate.

The ergonomics of the RR and the Wrangler are very similar. The RR is a little heavier but is well balanced.

I prefer the HH cylinder clicks for loading and unloading, versus the Wrangler's free spinning cylinder.

The HH trigger pull feels quite a bit lighter.

I prefer the transfer bar safety over the manual safety, but it isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have several Rugers, but have just never cared for the looks of the revolvers(357's, 44"s), although I'm sure they are as solid as they come. I never looked at the single six untill a lot of these threads started coming along talkin about wranglers & rough riders & such. Lookin at the price of em, I can understand why the Wranglers & Rough Riders sell so well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like my Heritage Rough Rider. It's a great shooter. It might be one of the most accurate guns I own despite fairly basic sights - I kid you not. Worth every penny I spent on it. Tons of fun.

I think the manual safety/hammer block is a neat feature because it allows you to dryfire the snot out of the gun even though it's a rimfire.

The finish on mine was pretty rough in some areas (IE missing entirely). I looked at a few different pistols and they all had similar blemishes. This one was the best of the lot, believe it or not! But hey... for $100 I was willing to accept it. Sure ain't a collector's piece but I think everyone ought to have one in their collection.

It looks like yours is beat up quite a bit more than mine. It may be better if they start out with a few dings, so you don't freak out when you get new ones. My Henry Golden Boy was perfect when I got it and I somehow managed to put some surface scratches on it and now they bother me every time I pick up the gun. They sell a replacement cover for $40. I may have to buy one. OCD is a bitch!

·
Registered
699 Posts

Like you, I didn't know that I needed a new gun when I was in the Sportsman's Warehouse but for the price I couldn't refuse. Mine turns out to be an excellent example. Fit is perfect and it shoots great. I think you will be pleased with the accuracy of your new toy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It looks like yours is beat up quite a bit more than mine. It may be better if they start out with a few dings, so you don't freak out when you get new ones. My Henry Golden Boy was perfect when I got it and I somehow managed to put some surface scratches on it and now they bother me every time I pick up the gun. They sell a replacement cover for $40. I may have to buy one. OCD is a bitch!
I don't think those are dings or dents. I think that's how haphazardly the finish is applied. I looked at a number of pistols and they all looked similar. Fresh out the box and still in the oiled bag.

I commented to the salesman, "I like this, but it looks like the display model has been a little banged up. Have anymore in back?".
He returned and brought out another. I looked it over and it, too was looking pretty rough. I asked for another. Same thing. He grabbed gun after gun. After seeing little to no improvement in quality I settled on the 4th or 5th example.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
Congrats ... fine line? What you talking about Willis? What I want is what I get ...

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
846 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase. I love my Rough Rider.
This summer i took my grandson out to shoot a few of my .22's.
The Rough Rider ended up being the one he enjoyed the most.

Mine came with the .22Mag cylinder, but I've never shot it with .22Mag.

You need a gunbelt for it, though.
Human body Wood Wood stain Flooring Hardwood

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase. I love my Rough Rider.
This summer i took my grandson out to shoot a few of my .22's.
The Rough Rider ended up being the one he enjoyed the most.

Mine came with the .22Mag cylinder, but I've never shot it with .22Mag.

You need a gunbelt for it, though.
View attachment 161493
Nice rig right there ...

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
846 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’m curious???????

I have a couple of these, does anyone here have both the heritage and The comparable ruger revolver that just came out in the last couple years?

My question is

For the money is the ruger better or the heritage better ????
Should I just buy another heritage and pass on the ruger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 74 Posts