Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a right handed holster with a thumb break. Itys my back up weapon it my S&W 669 Taurus 605 and Taurus ultra-lite which is 45 long colt. being left handed I have found that a right handed holster is the way to go. Reason several years ago I use to drive for a dealership swapping cars and trucks out. I never carried cash but did carry a great amount in checks. I once had a deal in the big city this kid well young man came up to me and says give me those checks. I had a gas pump nozzle in my hand and aI reached into my pocket and pulled out my liter and told that jerk like hell I will. He took off running.
I started carrying after that, another time I had sevral young men pull up and tell me nice car. I have my gun on the left side as I am left handed. So I figure I'll keep one on the right side easier to get too if your driving. I figure a car jacking will happen close up.
I remember someone writting in a magazine that you needed a Model 29 4 44 mag sitting on your dash and have one of the old type muscle car to prevent car jacking. I wonder what this person was thinking when they wrote that? One never knows these days.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
tried ankle carry one time for a Smith 36 and decided ankle carry was not for me. So i just took the rig, trimmed it, and mounted it to the steering column with the gun on the bottom side. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never thought of that good thinking.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Snuffy...being lefty's tough when driving...a backup on the right side makes great sense...or right-handed cross-draw...I park outside or I'd like the gun on column idea...that'd be fast...so would a hand inside a canvas bank-type bag with a snubby...on the seat beside you...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea all good ideas the main thing is that you have be a ware of whats going on around you. I wore both holsters while out today I must say not bad at all. of course the guys at the gun story asked me why I told them I don't want to wake up dead. I really like the holster it will take the colt Trooper that I have also.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have put a handgun in the passenger seat and put a baseball cap over it so nobody notices anything but the hat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, speaking of new holsters, I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I just received my new holster. I purchased a Galco vertical shoulder holster, tan. I have a 4" GP100 and thought this would be to carry it (I have a CCW). Anyway, when I ordered, I thought it would make sense to get the strap downs. I ordered one for the ammo pouch side and one for the holster side (as both were seemingly available options). When my holster arrived, I proceeded to break it in according to the manufacturer's recommendations, size it for my body frame and attach the strap downs. The pouch side was no problem, but when I went to put the holster side strap on, there was no snap to attach it to. Is there supposed to be a snap for the holster side strap? Is it supposed to be worn without a strap? It just seems that when I draw, my piece tends to hang in the holster...it seems that a tie strap would enable my to draw without pulling my left hand up to hold the holster. Also, why would Galco offer that holster side strap if wouldn't fit this rig? Maybe the strap is offered as a general option for any rig, but you'd think Galco would have made a note that the strap wouldn't work with the holster side??? I would appreciate anyone's input if you have any experience with this situation. Bo.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Common sense would say it should have worked...however, computers only do what we key in....so who knows...I bet you could send it back and get it rectified, but that would take weeks...I'd go to my local boot shop-have him punch two holes on the back(towards the body) side, lace the leather bootstrap through the holes, make two in the snap strap that threads on your pants belt, and off you go...the strap should still unsnap from your belt if you need to take it off...but it's hard to draw, conceal, or re-holster with the bottom flappin' loose...worth a try... and you could have it the same day...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks sheepdog, that's probably what I'll do. I just didn't know if I was doing something wrong with what I had. I've still got the leather strap for the holster side, so I'm sure someone could actually make it look factory. I've been wearing the rig to get used to it in the evenings. Firearms are a big no-no at my workplace, but I do plan on wearing it to a NRA Foundation banquet on June 1st. I'll wear a sportcoat with my rig/GP underneath. Thanks again sheepdog. Bo.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd hate to have metal detector duty at THAT get-together...now hat and gun check boy....I could get into that....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just to reiterate Sheepdog's comment. I know nothing about holsters, don't even own one yet. But shoe or boot places who know leather don't have to know anything about holsters either to do what you ask. There's a shoe place in a mall near my office and sometimes my wife gives me horse tack to take in there to reinforce this or replace that. They don't have to know anything about tack, they just follow instructions and do a nice job. For cheap, too!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if contacting them and explaining what is wrong would help. I agree the gun should come out fast and clean. I have a saddle maker make awestern rig for me his so call gun fighter. Well he line the holster with swade leather. Yep the slow easy fast draw I ever saw. Nice looking rig, but that is all it has looks. Guess he wanted to protect my pistol but by doing that with swade the pistol can't be used to protect me.
I guess what I need to do is invest in a bunch of leather and tool's and start making holsters for ya'll. Seems the only way anyone is going to get a good rig is from someone that actually carries and using guns daily. You go to one of these leather places ya tell them what ya want and you get the deer in the head lite look. Heck if I wanted that all the time I would have stayed married.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You know, Snuffy, I thought about contacting the manufacturer, but I purchased it not directly from Galco, but through a site on the net that I found it the cheapest. I guess I figured it wasn't worth the hassle. I am going to take sheepdogs and Eddie's advice and find a leathersmith around. I haven't had the opportunity yet.

Funny you should mention "deer in the head lite" Snuffy. This morning on the way to work, a deer T-boned my Nissan Frontier. Hit the driver side door right where my mirror was. Shattered the whole mirror assembly, crushed the door and did some major denting to the bed quarterpanel on that side. Called the insurance company and took it into a shop they have as one of their preferred vendors. $2,622.00, less my $500 deductible. No more Rugers for while longer. Oh and I'm not even mentioning three weeks ago when my quad got a bit loose in the bed and cost me $200 for a new rear window. :( Enough of the poor me. Thanks for the input Snuffy. If I can't find a leathersmith, I will shoot Galco an email. Bo.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dang Bo if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all pal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts