Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the LC9 with crimson trace laser yesterday, went and shot about 100 rounds, no problems, got home, front sight is waaayy left, looking at it, it is loose. wtf? :confused:

so we were getting ready to clean it, and now the laser quit. pulled it apart, and if I wiggle the battery, the laser comes on bright, wiggle some more, it dims and goes out. :(

This is the first ruger either of us have had, and so far, not impressed. going to call ruger in the AM and see what to do about both.

I know they will fix it, it is just annoying that this all happened on the second day of owning it. Wife is not happy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Understand the frustration, but I have been a Ruger fan for years. In fact I bought 2 LC9s for me and the wife. Took them out to shoot and mine blew out the extractor. Sent it in and it did the same thing a second time. They then replaced the slide assembly and I haven't had any more issues. The wife's has never missed a lick. I think the front sight issue was on some earlier models, but I thought they had fixed it on the later ones produced. My front sights are good and solid. I'm still happy with my Rugers.
As far as the laser, that's not a Ruger issue of course.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum from NW Indiana My LC9 the laser was so bad with not working I took it off and left it off
I paid an extra $150 for it, so I want it on there, that is why I bought it. :D

I know all will be fixed, just sucks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ruger will likely send you a new slide, with a pinned sight, They will send a prepaid return shipping package for return of the original slide. Check the laser terminals for good contact and being clean. You may have to slightly bend them to tighten the contact. If the laser still doesn't work right tell Ruger. They might stock replacement lasers and you won't need the call to CT. If not call Crimson Trace. They will also send out a new laser with a return envelope.

It's a pain with a new gun, but in no time it will be right. These are mechanical parts, and sometimes something goes wrong. In your case two things went wrong. This is not normal but can be quickly fixed.

I've had the CT Laser on my LC9, for over a year. My problem is the activation (on/off) switch. (1.) It does not always light when I grip the gun. CT sent a replacement laser, saying the switch may be bad. The new laser had the same issue, if I didn't grip it just perfect, it would not light. I have to "death grip" it to guarantee it goes on and stays on. (2.) I also do not like the 1/4 inch step that the button sticks out. I can only get two fingers on the grip of my LC9, as I do not use the extended base plate. The 1/4 inch step for the button makes an uncomfortable grip for me. I ended up gluing a rubber block under to button to even up the grip. Other than that the laser has worked fine. I have a LaserMax on another gun. I prefer the activation button on that laser. The laser specs are identical between the two units. The LM button is right where my trigger finger rests, when not on the trigger. What is also better is the laser can stay off, when shooting. This is not so with the CT, unless you adjust your grip, so it doesn't rest on the button. With my CT laser and problem #1., all I have to do is slightly lighten my death grip and the laser goes off.

Bob

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear! I know it has to be frustrating, I know I would be pissed. If it's any consolation, Ruger's customer service is second to none. Good luck and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My rear site was so loose it almost fell off after 100 rounds. The guys at the range fixed it and said if it happens again, use blue Loctite.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Glad it's getting taken care of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How do I know if my sight is pinned? It isn't loose after 300 rounds, but should I prophylacticly order a new slide? Rear sight damn near fell off in first 100 rounds. No loctite on it yet.

If I need a new slide, do I just call Ruger?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Understand the frustration, but I have been a Ruger fan for years. In fact I bought 2 LC9s for me and the wife. Took them out to shoot and mine blew out the extractor. Sent it in and it did the same thing a second time. They then replaced the slide assembly and I haven't had any more issues. The wife's has never missed a lick. I think the front sight issue was on some earlier models, but I thought they had fixed it on the later ones produced. My front sights are good and solid. I'm still happy with my Rugers.
As far as the laser, that's not a Ruger issue of course.
I've had Rugers before, and I consider myself a Ruger fan, but for the life of me, after reading about a disturbing amount of issues with their guns, if one of my Rugers has issues, I'm selling them and going to S&W or some other manufacturer. It's really odd, back in the 80s, Ruger was the gun to beat when it came to dependability. :confused:

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You will hear many stories of problems, no matter what manufacturer you choose. I have many new Ruger products, and have had exactly one problem, and that was handled quickly, and painlessly. When someone has a problem, they come to the forums for advise, and help. Many thousands of new product owners have no problems, and you never hear from them. When you consider how many LC9s that have been produced, its actually amazing that there are a very small number of complaints posted on the forums. I am interested in the LC9(I own two, for several years now)and read every thread I see about the pistol, and honestly, there aren't many complaints. Most are about the design of the trigger, not reliability.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. I agree, people are 10x more likely to complain than to take the time and praise something.

Providing my LC9 doesn't have a mechanical issue, :p I heartily endorse it. It has several design features that I like: the frame-mounted safety, and I like the long trigger pull. I appreciate the thought that goes behind it, it makes the gun safer for concealed carry. I am the kind of shooter who can easily adapt to the individual firearm and learn it. I don't have an issue with the magazine disconnect, either, that's a non-issue for me. The recoil is a little rough on the hands after 200 rounds but I'm a big boy, I can handle it. Best of all, I can hit the target with crazy-good accuracy with this gun, and that's snapping off shots, not long targeting in. I feel very confident with the LC9 as my protection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got an LC9 with Crimson Trace laser for Christmas. The laser worked great for annoying the cat but quit intermittingly first time at the range. I called Crimson Trace customer service and they promptly (received in 7 days) sent a new laser along with a prepaid envelope for returning the defective one. The bad news was that a new product malfunctioned. The good news is that they did not ask me to return the defective one first, insist on proof of purchase, or try the easy/cheap alternative (new battery) before replaceing the entire unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea, I still have the old one here, need to call ruger and get the return shipping label, it wasn't in the box.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts