Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an Lc9 yesterday. I was looking forward to walk downstairs into the range, but it apparently it is closed on Wednesdays. Today I went back to shoot at the range. This is my first pistol. I've shot a buddy's Glock, but that's the only exposure I've had into handguns.

At the range, I bought the cheapest ammo which was blazer brass in the gold box. I shot one hundred rounds through my new gun. I had no problems firing. At first I thought I had one misfire, but it was actually the slide not staying back when the mag emptied. Does this sound like a successful day at the range? I'm new to this so I don't really know. I also didn't clean it before I shot the first rounds. I'm planning on trying to see how many rounds I can get out of it before it starts jamming. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Missouri. Glad to have you with us.

I would recommend you clean the gun before you shoot again, especially since you didn't give it an initial cleaning. I'm assuming you bought the gun new, and new guns frequently have a lot of excess grease, etc.

The object is to never, or at least infrequently, have jams or other malfunctions. "Trying to see how many rounds I can get out of it before it starts jamming" is not a good idea if not cleaning it is a part of that equation. If your planning on using your LC9 as a self defense weapon, you sure don't want that event to be the occasion of your first malfunction.

Most people try to get a least 200 trouble-free rounds through a gun before declaring it suitable for self defense purposes.

The LC9 is a good gun. Keep us informed as to your progress.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You picked a very good gun to start with . I like the size and low recoil for a small gun.
I agree with Kudzu you need to give it a good cleaning. But it did sound like a good day at the range. I have found that most of the time when the slide don't stay back on the last round it has been the mag to blame. It could be it may have some grease or something causing the follower to stick. ??
Good luck and shoot safe !

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would consider that a good day--especially since you didn't clean it ahead of time. I clean my pistols every time I come back from the range. Even if I've only run a couple of mags through them that day.

Shoot different brands and loads of ammo over time and multiple trips to the range. Long term testing will improve your confidence, shooting, and experience with "how" the pistol acts.

"How" is hard to put into words. But you'll have those moments where you all of a sudden get some part of shooting your pistol that takes you another step forward in the learning curve.

Lastly, have some patience. My LC9 was purchased new. Went back to Ruger after just 3 weeks. Shortly after that I decided to have a full Galloway trigger job. The pistol was greatly improved after repairs and Eric's work. But it has taken me some time to begin to appreciate the pistol as much as I do now.

I find myself shooting it more frequently and enjoying the results and the experience.

Since coming back from Ruger I have put almost 3000 more rounds through it without a single hiccup of any kind. I definitely trust it as an everyday carry.

·
Banned
108 Posts
I just bought an Lc9 yesterday. I was looking forward to walk downstairs into the range, but it apparently it is closed on Wednesdays. Today I went back to shoot at the range. This is my first pistol. I've shot a buddy's Glock, but that's the only exposure I've had into handguns.

At the range, I bought the cheapest ammo which was blazer brass in the gold box. I shot one hundred rounds through my new gun. I had no problems firing. At first I thought I had one misfire, but it was actually the slide not staying back when the mag emptied. Does this sound like a successful day at the range? I'm new to this so I don't really know. I also didn't clean it before I shot the first rounds. I'm planning on trying to see how many rounds I can get out of it before it starts jamming. Any thoughts?
The LC9 is my first handgun as well. Bought it used about a month ago. After 600+ rounds (plus whatever went through it prior to my purchase), not a single FTF or FTE. Several brands and types of 9mm ammo -- it seems to like everything so far. I like the reliability though it's slightly more difficult to shoot than I expected. Apparently that can be modified but I'm getting the hang of it so no need IMO.

Good luck with it and enjoy!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I just picked my LC9 today & cant wait to get it to the range this weekend.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have 2 LC9s and think they are a great SD gun. You have an amazing amount of power under your control, in such a small package. The sights are great for a gun designed for CC, the accuracy is supurb, and the ergonomics are perfect. I prefer a hammer fired gun over a striker type gun. I have shot revolvers for many years, so the trigger is just fine, as far as Im concerned. I started out with the factory LaserMax laser, but have since switched to the Crimson Trace laser. I think the LC9 and Crimson Trace laser makes it the best SD weapon available, Period.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The CT Laserguard will be the next addition to my LC9. I have the CTLG on my LCP and I also have one that I switch between my SR9c & SR40c and I cannot praise that laser sight enough, I wish I could afford CT lasers for all my firearms, but then I'd have to curb my firearm purchases......naw can't do that!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have 2 LC9s and think they are a great SD gun. You have an amazing amount of power under your control, in such a small package. The sights are great for a gun designed for CC, the accuracy is supurb, and the ergonomics are perfect. I prefer a hammer fired gun over a striker type gun. I have shot revolvers for many years, so the trigger is just fine, as far as Im concerned. I started out with the factory LaserMax laser, but have since switched to the Crimson Trace laser. I think the LC9 and Crimson Trace laser makes it the best SD weapon available, Period.
Why is the Crimson Trace better than the LaserMax? I have the Max and it seems pretty good. What are the advantages of the CT?

Thanks Bill

·
Registered
991 Posts
The CT activates as soon as you grip your firearm there is no button that you need to push to turn it on.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Why is the Crimson Trace better than the LaserMax? I have the Max and it seems pretty good. What are the advantages of the CT?

Thanks Bill
The Lasermax is a great laser. I have it on my LCP, but on the LCP, its easy to reach with my finger. On the LC9, its a stretch for me to activate. The Crimson Trace is instant when you grasp the gun, and if I ever had to use the LC9 to protect my life, I dont want to have to reach for the switch, instead of the trigger. Another thing about the LaserMax is the way the laser body wraps around the trigger guard. It cuts my finger under recoil. The Crimson Trace is made a little differently, and doesn't cut me. If I carried my LCP, I would put the Crimson Trace on it as well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Oh, I could see where that would be a big advantage over the Max. I have to say....my Max has never cut my finger....or even scratched it for that matter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I went back to the range with my new LC9. I shot 100 rounds, fifty of blazer brass and fifty remmington rounds I bought at walmart. The specs were the same for both.

I shot two mags of each type first, then I alternately loaded the rounds in each mag. So the I was shooting a different round with each shot. I did not have a single problem with shooting or ejecting the casing. Every round fired every time. I do believe I trust this gun. I have not cleaned it yet either. Two hundred rounds through it without one problem shooting.

Even though the shooting has been fantastic, my rear sight came loose at the range. I kept trying to figure out why I wasn't hitting the target. What is the best way to reattach it? I was thinking of putting some lock tight before I tighten it down. How do I know where to put it left to right?

I tried to attach a picture, but I could not figure out how.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Before you give it a final grade be sure to run 100-200 rounds of good SD ammo through it. I had a kel tec that worked just dandy with fmj but would not reliably work with any hollow point stuff I tried.

·
Registered
629 Posts

Sounds about like my LC9, I took it apart when new and it was very clean, gave it a light oiling and it functioned perfectly with any brand of ammo I have tried and continues to do so after about a thousand rounds or so.
I do clean all my firearms after a range session, so guess I am not doing a combat test to see how many rounds it will fire before failure.
To me a CCW for which I bought the LC9 for is about having a clean always ready reliable weapon, and hopefully never having to fire it in anger. The nice part my LC9 was under $300 on sale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts