Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a brand new LCP II 22lr this week and took it to the range today. I'm definatly not impressed.

I was shooting Federal 40gr lead nose 1200fps. I had 8+ strike and no fires. Trying to clear the chamber by racking the slide caused jams every time. Had to start releasing the mag and the round would fall out. I reloaded the strike/no fire rounds randomly and they fired fine.

I then decided to load the Magazine and cycle the slide 3x to eject the rounds and each time about 4-5 would slide easily out of the barrel them cause a jamb in the chamber. The other ones ejected fine.

I then reloaded the mag 3x and tried this again with the gun upside down. All ejected.

I cleaned and oiled the gun before my first shoot with it also. I'm going to try some cci mini mag and see what it does, but I have a feeling I'll be calling Ruger.

Also the Magazine follower felt kind of rough. I took the floor plate off and cleaned out what looked like very light plastic. The follower looked a little scuffed up so I cleaned and oiled that and it does feel a little better. Not a good first experience.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That’s pretty common with this gun. Will not manually eject rounds with the magazine inserted or will double feed. Lots of light strikes. You can also expect broken firing pins if you dry fire it... so don’t do that even though the manual claims it’s OK. Another issue with some guns is the slide locking back with rounds still in the magazine.

Consider it a fun gun, not a CCW option

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Consider it a fun gun, not a CCW option
I don't consider "FUN" light strikes every mag reload haha, especially when racking the slide to eject it doesn't eject it and causes a double feed type situation.

I also took the barrel out and put several 22lr rounds in it to see the clearance and they easily slid back out on their own. Maybe I'll call Ruger Monday.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I know what a pain it is to have problems with a new gun & have to send it back to the factory. I wish we could exchange or return defective / non-functional firearms for refund like most other purchases, but "all sales final." Ruger does a good job of fixing it & getting it back to you fairly soon.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't consider "FUN" light strikes every mag reload haha, especially when racking the slide to eject it doesn't eject it and causes a double feed type situation.
FWIW I get more light strikes with Federal than other brands. Aguila and CCI seem the best for mine if you can find it. CCI > Aguila

·
Registered
390 Posts
Unloading a dud round from the LCPII .22 has been reported several times to Ruger, mine included. I agree that this issue needs to be corrected by Ruger. However in every other way mine has been a great little pistol. Using CCI Mini Mags, Remington Golden bullets, and Aquila HV, I may have had a few but not many FTF.

I do suggest that you contact Ruger support and document the issue. Perhaps if enough people complain they might actually develop a fix. I personally thing it’s a mag issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally thing it’s a mag issue.
It almost seems like the ejector almost hangs on too long and the slide goes back far enough/then forward to try to chamber another round causing the jam situation or the extractor lets go prematurely and slide goes back then forward releasing another round from the mag/trying to chamber it.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I had some light strikes with mine, but they settled down after a few hundred rounds. Then I started getting premature slide lock backs with rounds still in the mag. It went back to Ruger, and they replaced the slide lock. Great turnaround as usual, 12 days from when I shipped it until I got it back. It will be going to the range on Tuesday, and I hope it's good to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
20210312_163125.jpg
20210312_163125.jpg
I am having some frame battering on mine. There are definite dings in the aluminum frame in front of the trigger pivot pin. I think ruger is feeding it customers a sandwich of the brown type. I have all the issues as described above, that I have fixed with a feed ramp polish, and smoothing the breech face, which was in
horrible shape. Crap .22 ammo is also to blame. I am thinking a lawsuit could be in order, for such a horrible product. Then they lie about what the guns capabilities are! Im not PISSED OFF.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Keep in mind I’m a novice when it come to pistols but my testing shows that the jam occurs while retracting the round in that the next round in the mag presses up on the round coming out with sufficient pressure to raise it off of the extractor and pins the round bereeen the chamber opening and that next round. Yours may be different.
The slide moving forward at the point only makes the jam a bit harder.

my thoughts on it being a mag issue is two fold. One, is the angle of the follower raises the nose of the round much higher than is needed. Two, the spring tension is a bit more than needed and the two things together apply enough upward movement to get in the way of a proper manual extraction. I could be all wet but that’s how I see it.

this picture was taken after moving the slide backward with no forward movement. At this point the rounds are already jammed. It works fine while shooting as the inertia from the fired round overcomes the upward lift.

It almost seems like the ejector almost hangs on too long and the slide goes back far enough/then forward to try to chamber another round causing the jam situation or the extractor lets go prematurely and slide goes back then forward releasing another round from the mag/trying to chamber it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not impressed with mine either. First one broke, and Ruger replaced it. Second one went back also, but was supposed to be repaired. I give up on new Rugers. I like Ruger, but I have lousy luck buying their new guns.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Wildtoad said:
my thoughts on it being a mag issue is two fold. One, is the angle of the follower raises the nose of the round much higher than is needed. Two, the spring tension is a bit more than needed and the two things together apply enough upward movement to get in the way of a proper manual extraction. I could be all wet but that’s how I see it.
Well, you're at least a little bit damp.

All rounds between the top one and bottom one sit exactly at what I call "the flip angle". This angle is determined by the OAL of the ammo you've loaded, and the front-to-back length of the mag. Only the bottom round is affected by the angle of the follower, and only when there's more rounds above it. The angle of the top round is set by the rear feed lips on the mag, and how the mag sits in the mag well.

I don't have one of these pistols, so forgive my not knowing if the mags are adjustable (steel) or not (plastic). If the lips can be adjusted, I find that my mark pistol mags work best with the space at the rear (rim contact area) set to 0.210" and the front space (between the tips) set to 0.190". I made an adjustment tool and added a couple strips of tape precut to these widths for fast reference.

Note- the term "flip angle" is the angle that the top round will try to flip up if exceeded. The nose of the feeding bullet needs to be inside the chamber mouth before this angle is reached, or the bullet will flip up and miss feeding into the chamber.

If these mags are not adjustable, shimming the mag well and/or trimming the mag release are the probable fixes that come to mind. I would need to play around with a problem pistol in hand to determine what would work best.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Being called “damp” is ok with me. Either way, seems the the next round to be fired is unnecessarily in the way.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Mine does not like bulk ammo with the exception of some high velocity Federal that was claiming 1200 fps. It runs Mini Mags without any issues but CCI standard velocity had a few hiccups (light strikes & fte’s). Not to stray too far off subject, I had a 1st gen LCP in .380 that worked great with good defense ammo but not so much with regular fmj practice ammo. Also had a LC9s that was nothing but trouble. With the exception of the LC9s the other 2 LCP’s ran well with hotter ammo. These are budget pistol’s & small ones at that. That being said I’d figure one would like to run budget ammo in a budget pistol. I got rid of my LCP & LC9s. I think I’m going to hang on to my LCP II .22 because the price difference in good/hotter ammo in .22lr is more negotiable than its centerfire counterparts. Every now & then I’ll shove it in my pocket; but, it’s not what I would consider a backup pistol for self defense. It’s more of a if I see an unwanted varmint in the backyard & I’m feeling lucky type of pistol. That & a range toy being as centerfire ammo is too expensive to have fun with. Hopefully it’ll holdup & last a long time, I’ve got about 800-900 rds through it so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went back to the range today. 1st clip of Federal 1 FTF. Fired 2nd try after reloading. Second clip i loaded some cci mini mag. No issues. I kept alternating between the 2 each mag reload.

Put around 170 rounds of Federal through with 5 total FTF. 4 fired second try and the 5th would not fire.

The slide locked back with rounds still in the magazine 3 or 4 times while shooting the cci. I put 90 rounds of cci through it.

I've got about 549 rounds total through it. I cleaned it when I got home then called Ruger. Just dropped it off at FedEx to go back to them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Went back to the range today. 1st clip of Federal 1 FTF. Fired 2nd try after reloading. Second clip i loaded some cci mini mag. No issues. I kept alternating between the 2 each mag reload.

Put around 170 rounds of Federal through with 5 total FTF. 4 fired second try and the 5th would not fire.

The slide locked back with rounds still in the magazine 3 or 4 times while shooting the cci. I put 90 rounds of cci through it.

I've got about 549 rounds total through it. I cleaned it when I got home then called Ruger. Just dropped it off at FedEx to go back to them.
Well, that's not good. Sorry to hear about your troubles with it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The only ammo mine has not liked is winchester white box in the 333, 555 round packs. I have run just about anything else I have thorugh it, CCI, Blazer lead, Federal 36 grain HP, Aguila, and even another type of winchester super x, the "super speed" 1300fps 40 grain round nose, and still the super X is the only one it doesn't like. I think I had a couple bad batches of it.

I don't think it's the gun- if all you tried through it was the federal 40 grain, it's probably the ammo. Try something else.

I have run probably 500 rounds through mine, and like I said only ammo I have that it doesn't like is the Winchester Super x bulk packs.

Reactions: TNMark
1 - 20 of 59 Posts