Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new LC9 yesterday, and haven't shot it yet. I didn't notice the slide to frame fit in the LGS, but when I got it home, I noticed that the slide has quite a bit of play when unloaded.

Is this normal? I could still probably return the pistol for a different gun, but I don't want to return it for a "non-problem".

I bought this pistol mainly for pocket or summer IWB carry as a primary weapon.

Also, on another note, I know there's a thread here that asks if "you'd buy another LC9", or something like that, and it seems posters are all over the map on whether the LC9 is a reliable pistol...I can live with the trigger, as long as it goes bang when I want it to.

Should I return this gun and get an LCR or another gun?

Thanks for any advice here.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I just bought a new LC9 yesterday, and haven't shot it yet. I didn't notice the slide to frame fit in the LGS, but when I got it home, I noticed that the slide has quite a bit of play when unloaded.
Play where? Front to back? Side to side? Tell us a little more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I hold the frame with my left hand, and move the front of the slide from side to side with my right hand, the slide will move .01" from center in either direction.

I can gently shake the pistol and hear the rattle of the slide moving within the frame.

I guess it's better to not have too tight of tolerances in some parts (from the standpoint of running without a "break in" period), but I've never had a pistol with that much play.

It might be normal for the design, and if so, I'll keep it and start running rounds through it.

If I look at the muzzle end when UNLOADED, I can easily see the metal slide gaps on either side of the slide within the polymer frame.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah, the slide movement you're describing is normal.

·
Registered
590 Posts
kal101, As you've noticed so far there is alot of different opinions on this little pistol. I've had my problems. 1st I had a Hammer Catch Spring that came loose so I sent it back. 2nd I sent it back due to the slide being too loose (like you described). They replaced the slide and barrel. 3rd I sent it back again for the loose slide and barrel peening (very little). They wanted to look at the peening. This time they sent me a new gun. The slide is still loose. I sent this one back due to a problem with having trouble reinserting the Take Down Pin. It's a real pain to get it to go in straight. On my first gun it would almost fall in. They gave me a new slide and barrel but it's still a pain to get the pin in. Ruger Customer Service has been great. Now......After saying all that you might be thinking the LC9 isn't too reliable. Well I will say "I" have had some problems BUT, I still like this gun. It's always cycled well and a pleasure to carry concealed. It's real light and thin and rides great in an IWB holster. Do I trust it with my life? Yes I do and carry it regularly. That's if I'm not carrying my SR9c.;) Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
114 Posts
On my second slide also but that was just a cosmetic issue. Having many failure to ejects and feed now using 3 different types of ammo and it does it will all 3 magazines.

Still can't hit the side of a barn with it yet I can completely cover all rounds placed at 15 yards ,with my P938, with the bottom of a pop can. Well that is an exageration. Just have to aim for a neck shot to get a center mass shot since it shoots so low.

As soon as I can get Ruger to send me a stock trigger bar then mine is going down the road. I have had enough of this POS from Ruger.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
On my second slide also but that was just a cosmetic issue. Having many failure to ejects and feed now using 3 different types of ammo and it does it will all 3 magazines.

Still can't hit the side of a barn with it yet I can completely cover all rounds placed at 15 yards ,with my P938, with the bottom of a pop can. Well that is an exageration. Just have to aim for a neck shot to get a center mass shot since it shoots so low.

As soon as I can get Ruger to send me a stock trigger bar then mine is going down the road. I have had enough of this POS from Ruger.
So, help me understand. You have modified several things, filed, polished, & ground on items & it does not function properly. I'm shocked. I wish you could shoot my stock one, you would be amazed at how well it smoothed out & how good it functions. It's almost like Ruger knew what they were doing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So, help me understand. You have modified several things, filed, polished, & ground on items & it does not function properly. I'm shocked. I wish you could shoot my stock one, you would be amazed at how well it smoothed out & how good it functions. It's almost like Ruger knew what they were doing.
Yeap, I cleaned up everything in the blocker button system to get rid of the stacking and gritty trigger.

I also did the trigger bar and hammer mod to shorten the trigger pull, which by the way has no effect on the weapons ability to eject rounds and load rounds properly. Heck I even gave the feed ramp a slight polish to see if it would help. Only reason is my feedramp looked like steps rather then a ramp.

I also shortened the tab on the bottom of the loaded chamber indicator which also has NO effect on the function of the weapon.

Put more then 200 rounds through it just recently and nothing but issues again. So to date I have over 500 rounds through it.

Like they say, you can polish a turd but it is still a turd.

It probly wouldn't be so bad if they had not lawyered it up so bad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yikes! And I thought that the PF9 I bought 2 years ago was a little picky about ammo...that,and the fluff and buff and all that other stuff needed to get and keep the pistol running.:confused:

And then there was my first LC9 I bought 1 year ago, and traded last June...after sending it back to Ruger to re-center and pin my front sight, and check the fp channel because of light primer hits.

I don't know why, but I thought that Ruger had fixed those and other teething problems by now, and so took another chance on the LC9...I really do like the size, weight, and rounded contours for easy drawing out of pockets and around other clothing. Reliability is something I need, and so I'm afraid I'll have to try to return this unfired pistol.

I've owned a 709 and a 740, and both of these pistols ran all ammo without a hitch. I traded them because the size of these pistols was just a little large for pocket carry (in my pockets), and that's an option that I want, and also the contours on the slides and frames were a little sharp. I presently have a 9mm Shield, and it's also a trouble-free pistol (that once again is a little too large for carrying in my jeans and walking shorts pockets, and so I CCW it on my belts).

So I can try another LCR or 642 for pocket carry, and have a supply of OTC meds for pain control, and maybe find a reliable compact pistol for IWB that also fits my hands so I can reach the trigger without stretching. Even my SR40c could use a grip reduction, (if there were such a thing for it) to fit my hand well. Or maybe a CM9 Kahr?

I guess maybe I was wrong...maybe Ruger's having a problem keeping up with production to meet demand after yet another election of a gun-grabbing administration.:(

Thanks again, and sorry for the length of this post...I guess I'm gonna have to step back, and decide what's most important to me in my next purchase, and focus on that. I can always pocket-carry my Taurus 738, if I could only get my head around a 90gr bullet going 875fps, and still feel confident in its terminal ballistics.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Kal101
There is nothing wrong with the LC9.
I have had mine for almost a year' it has functioned well for a CCW.
That is what it is for. Many people have stated this on this site, many more than have complained.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the only problem i have had is when the front sight came loose. apperantly this has been an issue because ruger sent me a whole new slide with the front sight pinned in. other then that i have shot 800 or so rounds with no problem. Ruger had the slide sent to the gun shop in 3 days.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My LC9 has been flawless, couple thousand rounds through it. It's my nighttime carry weapon w/CT laser.

·
Banned
108 Posts

Is this normal? I could still probably return the pistol for a different gun, but I don't want to return it for a "non-problem".

I bought this pistol mainly for pocket or summer IWB carry as a primary weapon.

Also, on another note, I know there's a thread here that asks if "you'd buy another LC9", or something like that, and it seems posters are all over the map on whether the LC9 is a reliable pistol...I can live with the trigger, as long as it goes bang when I want it to.

Should I return this gun and get an LCR or another gun?

Thanks for any advice here.
Mine has the play you describe and I've read about it here and elsewhere as being normal. It surprised me as well...

Almost 1,000 rounds with various ammo and not a single FTE or FTF (knock on wood) -- I really trust this thing and for a small handgun it packs a punch IMO.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have two LC9s. One is an early 2012 model, the second is brand new, Oct, 2012.

They are like two different guns. The new one has a much better feeling trigger -- smoother, and it doesn't seem to stack as much as the older one. The finish on the slide and sights is also much improved, but that's just cosmetic

There is a recurring rumor that Ruger did something with the much maligned trigger. I don't know what, and it isn't visible whatever it might have been. But you can definitely tell it.

The rumor is supported by the fact that they have had their MA certification lifted for some reason. The folks at Ruger say it has to do with the trigger weight.

Whatever it is, its an improved gun as a result. Good work, Ruger.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The serial number on the older gun is a 321 series, the new one is a 322. I've looked at the parts, they look identical, but they sure don't feel that way. Keep in mind, I'm no expert. I have only had two little guns, the LC9 and a Kel-Tec PF9. The PF9 is much maligned, too, but mine never missed a beat. Unfortunately it was (ahem) "appropriated" by my daughter and no longer lives at my house.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just picked my LC9 up this week and shot it the first time on Sunday. Trigger pull, though long, was very smooth. I was pleased with how I shot it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts