Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all im new to the shooting hobby and just got a lcp 2. Is there any thing that needs to be done before I head to the range such as oiling since its new? Thank you

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
clean and lube before shooting - somewhere between many and all new pistols need the rust preventative removed and a proper lubricant added before use

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,579 Posts
eastman is spot on. Do yourself a favor. Take some time, read the manual, clean and lube the firearm. Get some good ammo and test it out at the range. Use a firm grip. Get some help if you need. Ask questions if you need help and keep a log. Good luck on your adventure.
*Enjoy it, be safe and be healthy.
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!
Rick

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you know someone who shoots, offer to take them to the range with you. Most will be happy to go and help you learn the basics, like proper sight picture, grip, stance and will likely be better able to handle any malfunctions you run into. Most modern guns are fairly reliable, but many will have a few problems when brand new. As other have said, get some quality ammo and enjoy after cleaning and lubricating.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are new KNOW THIS,. This is not a range gun, it’s for point blank emergency use. With that in mind expect to SUCK at first. It WILL hurt your hand after 20-40 rounds. Just expect these things and don’t get immediately disappointed . It takes some practice to get to shoot the mouse guns well.
I usually never shoot more than a box in mine. The rest are with something larger and far less punishing. If you do find it is killing your hands web you can get sleeve grips that help some and they’re cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies. How can I find out what areas I need to oil. I don't want to over do it. I did get the extended magazine so I would have a little more grip on the little guy. Thank.you

·
Registered
481 Posts
How can I find out what areas I need to oil.
Do you have a manual? Should have come with the gun.
If you didn't receive a manual with your LCP II, you can print one here https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/LCPII-Ls6Gb8Dsk45.pdf If this is not your specific model, go to Ruger.com. Look under customer service for manuals.

If you still have questions, I'd suggest you take your pistol to your local gun shop, explain your situation, ask for advice on lubricating it. Depending on the shop, look for an older guy behind the counter;). Most mom and pop shops are willing to help new gun owners. Then maybe buy some ammo for it or maybe some cleaning supplies. Everybody wins. Good luck with your LCP!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts