Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try these Hogue Monogrip Revolver grips for my beloved S&W642 .38spc.
I like the Hogue® Tamer Monogrip® grips on our LCRx and wanted to try them on my 642 to help with preceived recoil. Getting on in years and I still love my 38's for me personally they are dependable but range time can be short lived because of recoil. I had the original grips for years and tried the smooth wood grips by S&W that I really liked but will give these a go. They are a little larger, went on easy and seem to fit my hand good. They fit well in my holsters and the speed loaders have no issues. Will get to the range for a test session or two.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have used those grips in the past. They sure provide good purchase and make for a comfortable shooting experience. I think you will like them.

I currently use the Altamont Bataleur grips, which surprisingly do a very good job on felt recoil because they completely cover the back strap and spread the recoil out. Although, I had to do quite a bit of sanding/polishing to get speedloaders to clear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love the S&W .357 in those photos. Those Altamont Bataleur grips look promising too. I found the S&W smooth wooden grips I tried did not have any issues with recoil for me like the original. The Hogues are up next and I look forward to my next trip to test them out. Again I I like that S&W in the photos.

Reactions: ScottCard

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rick: Want to try one more? Try the Ergo Delta grips - look like something Batman would use, but allow you to get three full fingers on the grip without really lengthening it (angles to the rear). Great for controlling recoil and pretty natural pointing. Slim so shouldn't be a concern for concealing, holsters or speed loaders. Here they are on my 638...

Cheap - can be had for $20 - $25 on eBay.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First range test with the Hogue Monogrip Revolver grips on my S&W642. Turns out for me they really helped with recoil and at least this session I had much better groupings. That is what I wanted first off and second it allows me to put more rounds down range for practice. I had no issues with the larger sized grips and just love them. I look forward to keeping this in my range bag and will shoot more rounds. Usually just put 10 or 15 rounds down wind and this time I put almost 50 without a issue. I like them as much as the ones on our LCRx and glad I went through with them. Now just looking forward to next range visit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rick - I'm familiar with the Match speed loader, although I didn't know they made them for the 5-shot J-frame. I have one for the 6-shot K-frame that was given to me by a former Sky Marshall (from the first time around, in the 70's). It was loaded with Super Vel ammo. What brand are the pentagonal loaders?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick - I'm familiar with the Match speed loader, although I didn't know they made them for the 5-shot J-frame. I have one for the 6-shot K-frame that was given to me by a former Sky Marshall (from the first time around, in the 70's). It was loaded with Super Vel ammo. What brand are the pentagonal loaders?
Adios,
Pizza Bob
Just got them last month. So far I like them but still practicing with them. (2 pack $9.00) J-CLIP™ Speed Loader for 5-Shot J-Frame Size Revolvers from Zeta. I still like the HKS but these have been good too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting. I didn't really notice that the tab was integral to the body of the loader. It's like a speed strip only for all five cartridges at once.

BTW, I see that I made a typo - the other speed loader is a Matich, not Match.

·
Righteous Dude
21,629 Posts
I've currently got Hogues on my S&W 64 2" snub. They look ok, but they feel great! My grips have the open backstrap. They certainly work well on certain firearms.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. I didn't really notice that the tab was integral to the body of the loader. It's like a speed strip only for all five cartridges at once.

BTW, I see that I made a typo - the other speed loader is a Matich, not Match.
*Still working on my technique with the Zeta and the tab. I like the Matich style strip because for me it just falls into place with out fumbling. The HKS speed loader is fast for me too but I got these to test out. The Matich style loader drops right in place and worth looking at. I missed your typo but thought you met the Matich design. Getting old is not fun somedays so I have to learn new ways to speed load, work on trigger control and improve sight picture. Fun tho.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've currently got Hogues on my S&W 64 2" snub. They look ok, but they feel great! My grips have the open backstrap. They certainly work well on certain firearms.
I have been trying to find a S&W model 64 locally for awhile in any barrel length. Should have gotten one last year when I had the chance. Last month I almost got one with a 2" barrel but the owner decided to keep his because of the current climate. The Hogue's I put on my S&W 642 are not as pretty as the smooth S&W wooden ones but I like them much better for shooting. Really like the feel shooting

Reactions: Neon Horse

·
Righteous Dude
21,629 Posts
I have been trying to find a S&W model 64 locally for awhile in any barrel length. Should have gotten one last year when I had the chance. Last month I almost got one with a 2" barrel but the owner decided to keep his because of the current climate. The Hogue's I put on my S&W 642 are not as pretty as the smooth S&W wooden ones but I like them much better for shooting. Really like the feel shooting
It's tough to find them currently... Even the common 4" models. Probably because they're great! The 2" and 3" models have been vaporware. I lucked upon the 2" awhile back and jumped on it when it was offered. Awesome little piece. So are the Js... And the Ls... And well, I like most of them. 😊

·
Registered
25 Posts
While I have my 638 (pictured above with the Delta grips), I have to give the nod for .38/.357 carry to my 3" Model 65-5. This was worked over my Mike LaRocca of MA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts